RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my set of Synchrone's are off to an early demise. The belts seperated on one of them ( right rear) causing a big lump in the tread, in-turn causing a very bumpy ride. I called Michelin to check any warranty that may apply. The tires are from four to over five years old, but have maybe half the tread left on them. I expected that Michelin may partially warrant the replacement of the failed tire.
I spoke with Matt, a very nice Michelin representative who said that because the RR is a 4x4, and because the Synchrone is no longer available, and depending on what the local Michelin sales representative (Sears in my case) found after inspecting the set of tires, a pro-rated price for a whole set might be offered. Matt gave me a reference number to give to the inspector so they could process the available warranty claim.
I went to Sears, who inspected the set and recorded tread depths, tire date codes and conditions including some evidence of cracking (dry rot) on the side walls. He relayed the info to Michelin while checking availability of replacement tires, the Michelin Lattitude HP Touring. None available, they're on back order. But being as my local Sears Auto center is pretty helpful, they worked with the Michelin rep to locate a set in Texas, and work to get them shipped to Orlando. Of course they left me the option for any other tire, but because of my satisfaction with Michelin in general, and what I've read about this tire, that's what I want.

The Sears rep contacted me within a day to let me know that Michelin would pro-rate not just the failed tire or two tires, but a new complete set of tires - 50% of the failed tire AND 30% of each of the other 3 tires. The Sears rep had to research to find the price of Synchrones, since the pro-rate applies to the price of the original tire model, NOT the replacement tire model. In the end, it came to $100 off of 3 tires and $150 off of the failed tire. I know the math doesn't work out perfect, but I'm really satisfied with the offer and service.

I think Michelin went above and beyond, and certainly exceeded my expectations in supporting their product.
I hope the Lattitudes perform as well as the Synchrones have, except of course the separated belt...

·
Registered
121 Posts
wow, that's great news! You'll love the new Latitude tires. I had Synchrones as well and I replaced them at 48,000 miles with the new Latitude tires. Less tire noise makes for a fine ride in the Rover. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mis-stated the pro-rated amount - $100 for each of the 3, and $140 for the failed one for a total of $440.

Thanks for the feedback on the Latitudes, the more I hear, the better I feel.
I also hope they work as well in moderate off-road performance. The RR does like to get muddy & wet from time to time.

I wanted to get the rims re-finished before fitting th enew tires, but all I could find is a place that'll re-paint them with the tires on for too much money. I'd want them powder coated or maybe chromed.
Oh well. I'll just clean them up a bit first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts