RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, stupid me decided to try to pry the dead fly out from under the lens cover of the instrument cluster (was working on something else and the cluster had been removed anyway). Found a small gap at the bottom of the cluster lens cover, so figured that's where the fly came from to begin with. So, stuck a small screwdriver between the lens and out comes this 7-year old dead fly. Woohoo!

As with all of our beloved Rangies, one problem fixed, 3 more pop up. In my case, now my information centre is dead. No data whatsoever. All LED warning lights are fine. OOBD scanner detects no faults.

Took car apart (again) thinking that maybe I hadn't secured the plugs at the back. Nope, they checked out all right. Hmm... Ok, so now I'm off to investigate the instrument cluster itself (yes, I'm either brave or stupid). Unscrew the 4 torx screws, no problem. Twist the locking pins, no problem. Lens case comes off no problem. What do I find? Turns out I nicked the LCD ribbon that connects the PCB board to the LCD display strip/glass.

Its minute to be fair, but that's the only thing that I can think of that's causing this issue. My problem (amongst many others) is that I have a 2008 MY RR. All forums/discussions and ebay postings for LCD ribbons and repairs seem to refer to the (older) BWM 2002-2005 display style. I do not have this style, I have the uglier (Ford) style message centre.

I'm out of ideas as to what to look for, or how to fix this. Anyone?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
77 Posts
I had this on my older 2004 RR , I happened to remove the fuses for Intrument cluster and returned them , so everything works again.You could try that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but sadly this was one of the first things I did. The good news if you have an 2002-2006 model, is that these repair parts are readily available. The LCD display + ribbon for the 2007-2009 models on the other hand, I can't even seem to find!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
337 Posts
Did you check continuity with a DMM on the nicked conductor?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
245 Posts
You're chasing an electronics cause, and you're probably 99% correct. But on the 1% chance it's a software issue, if you haven't already done so, perhaps try the basic 1+ hour battery disconnect and system reset to see if you get lucky, only because it's such an effortless possible fix.

A separate matter, disconnecting the battery less than 2 minutes after removing the key can apparently cause issues with the dash display and fuel gauge. (Waiting over 2 minutes is factory procedure.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts