RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a oil pressure warning light stop engine. I’m getting p0012 and p0345 codes and multiple misfires on 5-8. Truck did overheat. I changed oil and filter. I was having a coolant issue with antifreeze pressure overflowing back out the resovoir or top radiator hose when disconnected. I replaced thermostat. Temp gauge started fluctuating that’s when the warnings begin. Upon reading some forums I look at the new filter and noticed metal flakes on the filter and in the houses. Does this sound like a bad oil pump or timing issue? I have 2005 FSRR.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just read a thread down the forum on this page. Member had exact same problem. I pulled the valve cover and the nut on the Vanos is loose and the washer was loose. Also found a broken piece of guide laying to the side. It seems I’ll be taking a look at the pistons with a camera to see if they are still in shape. I hope so! But looks like a timing chain guide job at the moment. Will see?

·
Registered
399 Posts
What's the current mileage?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Definitely a timing chain guides issue that may have also may have taken/shaved some of the aluminum off as well, which ultimately got into the oil sump/pickup. More than likely will have to flush oil system and check the cylinders walls for scoring (i’d check that first)

·
Registered
385 Posts
BMW parts were fairly prices and the quality is very good.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The only way that a piece of the guide could get in the cylinder would be to be picked up in the sump and be small enough to pass through the screen and somehow make it past one of the valves.

That would have have to be a small piece of plastic which I don’t think could score your cylinders - am I off base in my logic?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks. I have to get the truck in the garage so it’s parked flat so I can drop the pan and take a look. I really don’t want to do the work on incline.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you are going to replace the timing chain guides, you don’t need to drop the pan, which I believe is not trivial. I may be wrong, but I believe a cross member is in way.

Get the RAVE manual, the procedure is in there. I did it on my 2004 recently.

You can clean the pan with the lower timing covers removed.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I assume you have the 4.4 BMW engine? Been in a similar spot. Don't order a single part until you drop the lower oil pan. It is an easy process. A bunch of 10mm bolts and I believe a 13mm oil return line from the cyclone separator.

You need to look up at the cylinder walls for gouging. Dropping the pan is the least intrusive way to do this and in my experience of two toasted engines I could see and feel the gouging from below.

You may be lucky and the engine survived. On one of mine the plastic pieces from the failed timing guides restricted the oil pickup and caused oil starvation. This is how I bought it. On the second one, my wife cylinder washed the pistons as the car would not start. Both cases had metal sparkle in the oil. Both cases destroyed the block.

Assuming all is well report back and I can give some added suggestions on how to clean out the sparkle.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update . I pulled the oil pan and took a look inside. I had pieces of timing chain guide clogged in oil pick up screen. I didn’t notice any damage to pistons but it was hard to see. Also I did have the milkshake at the bottom of pan. I changed oil once. But when I drained the oil it was mostly the new stuff. As of now I’m tring to decide if I should pull the heads to check for a blown gasket since I already begin the chain guide repair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts