RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Planning on build for 2014 HSE, but stuck between my like for the blue flecks in the Mariana black metallic vs. the crisp Fuji white. Would love to hear your thoughts, I also plan to do aftermarket matte black 22" rims and possibly black grill and lettering.... Not a fan of the silver striping and plan to match it to the body color.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
918 Posts
I might be bias but I never buy vehicles in white.

There has been a few exceptions though.

International box truck cab and 3 sprinter vans.

I did consider a Hummer in white but it was a convertible and when buying those trucks used you take what you can get. :)

Having said that I like your desription of the black color but I have not see it in person or on paper but it sounds like a winner.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
201 Posts
White! White! White!
Did I say White?
With all the darker colors you loose so much of the styling, and specifically with black: the floating roof

I think with black paint PLUS your black trim/wheel changes ....it risks becoming a dark "blob" with no defining features.

·
Registered
382 Posts
White! White! White!
Did I say White?
With all the darker colors you loose so much of the styling, and specifically with black: the floating roof

I think with black paint PLUS your black trim/wheel changes ....it risks becoming a dark "blob" with no defining features.
As a black man myself (my choice in car color) I actually can't disagree with this assessment. However consider this;

Black (or any dark color) hides all the body panel lines/seams. I love the RR in white but closely study the profile & rear in person - it's really "busy" when you see all the body panels coming together. Start at the roof and work your way down, you'll be surprised at all the "breaks". Black (IMO) hides this. Addiitonally the gap between the lower gate and rear bumper really stands out and appears big on the white - the dark color turns it virtually invisible.

Also, as someone who bats for the home team I can attest that it's a 15% probbability that any single dude you see in an RR is Gay - however that goes up to an 85% probability if it's WHITE! ;-) Just sayin'....

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
130 Posts
jonnyrob,

If I were making a choice between Mariana Black and Fuji White, i would go with Mariana. The white is going to be one of the most common colors for this vehicle; you would need to do a lot more to it than a couple of after-market adds (e.g. letter coloring, 22 inch wheels and blackened grille) to make it like no other (if that is what you are going for). With that said I am also a little bias as I have been a fan of the Mariana Black since I saw it on paper.

I do agree with CA-Sport that the darker colors do make the vehicle easier to focus on and does mask a lot of the distracting lines; however, some people love busy designs.
-S/N: Not sure what the gay guy and the white rover probability have to do with your paint color decision, a person certainly won't magically become a gay male just by buying white. Sorry CA-Sport couldn't follow. Tsk tsk tsk!

I can def understand where Sam818 is coming from when he says you may lose the floating roofline (which has always been a plus for many people-so they say); however, lets keep in mind the exterior side/corner pillars are now gloss black and up close (only where it would really matter) there is a clear floating roof (as gloss black and mariana black vary much). Anyway with other roof options, if you wanted you could always opt for a roof of a different color (indus, corris-ijs), creating a clear floating roof if that's your thing. Also, if you black out the entire vehicle it will not be a black blob by any means. I've seen several 2014 Sports in santorini black, blacked out and they looked super mean yet still upscale (my opinion).

Wheels- I've never been a fan of matte black on "luxury vehicles" but for some vehicles and colors it works perfectly (as with the santorini blacked out vehicles i've seen), for others it's def a fail... but you know they say the greater the risk the greater the potential outcome or reward! I had matte black wheels on a Kona Blue mustang back in 2010 and it looked very nice. Plus great thing about wheels is you could probably get the shop to put them on your vehicle before you purchase (if you have a good relationship with them). You like them- buy, you don't get- something different.

Good Luck with your decision man, keep us posted.

Sir Rover

·
Registered
25 Posts
In my opinion, there are only a handful of cars that look good in white, and the RR is one of them. In fact, I can't think of a car that looks better in white than the RR.

Fuji should hide dust, dings and scratches/swirls better than Mariana, but nothing looks better than a clean car in black.

I seriously considered ordering my RR in Fuji, but finally settled on Santorini. FWIW, I haven't seen Mariana in person.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As a black man myself (my choice in car color) I actually can't disagree with this assessment. However consider this;

Black (or any dark color) hides all the body panel lines/seams. I love the RR in white but closely study the profile & rear in person - it's really "busy" when you see all the body panels coming together. Start at the roof and work your way down, you'll be surprised at all the "breaks". Black (IMO) hides this. Addiitonally the gap between the lower gate and rear bumper really stands out and appears big on the white - the dark color turns it virtually invisible.

Also, as someone who bats for the home team I can attest that it's a 15% probbability that any single dude you see in an RR is Gay - however that goes up to an 85% probability if it's WHITE! ;-) Just sayin'....
you are hilarious, bro. lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
jonnyrob,

-S/N: Not sure what the gay guy and the white rover probability have to do with your paint color decision, a person certainly won't magically become a gay male just by buying white. Sorry CA-Sport couldn't follow. Tsk tsk tsk!

Sir Rover
Clearly I'm joking. I'm actually "stealing" my humor from Real Men Don't Eat Quiche. (Does anyone remember that book from the 80's?) Anyhoo, there's always been this on-going joke that a guy driving (any) white car is probably Gay. I think it's hilarious! **Yo liontaki - thanks for having a sense of humor!**:thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, Ca Sport you crack me up! Thanks for the feedback, some great points... I've decided to go with mariana black....it was a toss-up, finally decided I had an 06 HSE in white, and felt like something different. Plus, I just don't like that dang grill on the newer Range, and if I went with black and blacked out everything, the ugly grill would be less distracting. I figured blacking out the grill on a white car or even "whiting out" the grill on a white car just wouldn't quite look right. Black will be a major pain to clean, I agree.
So....I plan on completely blacking out the exterior, grill, lettering, any type of silver striping will be painted black. Also probably do a black rim, although I have no idea which rims would look best.....
I've narrowed down interior choices to all ebony OR all ivory....What do you guys think? Ca-sport I know you have something to say....ha

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
130 Posts
Clearly I'm joking. I'm actually "stealing" my humor from Real Men Don't Eat Quiche. (Does anyone remember that book from the 80's?) Anyhoo, there's always been this on-going joke that a guy driving (any) white car is probably Gay. I think it's hilarious! **Yo liontaki - thanks for having a sense of humor!**:thumb:
Hey Hey Hey, I have a sense of humor, just never read that book. Geez! (probably why i couldn't follow, apologies-CA Sport; next time man tell a joke I'm familiar with (something a little more current), lol).

Jonnyrob, congrats on picking your Rover color; sounds destined to be a beauty.

Oh, Sam818 that is VERY nice!!! Though i still prefer the mariana, hands down!!

rover rover rover.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love the Mariana Black, in fact that was my first choice when starting to plan for the new Rover... but in Texas, 50% of the new Rovers I see on the road are Santorini, 20-30% are Mariana, and a ton of people do not even notice the blue flecks in Mariana (even though I think they are awesome and obvious) and just think "Oh its another Black Rover" - So I went with Fuji white to be a little less lemmingish. I do love Mariana though... maybe next time.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm a "white guy". Lol. It probably will be the most common color but I think most luxury cars look best in white.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have mariana black with cirrus/blue interior. The mariana black looks blue only when clean and in sunlight, otherwise it tends to look black- When it sparkles blue it looks beautiful- however most the time it looks black.. they need to lighten it up a bit

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mab1, how do you like the Cirrus/Navy interior?

My 2014 RR Autobiography in Loire Blue with Cirrus/Navy/Shadow Walnut will arrive next week, so I will post pictures soon and let everyone know how I like that color combo. Loire Blue is a very dark blue with a nice amount of metallic sparkle.

Should of had her last week, but they punctured a tire unloading the truck from the ship, so instead of putting the spare in place to transport cross country, they ordered a new tire, and now I wait . . . LOL!

·
Registered
60 Posts
cirrus with the navy carpet and trim looks great- was concerned it was too light and would get dirty but stays clean and dirt wipes up with a damp cloth

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is great news. I have been concerned about the same issue with the Cirrus seats. But, I was so tired of 15+ years of black interiors. Will post pictures soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
First time poster, go easy!

Just ordered a January build Vogue, Santorini with Type 6 22". Went with the full Cirrus interior and panoramic roof - am quite tired of my current full Ebony and wanted something light and contemporary.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts