RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new toy for my birthday from the wife & kids – a Faultmate MSV-2 for my 2003 4.4 L322.

I’ve just taken it out for its inaugural run, sampling data from the transmission controller (obviously the most interesting ECU out of the 24 on the vehicle :D ) every second over a drive lasting around 30 minutes. I was interested to measure what the engine coolant temperature and transmission fluid temperature did. The graph below shows the result :

A few observations :

Both engine & transmission temperatures started out at around 40 deg. C (rather than ambient, which was 13 deg. C) since I’d used the car a few hours earlier

The engine took 12 minutes to level off at it nominal operating temperature of 117 deg.C

The transmission fluid temperature rose at a slower rate than the engine (not particularly surprising) and appeared to level off at around 102 deg. C during a 60+mph cruise which lasted around 5 minutes. However when the vehicle then slowed down the fluid temperature continued to rise (oil-to-water cooler + less airflow)

The vehicle speed trace can be seen in green

The vehicle was driven relatively gently throughout the 30 minute drive

Goodness, I'm going to be able to bore you all to death with the amount of data that comes off this thing `) . Torque converter lock up clutch characteristics next I think.......

Phil

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
You're not the only one that finds this sort of thing incredibly interesting! Can you add more sensors? It would be good to have an ambient air temperature on there too. Then one could do comparisons on cold days v hot days etc.

I wonder how much of the heat in the trans actually comes from the engine coolant? Obviously it will be a two way transference. In theory an overheating engine could cause an overheat in the box and vice-versa.

Dan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Noo that is intresting reet enough.
That re-inforces, along with the above comment regarding the engine overheat affecting the box oil, that its time to invest in an independant cooling system for the box.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Although, saying that it depends on what the box operating temperature is meant to be, if it is 140 degrees then that's fine and adding a seperate cooler wouldnt give you much of a benefit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ive been reading on here that,

Engine overheats then gearbox failures some months laters,
Gearbox oil 'burnt' thuis over heating occurs,
A few of the gearbox failures seem to be doon to non cooling via the rad as it clogs and the cooling water dosnt get to the bottom where the oil cooling pipes are.

By fitting an independant oil cooler to the system it rules oot the 'connection' problems between the 2 set ups and reduces the risk of cross breeding of hic-cups.

Engine can over heat....... no probs to gearbox
Raditor can run oot of water.....No probs to gearbox

All saving ££££££'s

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts