RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home and noticed my temp gauge all the way in the red and the warning light on. I had only been driving a few miles and had recently checked it, so I don't think there was too much internal damage. I had been noticing a slow leak from the back of the engine onto the ground, but hadn't gotten around to pinpointing it yet. Well today, it pinpointed itself for me.

In the picture below, I have highlighted where it was coming from. It was spurting from below the spark plug wires onto the firewall. Is there a coolant line back there or is it coming out of something else? It wasn't mixed oil and coolant, just pure green coolant, and it was still spurting out even after the engine was turned off. I had it towed to a local shop, but I am impatient and want to know before they tell me.

Also, is just 30-60 seconds of high temps enough to cause major damage to the engine?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
494 Posts
i was thoroughly traumatized by a similar occurrence (if you search coolant spraying it'll come up) when a heater hose popped off from a loose clamp on the highway. i am happy to report after resecuring the hose, there was no permanent damage, gasket leaks, white smoke, or crud in the oil cap. hevac works perfectly too. you may have dodged a bullet if you immediately pulled over. i did have to top off later after the air worked itself out though. good luck.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
I can't think of any hoses back under the spark wires. I suppose the throttle plate could be spewing. Only other thing that spring to mind right off would be the intake/valley gasket at the heads or head gasket failure to the outside world.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
320 Posts
Isn't the intake manifold a heated affair (that can leak)? Just guessing here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It turns out that there was gasket seperation between in the intake and the head, just like rrtoadhall thought! That is all they have been able to find so far, but they can't pressure test it until they get that fixed to see if that is the only place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts