RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just wanted to share my experience as far utilizing a metal transmission pan from Atlantic British. I have decided to replace all fluids troughout the power train (less engine oil as that goes on it's own schedule). While transfer case and differentials are fairly simple, transmission pan replacement usually requires an engine to be unbolted from mounts, raised few inches up and fan shroud to be removed(with fan+clitch or without, I don't remember), all just t make room/clearance for oil channel that goes several inches up from the filter which is part of OEM plastic oil pan. We got away with removing 1 cross bar and transmission mount, raised back of the transmission just a little bit. While removing old pan we had to use long needle pliers to, sort of, crush that oil tube to be able to drive the old pan out. After that everything was straight forward , separate oil filter went it, pan over it, screws in the front of the pan are worth mentioning as they are totally inaccessible to the level "what the hell were these engineers thinking".... I think it would be safe to assume that heat dissipation properties of a metal pan itself are far better than plastic one and in the future I can only replace filter & gasket but not sure how much of the savings it will present though...
The part cost $135 plus shipping.
The workmanship and quality of the part seemed excellent.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
622 Posts
Changing the pan do a metal one is a great idea but one thing I have never understood is why not make the metal pan so that the filter can be changed without having to remove the pan. For sure changing the filter does not need to be done all that often but it would be easier if it could just be changed through a hatch in the pan rather than having to remove the pan each time.

Garry

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
... but it would be easier if it could just be changed through a hatch in the pan rather than having to remove the pan each time.

Garry
Yes and so would allowing more access to the front sway bar bush bolt and removing the 100lb weights from the rear frame and not having to remove the fan mount to replace the serpentine belt and ...
It would be really nice if JLR would have a team who participated in forums like this one to enhance the serviceability and diagnosis of their products.
Even so I can't help but love my Rover!

'06 RRS LUX
'06 pilot EXL
'91 4runner

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
Why would you not change the filter with any fluid service? An extra few minutes for a full and proper service really is not that difficult.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nooooo guys, transmission has received a new filter for sure.. Unlike OEM pan, where filter is built in to it, this set up has filter as separate element.. Sorry if I was not clear and caused a confusion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Let me see if I understand. It takes about the same amount of effort to install the metal pan the first time, but subsequent trans oil and filter changes are easier?

Is there a different filter when using the metal pan? Are the front screws harder or the same to replace with the metal pan?

Thanks.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The process is the same with both pans to do a basic oil change - drain and fill.

For the filter - both pans have to also be dropped (hence my post above not understanding why they did not design the metal sump so the filter could not be changed without dropping the sump). The difference with the metal sump is that it can be reused where the plastic sump has the filter inbuilt and basically has to be cut out and cannot be reused.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, correct, for a future oil changes, I'd have to take the pan off, but... There is no need to unbolt the engine mounts, remove fan shroud and raise the engine to give clearance for for oil channel (the tall plastic tube that goes up from OEM style Filter/Pan). This pan come out (yes still same pain in the butt to remove front screws) with tail of transmission being pushed just a little up and filter can be exchanged easily - simple in and out, well, out and in.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
So what you are trying to tell us garry is that the service procedures and tranny are identical on your diesel as they are on the OPs petrol. In addition you want a pan within a pan for a procedure that that most folks take on only once during ownership? Seems to me to be a bit ridiculous to over engineer a basic pan design that has been perfectly functional for every automatic for over 60 years.

·
Registered
622 Posts
No I appreciate that changing the pan on theV6 diesels is easier than on the petrols due to the need to move more stuff on the petrols.

I appreciate that LR says the oil and filter only need to be changed one every 150,000miles or 10 years so your point about only needing to change the filter one in an owners life is valid - but ZF the makers of the box say the oil should be changed about every 50,000miles or less and the filter changed. I would rather believe ZF over LR and most owners experiences would seem to support ZF.

My point is simply that when ZF designed the pan it would have been easy and not much more expensive to design it so the filter can be changed without removing the entire sump.

As the oil can be drained and refilled with the metal sump without it being removed - a lot of people will skimp on also doing the filter at the same time as the oil change if they have to remove the sump - particularly on the petrol cars.

My point is just an observation on how parts designers often do seem to see the big picture.

Cheers

Garry

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just ordered the same filter/pan from a supplier in the UK. I asked the guys at Atlantic British for a quote for the kit, and have not heard back from them. Where did you end up getting the tranny fluid from? I was about to order some direct from Ravenol. Did it take 6 quarts for the job?

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I believe it took 6 quarts but I had 8-9 just in case.. I ordered Original ZF fluid from FCP Euro dot com end extra few bottles I asked my LR mechanic friend to buy from dealer but I am 99.9% sure they're the same just more mone for LR label on the bottle.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
If changing to the metal pan, is there a need to even a need to remove the cross bar, and other ancillary "stuff" since you can just break or cut off the old oil filter and replace with the newer one that is replaceable on the new metal pan?

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We needed to remove cross-member that holding tail of the trannsmission and jack-up the tail of it as high as it could go. It is a very limited room down there so mechanic needed to make some to wiggle things in and out, well, out and in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts