RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have our 2016 RR ATB for about 3 weeks now. Recently we've been noticing mild rattling sound over bumps and rough road. It gets very annoying sometimes, like it is falling apart! I trouble shooted a bit while my wife was driving today...it appears to go away when each front window is dropped a tad bit so it's not completely sealed shut. Almost feels like the issue with the window motor, perhaps closing it too tightly??

Any thoughts regarding similar experience or advice would be much appreciated. I'm thinking of taking it to the workshop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is yours the LWB? If so I had a rattle initially when the rear side sunshades were down. I don't notice it when they are up so that is where they stay.

With our previous 2015 some of the windows did not go up fully. I would hear more of a whistle with that. I solved that by just triggering the appropriate switch a few more times.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I have a few that are bothering me on my 2015, but I need a good passenger to help investigate ... my main passenger, the 14 year old isn't willing to stick his ear up against vents, windows, etc ... he gives me this look :roll:.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
That's one cool look. :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. SWB. Taking it to workshop tomorrow ..lets see

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a few that are bothering me on my 2015, but I need a good passenger to help investigate ... my main passenger, the 14 year old isn't willing to stick his ear up against vents, windows, etc ... he gives me this look :roll:.
Coincidently, my 14 years old is the one that got bothered the most. He's the one who had me pay attention to it in the first place :p

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Coincidently, my 14 years old is the one that got bothered the most. He's the one who had me pay attention to it in the first place :p
`) Too bad you're in the Bay area or I would borrow him for a test ride!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:clap:

Will keep in mind when we are in SoCal next time :)

Btw, took to dealership and looks like it's fixed. They did bunch of stuff (installed silver atlas vents), updated Nav Firmware, fixed deployable side steps (stopped working when they updated rear seat heating firmware) etc etc. Don't really know what happened but the sound is gone now!! Will keep on monitoring.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had a rattling noise also took me 2 weeks to figure out but I found it. Turns out when the sunroof blind is halfway open and the windows are open and makes a rattling noise or if the sunroof is completely closed it also makes a rattling noise so to stop this I will just have to have the shade completely retracted.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ok so here is my story for my squeak/rattle. The front right quarter panel had a loose rivet in it. Sitting in the drivers seat is sounded like it was right behind the glove box but I couldn't find it. I opened the hood to check around the windscreen and fire wall area just to see what I could see and when I leaned on the quarter panel I heard the squeak. I would have sworn the squeak was inside the cabin but there you go. So when looking for squeaks and rattles, consider everything!

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's scaring Crafty, my three weeks old MY16 noise is identical to a Geiger Counter, sometimes I ear it like if I am seated on a nuclear reactor, sometimes like if I am ten miles from it and, sometimes, anything in between. It seems to come from behind the dash, sometimes from the ceiling. For now I've been able to associate it to an outside climate temperature between 12 and 18°Celsius, but this keeps open a variety of combinations of climate fans, radiators, windows etc.
I would pay big money to be able to reproduce it when nee[dealer]d...

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
And a reminder to those of you with the premium sound system that has Conversation Assist (CA). CA has speakers and microphones that help to amplify conversation in the cabin. The CA was the source of my major rattle back in Feb/March 2015 and a few other members here, with RR and RRS, have had "big rattles" due to the microphones picking up, and amplifying, what would normally be a small rattle or vibration sound. It took over a month to diagnose on my ATB. So if you have an ATB and/or the premium sound system with CA make sure that the CA system gets looked at too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And a reminder to those of you with the premium sound system that has Conversation Assist (CA). CA has speakers and microphones that help to amplify conversation in the cabin. The CA was the source of my major rattle back in Feb/March 2015 and a few other members here, with RR and RRS, have had "big rattles" due to the microphones picking up, and amplifying, what would normally be a small rattle or vibration sound. It took over a month to diagnose on my ATB. So if you have an ATB and/or the premium sound system with CA make sure that the CA system gets looked at too.
Alright....so it's true!!! My 11year old swore that when I was talking during road trip, my voice was coming through speakers.....thanks so much for this tip.. Helps a lot. These cars are true high tech marvels!!!

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Alright....so it's true!!! My 11year old swore that when I was talking during road trip, my voice was coming through speakers.....thanks so much for this tip.. Helps a lot. These cars are true high tech marvels!!!
fester, you can also go into the menu for CA and select: 0ff, low sensitivity or high sensitivity.
I have mine set to off, because although they fixed my major rattle, once in a while I heard a small version of it ... was fed up with the whole thing, so hit the Off button! Now I'm relaxed, except for these other creaking sounds!!

I'm sure we could debate your "high tech marvel" statement as far as the infotainment system is concerned!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
festertester would have loved my 2014 RRS... :naughty:
fester, you can also go into the menu for CA and select: 0ff, low sensitivity or high sensitivity.
I have mine set to off, because although they fixed my major rattle, once in a while I heard a small version of it ... was fed up with the whole thing, so hit the Off button! Now I'm relaxed, except for these other creaking sounds!!

I'm sure we could debate your "high tech marvel" statement as far as the infotainment system is concerned!
Oh no!!! Remember I'm newbie to RR...... I'm not getting great vibes...:?

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
You can read several threads about my rattle issues from this past year and Vaser's "lemon" RRS issues, but neither of us wanted to dump our cars. We just wanted them to work right. They fixed my rattle (mostly) and overall I love the RR. Vaser "traded" out to a new RRS ATB and is also very happy with his. The good thing with a 2016, is that if you do have an issue, by now it is probably a known issue and it can be diagnosed and fixed quickly.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can read several threads about my rattle issues from this past year and Vaser's "lemon" RRS issues, but neither of us wanted to dump our cars. We just wanted them to work right. They fixed my rattle (mostly) and overall I love the RR. Vaser "traded" out to a new RRS ATB and is also very happy with his. The good thing with a 2016, is that if you do have an issue, by now it is probably a known issue and it can be diagnosed and fixed quickly.
Fingers crossed. It's been very solid so far, happy with it! I went ahead and searched thru threads by you and Vaser - now I know what you're talking about.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
...my three weeks old MY16 noise is identical to a Geiger Counter, ....It seems to come from behind the dash, sometimes from the ceiling. For now I've been able to associate it to an outside climate temperature between 12 and 18°Celsius, but this keeps open a variety of combinations of climate fans, radiators, windows etc.
I would pay big money to be able to reproduce it when nee[dealer]d...
FOUND THE CULPRIT! The Geiger Counter type noise is originated by the PanoRoof metallic wiring that, under particular temperature conditions, are vibrating against the leather lined material causing the noise. No matter how the roof/tent are positioned (opened, closed, halfway). Now the dealer had the wiring "greased up" and the phenomenon is slightly reduced but still present. My concern is that he told me that the final solution on a same problem with a Discovery has been the 2 millimeters lowering of the whole ceiling panel.
What do you guys think? Would you go with the modification?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think it's an option for us to choose for aftermarket modification or is it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts