RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great forum you guys have here!

I've been a lurker for a little while and recently (last week) bought a 99 P38 SE from a board member here. Now, I'm not so naive to believe there won't be any problems, in fact I'm diving in head first! Picked it up last week and immediately brought it to the body shop for a driver's side freshening up - front fender had a couple of dings, scratches down the entire side. Had the grill and under headlight trim painted and had new front and rear RANGE ROVER letters installed - looks FANTASTIC!

Picked it up today and was driving home (haven't hit 40 miles yet) and the SES light comes on, so I'm picking up an OBD II tool at Autozone tomorrow to diagnose. Just read up on the antenna and weak station issues/fixes, the book icon issues/fixes and a couple of other posts here as well - so I can fill up my weekend diagnosing problems.

I am prepared for the unexpected - we are a 3 primary vehicle/2 driver family so should something come up we have something else to drive...but this will primarily be my wife's daily driver - and she loves it.

Hopefully I can contribute in the future as I learn more about the vehicle, I've wanted one for years, finally have it!

In case you are wondering - Bruce Springsteen fan, so that's the source of the user name, and also a classic Pontiac fan (have 6 68-72 GTO's currently).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, pics soon, too busy troubleshooting.

Picked up an Actron CP9180 Auto Scanner, checked the codes, then reset them.

P0171 System to lean Bank 1
P0174 System to lean Bank 2
P0734 Gear 4 Ratio incorrect
P1669 Fan

Zeroed out the codes so I could run it through emissions and get it registered....FAILED. No data present, needed to run through a drive cycle. Ran 40 miles SES light back on with P0174 code and P0171 pending. New Bosch MAF has been ordered from Auto Parts Warehouse, $174.95 with free shipping. Didn't bother trying to clean it, from the search I ran, they all run together and point to a faulty MAF.

Next on the list is the rattle from the rear that goes away when the brakes are applied (loose calliper) and squeaking brakes (most likely worn pads). Will pull the wheels this weekend and inspect.

This place is a great resource. Beginning to suspect the "Comprehensive Service" this vehicle received before sale wasn't so comprehensive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have that same annoying rattle from the rear brakes when i run over bumps, then silenced when i hit the brakes. Just haven't made the effort to look into it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome !

Oh, I see we share the dreaded 1669 code: ebox fan failure.

Do a search in the forum for that one. I'm about to replace mine with the help from Scotty. I tried cleaning the connections with circuit cleaner but it still pops up from time to time. In this hot Caribbean climate, I cannot aford to run with a dodgy eboax fan.

N.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm hopeful that here in New England, I won't have to worry about it.....but then again.....it's a Rover. ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome.

If your rear brakes are anything like mine were when I first got this truck, you'll find at least one if not all of the caliper sliders are boogered up and/or frozen, hence causing a squeak and sometimes a rattle. Both would disappear when brakes applied. New brake hardware when I did a full brake replacement all the way around cured the problems.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brought the wife down to NYC this afternoon with 3 of her friends for a bachelorette getaway weekend and oddly the SES light was out. Stopped to unload their bags, said goodbye and jumped back in and on startup - SES ON!

Got home and what was sitting on the wall next to the front steps - MY MAF! Wow that was quick!

Ran the scanner and got the same 4 codes again. Zeroed them out, changed the MAF, and took it for a ride - WOW!!! No more tired lazy truck! Not having experienced one of these before I had no preconceived notions of what the power would be, but with the new MAF it's definitely stronger. Tomorrow I'll put some miles on and run the scanner again - hopefully this is it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the pictures and text from the add.

1999 Range Rover 4.0 SE

128,xxx miles, absolutely beautiful condition with thousands spent on recent service( last 30 day's) and upgrades so you don't have to.

I am a Rover enthusiast and professional technician so everything was done to perfection. This beauty runs and drives like new and needs nothing but a new home.

Email for more pictures or with questions if you are interested. I am located about 90 miles north NYC and about 90 miles south of Albany NY.

* 4 New 2nd Gen Arnot Airbags and a fully functioning air suspension system.
* Brand new brakes front and rear with vented rotors in the front.
* 4 brand new Michelin Tires.
* Comprehensive major service completed with all fluids and filters changed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
beautifull truck,,,,,,and the antenna goes to.......? :think:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some old cel phone I guess - it's off now. Still need to pull the rear side panels and do the antenna mod for improved radio reception.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Mine had the same antenna and cell phone cradle for an old Motorola startac phone. Ahhh the 90's.

·
Registered
701 Posts
beautifull truck,,,,,,and the antenna goes to.......? :think:
Its so Land Rover can send signals to your truck via satellite, and tell the vehicle it has a fault and needs to go to the dealership 8) .

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2000_RR said:
I have that same annoying rattle from the rear brakes when i run over bumps, then silenced when i hit the brakes. Just haven't made the effort to look into it.

Pulled the rear wheels to check the brakes this afternoon - ended up taking the caliper off too. The pads needed to have the leading edge chamfered to eliminate the squeaking and the spring clips that hold them in place were not set properly. Once back together with the spring clips set correctly, no rattle, no squeaks!

:D

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Got to love those "professional technicians" huh? :naughty:
Glad you are working it all out though!
I would investigate under the seats for a loose connector for the SES light. If not that, I am sure Scotty has some sensors etc knocking around for you to try. :thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Martin, but the SES light was the MAF - nice, quick, easy fix - but wouldn't have known the solution if I didn't have the resource and collective experience of this board!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts