Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea what this flap does?

I stuck in a bottle of chevron fuel systems cleaner and the grove at the tip of the bottle got caught up on the flap.

2010 RRS 5.0 non SC

My BMW has a flap but it seals the filler neck completely.

For some reason the photo got rotated during upload. The flap is at the 12oclock position.

· Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,199 Posts
That is the mis-fuelling flap designed to prevent putting the wrong fuel in the vehicle. It popped because you put the fuel additive in and the flap read the end of the container as a wrong fuel bowser nozzle.

You should have a tool to reset it in your vehicle somewhere - sometimes in the top glove box and sometimes in the tool area in the rear.

See this LR4 vid on the topic - is the same a a RRS.

Garry

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t think that is what it is, it does not prevent me from putting fuel as I already filled up. If I press it, it seems to be springy and possibly activating a switch.

This is a gas vehicle not diesel. The diesel nozzle wouldn’t even fit it’s too large. I know diesels have the flap to prevent the smaller gas nozzle from going in there.

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Its not a diesel thing - also fitted to gas vehicles. Elsewhere in the world diesel nozzles will fit in the gas vehicle filler - when you say diesel nozzles are too large, you are probably thinking of hi flow truck nozzles which are larger again.

When you find out what the issue actually is please let us know.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the US diesel nozzles won’t fit into a gas vehicle filler neck. Since about 1990.

My inquire is the purpose and function of this metal flap on my US spec gas vehicle. If you look at the video you posted the flap and design of the filler neck on that diesel has no similarities to my vehicle.
Thanks

· Registered
1 Posts
In the US diesel nozzles won’t fit into a gas vehicle filler neck. Since about 1990.

My inquire is the purpose and function of this metal flap on my US spec gas vehicle. If you look at the video you posted the flap and design of the filler neck on that diesel has no similarities to my vehicle.
Thanks
The purpose of the flap is to keep gasoline fumes from escaping into the atmosphere during fueling - Anti-pollution.
Nothing to do with gas vs diesel pump nozzles. That is controlled by diameter of the hole.
It doesn't connect to a switch or anything. It's just a spring loaded flap.

· Registered
147 Posts
So, mine is doing the same thing. It happened sometime in the the last two fillings. Here’s the problem, I know get 30 miles less per tank. That’s about 2 gallons of fuel that’s escaping into the atmosphere between fills. What’s the repair for this? A new filler neck?

· Registered
2009 Range Rover Sport 4.2 SC V8
1,082 Posts

· Registered
2011 L320 RRS 3.0 TDV6 HSE Luxury with Dynamic Pack - Fuji White on Ebony with Ivory contrast
1,160 Posts
You know, that could be your car trying to say, “Keep that snake oil away from me.” Not saying that’s the case, but one never knows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts