RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So full disclosure; Had a few misfire codes pop up on OBDII scan tool a few weeks back. Research showed that is was misfire faults. Initially I felt that it was a coolant leak from valley (lower intake) gasket. Did the repair, disassembling the engine and replaced both upper and lower intake gaskets and finishing the repair properly after a few days. Started the Range happy to hear that the misfires were gone. Unfortunately that was short lived seeing as a mile down the road it started again and I did have the overheat light come on. Parked it immediately at my house after only three miles and 1/4 mile with light on. Now while draining coolant today to do a head gasket job I find aluminum shavings in the coolant 1/16"th x 1/4" x 1/4". For the sake of looking stupid I believe it may be a water pump faliure but don't want to push any valid ideas away. So what do you think? Anybody seen this before? Thank You for your help...again.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
You drove 3.25 miles with the overheat light on?

Are you a woman?

one last question...Did you like replacing your head gasket so much that you wanted to give rebuilding your whole engine a try?

Okay...ribbing aside now.

The overheat could have been caused by the same thing that causes 9/10 people's after they do a cooling system repair...it needed to be burped.
As for the shavings...no idea man. Possibly the water pump, but I'm not sure if it's aluminum or not. It could be your radiator starting to corrode away possibly.

Either way...good luck with the rebuild.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, reading the post correctly you would see it was a three mile trip with 1/4 of a mile with the light on and no signs of trouble till the last little bit. No, I'm also not a woman but I don't see how that would matter either. This is the first time I received a "ribbing" after asking a serious question so next time how about you just don't bother responding...thanks. If anybody else would like to give any helpful advice, I will thank you in advance. Happy Rovering

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope just like it when people comment helpfully rather than comment on how stupid other members are. Thanks for getting my gender correct this time..kinda.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would take the water pump off. It's got steel fins that rotate close to the engin block, on mine the bering was shot and the fins were hiting the block so got small bits of aluminum in the water plus a slow leak too.

SID.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Sid. I was under the impression that the fins on the water pump were aluminum and with the steel block it would be the fins on the pump that would most likely be the culprit for the shavings.

·
Registered
128 Posts
otoppero said:
Thanks Sid. I was under the impression that the fins on the water pump were aluminum and with the steel block it would be the fins on the pump that would most likely be the culprit for the shavings.
Just checked my old pump and the fins are steel, rusty too. The pump housing is made of aloy in the form of a cast and I can see where the fins have cut in to it.

SID.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The picture I saw on this site must have been from a new pump...they sure looked like cast/machined aluminum. Huh, well the mystery shavings continue to elude me then. She has been running fine since the second flush. They must have jammed the thermostat and caused the overheating? Thanks for the updated info though. Happy Rovering.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The block is aluminum and the impeller steel. Thus ,as said, the shavings from the block or pump housings. I would strongly suggest you release belt tension and check for play in pump shaft. As Kmag said bleeding complete should do it but shavings are another story. Let us know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts