Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to configure my new FFRR... and I came across multimedia (love good sound!).
The question is:
- is it worth to order an upgrade to 1700W Meridian + 29 speakers (vs. 700W system)

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
All depends on whom you ask and if they are an audio snob. Someone like me that listens to satellite or AM oldies it would be a complete waste. Someone who wants to hear every string of good classical music it would be a must. I would suggest you test drive each and make your own decision instead of going off a forum posting.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,241 Posts
If you love good sound then it will be worth the money. I was debating between the 825W and 1700W on the Sport and was able to listen to the 1700W 29 speaker system on a used L405 ATB on the lot. Absolutely incredible. I'll admit the 825W is not far off though.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Well had both. Not an audio snob but even I can admit 1700 watt one sound Atleast 1.5 times better. You won't tell a difference if you like your music low at maybe 15 on the dial, but crank it up to 30 or higher and difference is as big as the wattage wold suggest. Where the 825watt feels like too much at 35, in the 1700 watt you are just getting started. It doesn't sound distorted or too much until you are at 50. I noticed I would be driving around with it at 45 and you feel like you are inside the speakers. The music going through your body. With the 825 watt, 45 is just obnoxious loud not better music than say 30. I do miss the 1700watt system now. I wouldn't pay for it with my own money though, because I traded the car only 10 months later and got nothing for my $6300 upgrade. If I was sure id keep the new rig for more than 5yrs at the outset then I would have gotten it again, because it really is just much better. If you never heard it before, you won't know any better and infact the 825 watt one is more than satisfactory.

Hope that helps you decide if you want to go do a side by side comparison.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm not sure if 1700w 29 speaker system can be added as optional on L405 full size RR? I thought it's only available in ATB in USA..unless you're upgrading from SC to ATB you can't get it...am I wrong?

And I think RRS ATB system is 27 speakers...there's it's optional in ATB but L405 29 speaker 1700w is standard in ATB...perhaps that's changed??

Net: in USA if you want 29 speaker 1700W meridian system on L405, you need to get ATB trim..

As for the op, looks like he's in Cayenne French Guniea ...probably it's optional there ...

·
Banned
531 Posts
the source of media is the main issue. a high-end system with compressed audio or sdrs will not yield the results you are looking for on a system like that. if you listen to lossless data and cd audio you will hear every possible sound that was meant to be heard in a crisp clear fashion. the distribution and delay is done very well along with the placement of speakers despite having to be worked around the vehicle as opposed to the vehicle around the system as in other vehicles.

my father was a professional recording engineer before he retired (regrettably), we always had some sort of audio equipment in the home that my father enjoyed listening to. when i first started dabbling with cars he would laugh at me and tell me i am wasting money putting in a bass box or new radio like most father's and new drivers do and his explanation would fall on deaf ears. as i grew up he explained what i was doing was just distorting the output etc. fast forward to the past decade and when i purchased my first B&O system for one of our vehicles my father said "$6300 for a car radio~!? are you an idiot?" then when he heard it he said "i dont know if it is worth that much but it is on the same level as some home audio systems". according to him the RR merdian system and the volvo b&w audio systems are the best out right now. they blow away the b&o and burmester.

so long story short, unless you plan on converting all your mp3 to lossless and listen to cd audio you probably would not notice a difference between 825 and 1700w except in the volume department but if you are really into music and configure the system properly you will notice every note you paid for. whenever a premium audio system is offered i purchase it. to me the audio system offers more value than a performance option. i use the radio 100% of the time i am in the car i do not use 510hp 100% of the time.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just did a test the other week between the Meridian 825W and the 1700W Signature. First, the biggest technical difference that I learned on this forum is that the Signature system has Kevlar speaker cones vs paper in the 825w. This is a massive difference and produces a much different speaker that can handle much more power and produce far better sound. After cranking both systems I can tell you the biggest difference is really in the power of the bass. The kevlar cones in the signature system seem to really handle big sound very well. The bass is hard to describe other than to say its BIG. It doesn't distort and really just rocks through your body. The 825W system seemed powerful to me until I cranked the 1700W system. Then I learned what powerful was. I tested direct connect to Spotify 320kb highest quality audio and it was good, but the real capabilities weren't shown until I popped a CD in. I can tell you, big time difference between the two. CD sounds SOOOO much better. I played the new Adele album. She isn't my favorite but I do like her music and have to say it's actually the perfect demo cd. There is piano, guitar, vocals and BIG BIG bass and overall big sound that really push a system to its limits. Unfortunately I tested the 1700W on a car that was parked in the showroom so I didn't quite crank it as much as I would have liked, as it was all the salespeople were giving me weird looks. Anyhow, I think its worth it. When you're spending $100k, I honestly think worrying about another $6k isn't really worth it, might as well go all out.

·
Banned
93 Posts
I'm an Audio Snob who collects high-end headphones. The difference between 850 and 1700W is like watching 1080p HD TV vs. 4K UHD OLED with HDR!

I say go with the 1700W.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts