RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna regret asking this, I'm sure, but why do mass dampers on the final drive units have a wire going from one side to the other?

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Are you referring to the retaining wire that will keep in place if the rubber bushing on the inside rots away?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That'll be the one...is that really why? I guess...

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
That's the only reason I have ever been given. Then again after 14 years of being under P38s I have never seen hint of one of those things coming loose on a P38. Now we had one Sport owner that swore one of his was clunking over speed bumps and on really bad roads. It wasn't it was shot bushings on his suspension bits.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
491 Posts
I’ve always wondered what the wires are for. One of the wires has come away on one side of the rear damper but not the other side - does this mean I am at significant risk, what actually happens if the rubber bushings go AWOL?

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Well it means you are not inspecting the underside of your car very well on a regular basis. WHen you do an oil change and grease your UJoint you are right there to make sure they are stable. The rubber bushing are quite hefty. The rubber bit and the added weight is a harmonic balancer to eliminate vibrations. Then again many folks have just removed them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts