RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally fixed my steering column lock problem by placing a bit of gasket maker on top of the magnet in the solenoid... The dead solenoid was then revived. Don't ask me why, as I have absolutely no idea. The other friend here in this forum bought another magnet and spent 32 cents. I think that bit of gasket maker cost even less. Next time when you're looking at a $1700 steering column, at least consider trying our remedies.

And then I brought my vehicle to two local mechanics to discuss the air suspension restoration project. These two gentlemen are the only mechanics in our area with Land Rover diagnosis device... One of them owns a shop where you see Porsche everyday and Rolls Royce at least once other week.

When I brought up that I'd like my air suspension back... They frowned, sighed, shook heads... They were like "why on earth do you want the notorious air suspension back!" Following that they showed me other vehicles with bad air suspensions... "Look at that Range Rover I just replaced its front left and now he needs a front right I'm gonna tell him to get what you got on your rig..."

I've been watching the new struts by Delphi and other makers, and the re-man struts, for months. I'm not sure if I'm lured by the advertisement and overestimating these so called "improved" struts' reliability, or our local mechanics haven't refreshed their minds and are underestimating their reliability.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could share with me his or her story about their new struts. Are they anyhow more reliable? How long have they lasted so far?

This is really important to me, as this is not anywhere close to a small investment, and probably won't be an one-time investment either, so I must be really careful.

Thank you!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Well, our 2003 still has EAS, without fault.
And I would guess it's common sense that you would replace BOTH front struts at the same time, BOTH rear bags at the same time, etc.
The "mechanics" want to upcharge the castration kit, then charge a fortune tune to install it. Make sense why they want to do it that way.
My advise, get the kit to reset the faults yourself and spend a VERY leisurely day swapping it all over

Martin

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
It's only "notorious" to morons that don't treat it as the wear item that it is. The struts are easily treated as wear items by "mechanics" so why not the rubber attached to them?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Just noticed you are in Illinois. I am in Mid Mo. and have all the kit to do it the right way.

Martin

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
With low cash flow I have tried to be preemptive with replacing wear parts but not the air springs. In Canada we can get the Arnott spare front bag only for 100 less than Arnotts depot in Canada from wrench monkey-at least so far-not sure what will happen if our $ stays in the can. But I did have to wait a week to get it. I have the spare compressor seal. So we have been quite fortunate. I have only seen Kmagnus"s conversion due to an apparent near catastrophic failure of his whole system due to major corrosion in most parts. I had been under the wrong assumption that the front springs had been replaced but the failed one was original-I now have one that was replaced after year one and the one I just did. Shock portion seemed fine though not sure what the ratio is-seems around 50% up and 50% down. I can only say that as I replace each suspension part the car seems to act a little newer without feeling unstable

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
I bought my current supercharged with a coil conversion. They had removed the compressor, cut all the air lines, and pulled the fuses.

I replaced it all and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I can't imagine why you would NOT want the air suspension. It settles for mom to get in,and raises to higher ground clearance than any jeep....but without the bone jarring ride a jeep has. I have airs on both my 10 year old Jagand 11 year old RR. I have only had one go out in 21 years of driving both cars.

Also,any shock should be replaced in pairs. Replacing just one is poor maintenance.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't understand the hate on the air suspension, the most common issue is the front struts leaking , and once you put 2 new ones on you're good for another 100,000 + miles, it's not like it fails every other month. I got a chance to drive a 03 model with coils on it many years back , and it completely RUINED the car. I can't imagine why the hell people would even think about coils.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, our 2003 still has EAS, without fault.
And I would guess it's common sense that you would replace BOTH front struts at the same time, BOTH rear bags at the same time, etc.
The "mechanics" want to upcharge the castration kit, then charge a fortune tune to install it. Make sense why they want to do it that way.
My advise, get the kit to reset the faults yourself and spend a VERY leisurely day swapping it all over

Martin
Thanks for the reply Martin!

They probably wanted to charge me more for the parts, not sure if it'd be another story if I told them I'd bring my own parts.

In fact the only reason I visited the mechanics is to have them check the remains of the EAS on my truck and find out what's good and what's bad, as they have Textbook. If I'm going to put air suspension back on, I'll do it myself in my friend's garage. I've checked the strut tower bolts, and they're still free of rust. I've checked the hoses, intact.

But I've no idea if the compressor is good, or the valves or the ECAS ECU. I know I need a pair of front struts and a pair of rear bags, but feel reluctant to invest in a $400 compressor and find out the one inside still works.

If the mechanics don't like air suspension, I don't think I'll bring my truck back to them for the inspection, even if they have Textbook. Then what shall I do, expert? Is there a way to check the remaining parts on my own, without the Textbook?

BTW, what's the "kit" you mentioned to reset the faults?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's only "notorious" to morons that don't treat it as the wear item that it is. The struts are easily treated as wear items by "mechanics" so why not the rubber attached to them?
Thanks, boss. That makes a whole lot of sense.

Well, are they really that wearable? If they last 50k miles, they don't seem to be wearable to me, at least compared to many other components.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With low cash flow I have tried to be preemptive with replacing wear parts but not the air springs. In Canada we can get the Arnott spare front bag only for 100 less than Arnotts depot in Canada from wrench monkey-at least so far-not sure what will happen if our $ stays in the can. But I did have to wait a week to get it. I have the spare compressor seal. So we have been quite fortunate. I have only seen Kmagnus"s conversion due to an apparent near catastrophic failure of his whole system due to major corrosion in most parts. I had been under the wrong assumption that the front springs had been replaced but the failed one was original-I now have one that was replaced after year one and the one I just did. Shock portion seemed fine though not sure what the ratio is-seems around 50% up and 50% down. I can only say that as I replace each suspension part the car seems to act a little newer without feeling unstable
Thanks for the input! So how long have your struts lasted?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought my current supercharged with a coil conversion. They had removed the compressor, cut all the air lines, and pulled the fuses.

I replaced it all and couldn't be happier.
Can't really understand why destroying the air lines. That's absurd. Could I ask how long have your struts lasted?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't imagine why you would NOT want the air suspension. It settles for mom to get in,and raises to higher ground clearance than any jeep....but without the bone jarring ride a jeep has. I have airs on both my 10 year old Jagand 11 year old RR. I have only had one go out in 21 years of driving both cars.

Also,any shock should be replaced in pairs. Replacing just one is poor maintenance.
I guess the only reason is cost, more specifically the worry of the accruing long term cost. I guess cost could be the reason why that RR owner chose to replace only one strut at a time.

Is weather in TX friendlier to air suspensions? Or is your driving style friendlier? :wink:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't understand the hate on the air suspension, the most common issue is the front struts leaking , and once you put 2 new ones on you're good for another 100,000 + miles, it's not like it fails every other month. I got a chance to drive a 03 model with coils on it many years back , and it completely RUINED the car. I can't imagine why the hell people would even think about coils.
It's truly encouraging to hear someone saying they'll last another 100k miles! Well, is that an average?:confused:

·
Registered
687 Posts
It's truly encouraging to hear someone saying they'll last another 100k miles! Well, is that an average?:confused:

well obviously there are factors to consider, offroad use/ junk roads and so forth, but they seem to fail at around the 100K mark, plus or minus 10/20k. The rear bags seem to last forever, don't see too many people complaining about them, not suprising since the front takes the most abuse.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
Can't really understand why destroying the air lines. That's absurd. Could I ask how long have your struts lasted?
My 03 the originals failed at 130k. My 06, something happened prompting them to switch to coils before 90.

I guess cutting the lines was faster when removing the struts. Huge PITA to run all new lines.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an '03 at 86k , live where I work so don't drive much, anyway as far as I can tell I still have the originals in there.
As I'm approaching the 100k mark I will be doing them sometime in the next year, just have to replace the o2 sensors at the moment as the code came up for that, will tackle at the end of the month.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Cost was once a big factor. It no longer is, however.

·
Registered
16 Posts
why anyone would think coils are better I don't know.this eas is such a simple system and most problems coming from airbags leaking due to age and compressor piston ring wearing out due to having to run loads to compensate for leak.have just replaced fronts on my 03 vogue and £200 a side using original spec struts and have the rebuild kit for compressor which was £25.job done for another 100,000+miles

1 - 20 of 28 Posts