RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a bigger diameter tire on my RR. Currently running 255/55/18. Don't necessarily want to go wide, so 55s is okay. Can I go to 255/75/18 without any rubbing of any body parts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glad you asked. There is a P38 tire size page out there.

Edit: here is a cached copy. Cached P38 Tire Size page

I also have a 99 with 18s. Important, my P38 has coil springs so it is always at high ride height. From my P38, you look down into the cabin of full size 2500 pickup trucks. I mounted 265/60R18. They work without rubbing with stock mud flaps. However, when i loaded the cargo with heavy garden supplies, I got some rubbing on the rear fender liners due to the load. This means the bump stops are not quite tall enough for my tires. Instead, it will rip my fenders out if I drive like that too often. There is no rubbing in front from turning.

75 is probably way too tall a sidewall for you, particularly if you have EAS.

Here is my setup, looks a bit beefier than stock. I went with Falken Wildpeak AT3/W. They are ok. Needed to minimize the cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information! I recently swapped the eas to coil springs. I like to get as much height as possible. Id probably go with 70s. I am guessing the width is what initiates the rubbing on the front? If I sticker with 255s, I think I will be okay. I am assuming 70s are bigger in diameter than the 55s I have on currently.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The rubbing my car experienced was on the rears when it was heavy loaded (due to some combination of tire width and height). The bump stops were designed to keep 255/55 tires clear of the fenders. And I have 60 series with a high suspension. I guess you could run into problems adding another 1cm to the sidewall height, choosing 70 series. 255/65 might work as well as mine, if you are lucky. I would encourage you to go 255/65, max, but it's your money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks
The rubbing my car experienced was on the rears when it was heavy loaded (due to some combination of tire width and height). The bump stops were designed to keep 255/55 tires clear of the fenders. And I have 60 series with a high suspension. I guess you could run into problems adding another 1cm to the sidewall height, choosing 70 series. 255/65 might work as well as mine, if you are lucky. I would encourage you to go 255/65, max, but it's your money.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
93 Posts
I also have 265/60R18 All Terrains, I have no rubbing issues. I still have EAS but I did remove the mudflaps prior to installing them.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
119 Posts
I have 255/70R/18 on 2" coil lift. There is a little rubbing when taking sharp turns. I like the right height and the rubbing does not matter to me since this is my weekend car and I just drive it occasionally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 255/70R/18 on 2" coil lift. There is a little rubbing when taking sharp turns. I like the right height and the rubbing does not matter to me since this is my weekend car and I just drive it occasionally.
hmm...I just have coil springs with no lift. I probably should go with just 60's max...Need to figure out how much the difference in diameter is between 60 and 70s..

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
hmm...I just have coil springs with no lift. I probably should go with just 60's max...Need to figure out how much the difference in diameter is between 60 and 70s..
255(mm) x (70-60) x 2 = 50mm difference in diameter. ;-)

Reactions: Vochak
1 - 12 of 12 Posts