RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi the P38 I modified a few years ago is due for a make over and my plan is to remove the V8 and lpg due to the total lack of lpg around here and swap for a diesel along with a lift by using portal axles.

The engine I want to use is a Mercedes OM606, I have seen only one P38 that's on YouTube from guys in Finland that has the engine but can't get any other details even after contacting the company who made the standalone ecu for the engine, does anybody know more about this P38 or of other conversions using the OM606?

I have searched the web but cant find any P38 using Unimog or Volvo portal axles, seen quite a few Land Rovers but no P38 so can anybody offer advice or pointers.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
222 Posts
As far as I understand it, the OM606 can be made to run fully mechanically.
There's a bloke on Retro Rides called sowen that played around with the OM606 and 605, look for his work on there.

·
Registered
230 Posts
How is your Google-fu? Running a search on :- mercedes om606 land rover throws up a lot of results which may be of some help but a quick scan suggests much of it concerns hooning around mods for dedicated off-roaders. Often with the mechanical fuel pump and some form of manual gearbox conversion. Not quite the thing for a roadgoing P38.

I'm sure you've considered this but the obvious major problem in getting an OM606 installation to work properly will be making the engine talk sensibly to the auto box to get well behaved gearchanges and generally nice running. Colossal amount of work with all the modern extras, dropping the motor in is the easy bit, so it needs to be nice when you've finished.

I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that the only way to get a half decent conversion with a modern engine is to drop the whole auto gearbox and engine assembly in as a complete package along with the associated ECU's. Probably need to pull from a vehicle of similar weight too. Installing a separate transfer box looks more sortable than engine / gearbox ECU & BECM issues as its simple (?) engineering to make space, align and do adapters. Fooling the BECM that there is an engine and gearbox attached will take electronics but that ought to be pretty straightforward, when its done its done. Trying to get a Mecedes engine ECU to talk properly to the ZF gearbox and BECM all the time has the potential to be an endless project.

Clive

·
Registered
222 Posts
The P38 is available in manual transmission, and I am told (yet to be proven when I download the software for my Nanocom and play) that if you go into the BECU with a Hawkeye or Nanocom, you can select the option of Manual transmission.
If so, then it opens the option of the R380/LT230 combo, or anything your heart desires.
I am weighing the option of going diesel/manual for my P38 if the engine croaks, so this is a slowly bubbling idea in the back of my mind.
There is a bloke that fitted a GM V8 into his P38...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/71412-Range-Rover-P38-diesel-conversion so it is a doable thing. It just depends how much you want to keep originality or how brave you are to modify.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info guys, engine wise I have seen quite a lot of people using the OM606 with the mechanical pump, I know of a company who do a stand alone ecu for the engine and another company does a stand alone ecu for use with the Mercedes auto box and from YouTube someone has used the OM606 in a P38 but apart from details on the standalone ecu I don't know much else! I have a full donor car so using the Mercedes auto box was an option.

My P38 has a body lift, coils, 50mm wheel spacers, custom tube bumpers with a winch, rock sliders and the engine is a fully rebuilt unit with a top hat lined block, full stainless exhaust system including cats..the engine swap was just because of the low mpg and lack of near lpg stations that makes running her every day a tad expensive!

I will give it some thought but may be better selling the P38 as she stands and take a hit on what time and money has already been spent and look at a newer model already on diesel but after all that went into my P38 selling her would be a hard pill to swallow!

Thanks again for all your thoughts and suggestions here is a link to my current toys and the building of my P38 to the point she is now for anybody interested.

http://alex-robinson.vidmeup.com/

Alex

·
Registered
222 Posts
Do you have a link for the stand alone ECUs?
I am curious about that and how it ties in with the standard fitted BECU of the P38.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I told my kids what you are planning, they all went to bed crying tonight.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
The P38 ecm's are easily tricked. I run a built LSx and 4L60E in my P38, no issues. HVAC, EAS, etc all work.

Martin

·
Registered
222 Posts
The P38 ecm's are easily tricked. I run a built LSx and 4L60E in my P38, no issues. HVAC, EAS, etc all work.

Martin
I had the thought of simply using the OEM sensors and fitting a toothed wheel for RPM pick-up to fool the ECU that it's still original fit.
Is that what you have done?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I did at first, but it was only 95% reliable.
I used a tach adapt to get it to be 100% reliable.

Martin

·
Registered
669 Posts
Cummins is getting ready to offer a crate motor specifically for engine swaps. There is a lot of chat about it on Defender Source right now. It is a 2.8 liter with about 270 lb/ft of torque. It is 50 state EPA compliant and comes with an ECU. It makes me regret putting the International HS2.8 in my Discovery and not waiting.
I understand it will also be compatible with computerized transmissions but will most likely need adapters to match up.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Cummins is getting ready to offer a crate motor specifically for engine swaps. There is a lot of chat about it on Defender Source right now. It is a 2.8 liter with about 270 lb/ft of torque. It is 50 state EPA compliant and comes with an ECU. It makes me regret putting the International HS2.8 in my Discovery and not waiting.
I understand it will also be compatible with computerized transmissions but will most likely need adapters to match up.
Am I missing something Luis?
The standard 4.6 V8 (petrol) was 280 lb/ft @ 2600 rpm
What would the point of the swap be, apart from as an engineering exercise?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Better MPG I guess?
Although installing one (Cummins) anywhere but the USA would introduce it's own issues IMHO.

Martin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts