Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
85 Posts
Been driving this Alpine White 95 RRC County SWB for about 5 weeks now, with zero mechanical problems and very little annoyances that needed fixing. I loved it the second i got it and put all other cars in the garage since then. I am sad she's gone.

Early evening i took it about 3/4 of a mile away to run a quick errand and turned around and came right home. about 2 blocks from my house, i thought i smelled burning plastic and knew that could only be one thing. checked under the steering and sure enough, a little fire was creeping up electrical wire and i had nothing! no mini extinguisher, nothing. called fire dept, 2 small explosions and 6 minutes later, it was completely burned to a crisp. LAFD did their work in about another 5 minutes and the show was over.

needless to say, i desperately want another one.

Happy Sunday All!

IMG_0727.jpg IMG_0739.jpg IMG_0764.jpg IMG_0766.jpg IMG_0769.jpg IMG_0773.jpg IMG_0774.jpg

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
220 Posts
You are in the best location to find a good one, so it will come to you soon.
Any idea what caused the fire? My other car, a 928, are famous for bad fuel lines and going up in smoke. Hadn't seen this in an RRC yet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
not totally sure how but was for sure electrical. the only thing i can think of was that the shop i took it to to work out a few things, (which is awesome and i really like) sprayed a bunch of lube at the boot where the steering goes through the floor. it was making a ton of noise. other than that, just bad timing i guess.

You are in the best location to find a good one, so it will come to you soon.
Any idea what caused the fire? My other car, a 928, are famous for bad fuel lines and going up in smoke. Hadn't seen this in an RRC yet.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
Why do firemen insist on using a Hooli bar to open a door when there's a perfectly good handle designed to do the job? If the fire started under the dash it is most likely that it was electrical but it does beg the question of why didn't the fuses that are there to stop this from happening do their job? If you get the opportunity to keep it, at least you'll have plenty of spares.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,990 Posts
Before my first Range Rover ownership, I saw a L322 burned to a crisp at the side of the road. A year later I bought my first RRS and totally forgot about the burned L322 until today.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i believe they used it because when electrical burnt through, it auto locked all the doors. it was heart breaking. you should have seen them digging in the grille with it trying to get the hood open.

my only thought is that it must have been the ignition as it's the only one not fused? will never know

Why do firemen insist on using a Hooli bar to open a door when there's a perfectly good handle designed to do the job? If the fire started under the dash it is most likely that it was electrical but it does beg the question of why didn't the fuses that are there to stop this from happening do their job? If you get the opportunity to keep it, at least you'll have plenty of spares.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So sorry to see this. Good luck in finding a replacement, all the best ones are in your area!

A valuable lesson to us all to fit an extinguisher to out RRC's.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry for your loss, glad to hear that you weren't harmed!

Who knows what could've caused it. Maybe the shops fault, but very well could've been a previous owner. When I first bought my 94' I soon discovered that a previous owner or mechanic decided to use hot glue instead of solder to connect wires under the dash and had cut other wires but just stuffed them away with exposed live wires. Some people just don't think. Had my heat worked at the time I might've been in a similar situation. Looks like there's a decent amount of undamaged parts (excluding all of the interior but the speaker cover on the passengers side). Not sure the how badly the engine was toasted but it might still be good if you were to drop it into a rangie in need of a heart. If you can stand looking at it and have the space it might very well be worth keeping

1 - 9 of 9 Posts