RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think there is a market for an entry level, low spec, basic or poverty pack Range Rover?

I refer here to the full fat mark IV/405 model Rangie. While I realize LR have gone down the luxury limousine track and sell a **** fine motor vehicle with everything that open and shuts, all the lights and bells AND the whistles for a market that obviously exists, but I cant help but wonder if there is equally a market for a lower spec vehicle along the lines as the original idea of: “climb every mountain, fjord every stream, follow every rainbow, till…. you… find…your…..d r e a m”(Sorry, lost it there for a second) type RR.

A model that does not have seats trimmed from only male, high altitude bovine or timber trims from an entire deciduous rainforest and woolen carpet no doubt from only the cutest of lambs. I can do without lane drift warnings, shaking steering wheels, soft closing doors, parking aids, reversing cameras etc, etc and definitely an entertainment system than can drown out my daughter’s stereo.

I wonder what Spen King would think of the direction of the RR from his original concept?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not starting a flame war – if you can afford one, then good luck to you!, one day I hope to afford another brand new Rangie one day too, but let’s admit it, a new one here in AU is essentially a solo division 1 Tattslotto win no less. I nearly fell of my chair when I saw the price of a 15’ LWB RR. My goodness, it’s the price of a large new house. Waaaaaay out of my range.

LR has priced themselves out of the range of the general public motoring market.

I can hear the chorus already, “buy a defender!” or a “D4”. But I need a vehicle that I can cruise from Melbourne to Sydney and not need a back brace or a kidney belt. I need a vehicle that is not claustrophobic inside that can accommodate my ample frame. I need a vehicle that can bounce across a paddock with a tandem trailer loaded with hay bales that are stacked as high as I can reach. I need a vehicle that can park in Southbank in Melbourne and not look like “Ma and Pa Kettle” have night the big smoke. I need a vehicle that I can rock hop and can play in the mud while “responsible off road motoring” or “where does that track go?” In short - I need a RR.

I loved my classics, the P38 is my favorite and the L322 was nice but that stupid knobby thing for the radio and the other settings was a pain, the white/cream leather was equally a pain with kids and pets. (My Beagle much prefers fabric seats, but as long as he has the window open a crack, a vent blowing air on his face and he can see where he is going he’s happy in anything) The D2 was too small inside and too shorter wheelbase, A Sport is a D4 in a posh frock, a loaner D4 got stuck on essentially a cow patt and a while a mates Defender is very practical and utilitarian it’s a machine built for a single purpose. Again – I need a RR.

I dream of a 16’ RR with fabric easy care seats, a plain radio with perhaps a CD player, electric windows, EAS, ABS, HDC, TC…….you know what – about the spec of a HSE P38a! – With the addition of the modern TDV8 motor!
Basic – yes, devaluing the marques – no. The first flamin’ RR that shuts off automatically at the traffic lights will be the last in my stable.:shock:

What does the future hold for me? I can’t imagine ever purchasing a RR with all these gadgets that, I know for sure - I just won’t use. I foresee in 20 years time, auto electricians specializing in disabling systems on 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]-3[SUP]rd[/SUP] hand RR’s that are too expensive to repair – just to keep the vehicles on the road and sale-able. I chose to buy European and not Japanese vehicles (please don’t read anything into that either) because of their quality, parts and service.

Long live the Classic!

Let the abuse begin……:p

·
Banned
901 Posts
I think if the economy improves we may see another offroad version of the RR like the g4. Though imo since TATA took over they have limited the availability of such things as factory winch option and Brushbars. I guess we are lucky that the FFRR still has a low range as standard (or has that changed?)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I for one agree with you, totally.
We are talking about a new wheeling rig right now.
Selling our Heep XJ on 35's, 4.11's with selectable lockers, 4:1 low range, and so on.
We have a low mile '04 DII on the driveway, and a gutted (No engine or interior) '02 P38 on coils.
If we could get a P38 in pauper spec, it would be an ideal foundation. Manual HVAC and seats, and so on.
I know the MkIII's could be had with lower spec's than the current rigs, but I think the end was in sight by the time BMW's ownership came about.
Too many ponce's bought them, paid whatever LR's stupid figure was to get in the door, and so on. I dont blame JLR for catering to those folks, but the working man could also shell out some coin for the stripped down version too.

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Listening to Gerry McGovern in the last few years: that boat has probably sailed. They keep pushing the proper Range Rover ever-higher - and with the Bentley out now, I think many in Solihull realized that they can go much, much higher.
Silver lining: the D5 might be what you're looking for although that, apparently, is also being pushed upmarket

And FWIW all of them have this eco stop/start nonsense, but that's politics, don't hate car manufacturers for it.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,457 Posts
Listening to Gerry McGovern in the last few years: that boat has probably sailed. They keep pushing the proper Range Rover ever-higher - and with the Bentley out now, I think many in Solihull realized that they can go much, much higher.
Silver lining: the D5 might be what you're looking for although that, apparently, is also being pushed upmarket

And FWIW all of them have this eco stop/start nonsense, but that's politics, don't hate car manufacturers for it.
I don't really blame JLR for trying to make a buck and I think it's appropriate for them to keep raising the bar for the RR. That would be true to the original RRC heritage.

However, in killing the Defender, they've alienated an extremely loyal base. Having heard GM say that the new Defender won't be like the concepts (DC100), gives us some hope the new Defender might be viable for the working man. But then again, I've also read that they want to broaden the appeal of the Defender, i.e., Chelsea tractor crowd, so who really knows.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
I for one would love to see the "S" trim level here in the states. Cloth seats, diesel engine, basics without all the add on fluff. Sadly the days of having low spec Range Rovers is long gone for the NAS market.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Manual HVAC etc would make motor swaps a lot easier too;)

Martin

·
Banned
51 Posts
The Disco is the down market Range Rover already. I know what you might have against the Defender, based on your post, but what have you got against the Disco?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
The Disco is the down market Range Rover already. I know what you might have against the Defender, based on your post, but what have you got against the Disco?
We own both, and there is a BIG difference

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Ahh ok, They are called LR3 and LR4 here. We have the last year of a real Discovery (04), that had an actual frame and solid axles.

Martin

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
A recent build Disco/LR4 - properly equipped (you gotta be careful these days, as in its effort to keep prices competitive Land Rover has recently made optional certain features that used to be standard on a Disco, such as a low range) should tick most/all your requirements. It lacks the cachet, gadgetry and luxurious fit and finish of the latest Range Rovers but it is every bit as capable off road, makes a great long distance cruiser on pavement, offers a quiet, classy but not over-the-top interior, tons of people and cargo room, and unlike the recent batch of Range Rovers it has its own very unique and purposeful style that cannot be mistaken for anything else on the road. Not surprisingly, it also enjoys the most support in the aftermarket for off-roading parts and accessories. Too bad it is being retired as well this year, its replacement (the new Discovery, Disco 5 or whatever they will call it when they launch it later this year) is probably going to look like an overgrown Range Rover / Disco Sport hybrid, and will likely be much more expensive than the outgoing model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts