Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after spending some time on the P38 doing a proper brake fluid flush to try and eliminate and brake issue, i took her for a test drive and parked her, locked it with the key (remote is missing its guts) and went inside, few hours later went to take her out to get some food, and strange things happened.I unlocked it and noticed only the d/s/f unlocked, as soon as i turned the ign key to on the lights came on, key off, lights go off, turn the light switch and no different, even the high beam doesnt work, the blinkers work on the dash and outside, but there is no clicking sound to indicate that they are working (no pun)Tried the wipers and they dont park as usual, just stop when i return the stalk to off, taillights and brake lights work as per usual, there is no cruise control light when i press the light, still drives fine.So, im about to go to bed and look at the problem tomorrow, however I thought id ask here as well.RAVE CD turned up today in the mail, so that should help i hope, and also, my engine compartment fuse panel needs replacing, burnt around RL7.I did get water around the brake resovoir as i washed that area down incase i may have spilled any brake fluid, only used a water bottle though.Any ideas on where to start looking?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
These are all symptoms of BECM failure - (on the main RR.net site) though before fearing the worst - if you know that your engine bay fuse box is looking hot and crispy, then I would start with replacing that. Maybe one of the power connections to the BECM (Inside the engine bay fusebox) is damaged and is cause power issues to the BECM - and giving the weird symptoms you are having...

I had issues on my first P38 with power to the BECM (someone prior to me owning the vehicle had replaced the fusebox and pinched one of the power wires to BECM between the fusebox and chassis causing random shorting) and by the time I'd tracked it down, it had damaged the BECM to the point where it needed replacing.

So, I would get on replacing the fusebox ASAP and then see what symptoms remain (if any)

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I had a look at the beast this morning, turned the ign key on, wipers parked themselves, lights turned on then off, and its back to normal.Gotta love gremlins that surface only occasionally.So i just put a decent order in through island-4x4 which included a new fuse panel amongst other things.I'll still have a look at any electrical connections i can get my hands on in the engine bay, inspect and contact clean them, ill clean all the earths too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
New fuse box will definitely help. I was having some issues with my 98 including the RL7 relay so I changed the fuse box and all systems are now working perfectly. When I took the old fuse box apart, I wondered how anything electrical worked on the truck. Hopefully you will have the same luck with yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts