RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
103 Posts
Hi all; back again with another query.

I have bought a Valentine 1 radar detector, and even though I do use the cruise control in my P38, it could be handy to have the V1 in the P38.

Using the mirror mount method will not work as the attachment to the front window is very weak (I've had the mirror fall off several times). Mounting on the dash is also not a good idea because it's too low a viewpoint for the V1 to pick up radar coming from behind.
The suction-cup method attaching to the windscreen is also temporary at best, in my opinion.

My thought now is to make a thin metal beam between the inwards ends of the sun-shade mountings, where they fasten to the roof area
Do any of you have experience in this that you might share?
Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
72 Posts
Hi,
That's a pretty high end detector! I used a Valentine 1 in my P38. I used the twin sucker mount and picked up the electrics from the roof. Looked fine, hardly saw it. No problems, other than the heated screen probably does reduce the signal a tiny bit.

Homemade brackets involving bits of bent metal do generally end up looking like bits of bent metal. The sucker mounts at least lift away without leaving anything behind. If in doubt, keep it simple.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would suggest fixing your mirror. Obviously there is an issue if it is falling off.
Thanks for that. I can't see a fix; in my opinion the design is flawed in that mirror falling off is inevitable.
I can't imagine what was in their collective mind when the mount was designed as mine is.
It's been stable for a while now and I don't want to tempt fate by adding ANY extra load.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
Again, something needs repair then. I have a camera mounted in one of my P38s and a detector in the other with no issues. The mirrors on every P38 I have messed with have been rock steady and a royal pain to remove. And there have been a lot of them over the year thanks to having them leak all over dashes and customers need replacements.

I'll agree with argos that the suction mount is clean and makes for very little of the detectors to be seen while driving.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I would suggest fixing your mirror. Obviously there is an issue if it is falling off.
Aloha Brian,
I had a mirror that would not stay on, as whichever type of super duper glue I used would not stay put.
Once both surfaces are less than perfect, most CA type adhesives have some problems bonding.
Next time it falls off, use JB Weld, or it's equivalent "Liquid Steel" epoxy and make a prop stick to hold it in place as it will need to set for at least 6 hours to stay by itself.
Do not clamp the mirror back on for the full 24 hour cure time.
Problem permanently solved

·
Registered
523 Posts
Or just buy the correct product for the job, eg:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/391217705334

I'd have thought that spending about 12NZD to fix the mirror and give you a stable platform for the detector is money well spent.

The design isn't flawed, and the mirror falling off isn't inevitable. The rest of us don't have that problem.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Oh, Sorry......
In the case of my mirror, The PO had knocked the mirror off and re glued it using CA ( Cyanoacrylate) glue....AKA "Superglue"
It failed as the surface was contaminated by previous attempts.
I cleaned, sanded with crocus cloth on a piece of glass to assure a perfect smooth surface, used the aforementioned product...and it failed.
JB weld worked, and I can hang anything I want from the mirror with total confidence! (I hang naught)
In a perfect world, CA works a treat. Certainly worth a try. Use a thickened product and get the accelerator hardener so you will not need to hold it perfectly still for like 5-10 min.
Oh, and the mating surfaces need to be CLEAN and SMOOTH....

I will agree that the design is indeed sound and with luck and proper prep, CA will work. I just gave up "trying" and fixed it...Permanantly

BTW, Brian, Quite a switch from "The wife says I outta get rid of it" to "Got a Radar detector for it" :dance:
Good on ya!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Or just buy the correct product for the job, eg:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/391217705334

I'd have thought that spending about 12NZD to fix the mirror and give you a stable platform for the detector is money well spent.

The design isn't flawed, and the mirror falling off isn't inevitable. The rest of us don't have that problem.
This is the best product around for this job. I've used it myself to mount a "camera screen rear view mirror" on 2 vehicles.
The reason many glues fail is due to thermal expansion/contraction rates of the glues used being different to the glass. this causes mega levels of stress, so the glue often weakens. Very rarely, the glass cracks instead!

I've glued stuff to glass for years and had my share of failures, until someone clever explained the glue needs to flex with the glass and be the right thickness for it's composition.

The product you spotted includes a special mesh, which holds the activator AND ensures the glue layer thickness is correct.

When I needed to remove one after a stone broke my windscreen, I needed a hammer & chisel to get it off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts