RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently contemplating buying a CPO 2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (w/ ~36,000 miles). The car comes with Michelin Latitude Sport tires, which I believe are summer tires (the salesman I've worked with confirmed they do not have the "A/S" all-season designation on them). I live in Chicago and often drive to semi-rural Wisconsin, so it is likely I'll be driving in snowy/icy conditions, a concern I've relayed to my salesman. He argues that these tires will be fine on snow/ice, which seems unlikely to me. Does anyone here have experience with these tires?

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
:shock: He is full of horse pucky. The big hint is the word "Sport" in their name.

I've driven in Chicago in the snow. I wanted to take my Aunt's old Classic to the office and when we went out. She insisted I drive my uncles Ford Bronco... with all seasons. Dang thing have enough tread bite to keep all four tyres on the ground.

You do not want mall crawler tyres when on any back road with two and three inches of compact snow and ice. If you are out on 90 or even 41 they are usually bare and wet. Terrain Response programs can compensate for alot, but they can not do miracles on ice with highway slicks.

If I were in your shoes I would accept and start hunting for a pair of take off wheels to put full winter tyres on. Not all season, soft aggressive winter tyres. In your area you will appreciate them four months or so. the rest of the year you can enjoy the nice Sport tyres and wheels it came with.

EDIT: The winter set will last you many years since only used a few months a year. This also extends the tyres on it now and gives you time to figure out if you hate the Sport tyres or like them. Still gives you a couple years to decide.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
298 Posts
I have to agree. Get a set of winters. I actually got a set of 20’s in snow for MY2016 V8 Dynamic.
255/55R20
Got Toyo observe Gsi5

Really great tire and it was an absolute beast in the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
65 Posts
He's an idiot. The issue with Summer vs Winter tires has more to do with soft vs. hard rubber compound than it does with tread patterns - Summer tires have a harder tread compound that works well in warm/hot weather - this compound gets even harder in cold temps making it dangerous in hard braking. Winter tires have a softer compound which stays compliant in cold weather and grips dry pavement better.

i just put 20" take wheels on my SCV8 with Nokian Hakka R2 SUVs - amazing traction in snow/ice and cold pavement and doesn't seem to compromise handling much either. I will put the 22" wheels back on in the Summer with the OEM Continentals on until they wear out and then find a real 'sport' Tire.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm currently contemplating buying a CPO 2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (w/ ~36,000 miles). The car comes with Michelin Latitude Sport tires, which I believe are summer tires (the salesman I've worked with confirmed they do not have the "A/S" all-season designation on them). I live in Chicago and often drive to semi-rural Wisconsin, so it is likely I'll be driving in snowy/icy conditions, a concern I've relayed to my salesman. He argues that these tires will be fine on snow/ice, which seems unlikely to me. Does anyone here have experience with these tires?
I live in Chicago and have gone thru many winters here in numerous RR& RRS and have had the Latitude Sport tires. Get a set of winters. The car itself is heavy enough and has all the technical aspects to help, but soon as you reach freezing the tires are like frozen hockey pucks and when you hit snow you will slip, slide and spin unless you drive like an old lady. Never been close to getting stuck or or not been able to make it through any streets because the car is great, but without the winter tires you have to drive arond pretty cautiously. It is not fun hitting the breaks before a stop sign and trying to manuver a 5000+ pound car while it is gliding. I have 21's and swap tires only for 3-4 months in winter and it is a big difference. A fraction noisier on highway at most if you really pay close attention.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also agree to get a set of winter tires. I spent the last two weeks deep in the Adirondack mountains and our camp is 7 miles in from the main road on a windy, hilly, snow compacted road (that has more snowmobile traffic than car/truck traffic). I get through it all with no problem (although -32F, along with massive amounts of ice build up in the wheel wells, does funny things to the terrain response system). Without winter tires you are not (IMO) taking anywhere near full advantage of what the vehicle offers.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
298 Posts
He's an idiot. The issue with Summer vs Winter tires has more to do with soft vs. hard rubber compound than it does with tread patterns - Summer tires have a harder tread compound that works well in warm/hot weather - this compound gets even harder in cold temps making it dangerous in hard braking. Winter tires have a softer compound which stays compliant in cold weather and grips dry pavement better.

i just put 20" take wheels on my SCV8 with Nokian Hakka R2 SUVs - amazing traction in snow/ice and cold pavement and doesn't seem to compromise handling much either. I will put the 22" wheels back on in the Summer with the OEM Continentals on until they wear out and then find a real 'sport' Tire.
Hi Robb, (sorry to thread jack OP) I notice the speed rating on the Nokia R2’s is R(170 km/h) Lower than I was expecting. Granted, I’m not doing anything too crazy in the winter, have you or anyone that uses the Nokian’s had an issue with performance from these tires?
Looking at My current setup and it’s an H (210 km/h)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
65 Posts
Hi - most of my winter driving is done on a twisty two lane, high volume, mostly poorly lit interstate (I-70) that goes over a 10,000 pass so the chances of me exceeding 170kmh are slim to none. The speed limit is 60-65mph which means I'm driving 75-80 in dry conditions and 50ish in snowy/icey conditions traffic permitting. I've now done about 300 miles on these tires in some pretty extreme winter conditions and they are at least every bit as good as the Blizzaks in snow/ice and better on dry pavement. My wife's 2012 RRS has a new set of Blizzaks and drove both this past weekend so I've got a pretty good frame of reference.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm running Hakka R2 SUV in 265/50/20, have had zero performance issues. Was cruising home tonight from the cottage at 130km/h for an hour solid in -20*C temps. They're by far the best winter tires I've ever run. I would buy them again in a heartbeat, and recommend them to anyone who wants the best when it comes to a pure studless winter tire.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have the same exact tires. They are not really all seasons but are summer tires marked M/S - Mud and Snow. Right Mud and Snow. Got same BS from dealer. Oh you don't need anything they are good to go. Not the case at all in DC area. I am fine most of the time. If it freezes and ices or snows, car wilol go through everything. It just doesn't want to turn or stop at all. :naughty: Yeah its bad. You have to be super careful and maintain a lot of distance between you and other cars and slow down a lot to turn. I spent 2012 and 2013 in Chicago. I wouldn't be comfortable driving them there. I'd definitely get winter tires and if you really dont want to sdwap tires atleast get real All Seasons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I run the Latitude Sport Tires in the summer, great wet and dry traction, however, I take them off for the winter and I put on a set of Blizzaks. I live in NY and Travel up and down between Boston and DC. Believe me, there is no comparison in extreme cold with the two tires. Do your self a favor and grab a set of cheap takeoffs from Craigslist or ebay and run a dedicated set of winter tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts