RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to manually close the sunroof in the Classic similar to how its done in the P38? Mine is about 1" away from closing. I dont care much about having to utilize the sunroof so if I can just get it to close I'd be happy.

Ive looked at other threads but I can't get a clear picture on if there is a way to manually close it. When I try by hand it wont budge.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Remove the interior light in front of the sunroof
On the motor there is a slot
There is a special tool to manually close ... but if you don’t have that
Use a screw driver... that’s how it works on a classic... I looked up the p38 and it said the same thing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I thought. I put a screwdriver in the slot but it wouldn’t move. Just kinda clicked a quarter turn both ways with no sunroof movement. Didn’t want to turn too hard for fear I might break it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Try putting your hand against the sunroof and put pressure on it as you turn it...
Sounds like it is off track..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Try putting your hand against the sunroof and put pressure on it as you turn it...
Sounds like it is off track..
Is it possible to manually close the sunroof in the Classic similar to how its done in the P38? Mine is about 1" away from closing. I dont care much about having to utilize the sunroof so if I can just get it to close I'd be happy.

Ive looked at other threads but I can't get a clear picture on if there is a way to manually close it. When I try by hand it wont budge.

It seems that your tracks are not aligned. As I advised a previous op, you will have to remove the motor from the track behind the interior light so that the cables can be set in the correct position. To be able to do this you must be able to have the sunroof in the tilt position and then remove the glass.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It seems that your tracks are not aligned. As I advised a previous op, you will have to remove the motor from the track behind the interior light so that the cables can be set in the correct position. To be able to do this you must be able to have the sunroof in the tilt position and then remove the glass.
Do not keep trying to force it as you will strip the nylon gogs.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My one was doing this at the last couple of inches to close.

It should, as it reaches the final close position, start to jack the rear edge of the glass to bring that end up and level with the roofline (it drops on opening to allow the panel to slide under the exterior roof panel) but if the torque on the motor rises too much from travelling along the track it will initiate the lift part too early and before the panel is in the home position. This results in the rear of the panel pinching itself and preventing further forward movement.

If you open it halfway, then pushing with your fingers on the front lip, activate switch and "assist" it all the way forward with constant pressure then it'll usually close fully.

To long term correct, open roof and clean thoroughly all the visible tracks etc, reapply some std lithium grease and then cycle the roof. It's usually better working in the sun / warmer temperatures as the grease spreads throughout more effectively.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts