RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

My EPB is acting up...squealing like crazy and I can't release it using the normal lever, odd since I had this replaced about 20K miles ago.

Tried to release it by pulling on the cable below the cup holders but no luck either. Looked back at the other PDF about resetting the EPB, and now waiting another 20 minutes for the module to cool down.

Any other emergency procedure I can try...thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Shoot Paul, the only thing I can think of (and I don't really think it will help) is to use the "emergency" engagement. I remember seeing it on the LR DVD when I first bought the truck and they showed using it at highway speeds and it gradually slowed down. So naturally I wanted to test it, though at a more modest 5-10mph. When I pulled and held the brake switch up to engage all of a sudden it just locked up and I screeched to a halt. Who knows, maybe it could "shock" the brake out of its stuck position, but I'm thinking it wont even do anything or perhaps make it worse. /:(

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Paul, any fault messages on the dash? Make sure you yank that emergency release ring under the cup holder HARD. It requires at least 45 lb-ft of pull to disengage. Insert a screwdriver shaft in the hole of the jack handle and use it for extra pulling force. If that doesn't do it, you're out of tricks - although it can't hurt to try 3E's suggestion I guess... :( Only other unjamming procedure is performed through diagnostics. I hope it's not your EPB module on the fritz. Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Yeah hope the above stuff works Paul. :pray:

This is a real hail mary if the above does not work (and somehow you can still rotate the rotor even a little bit). The back rotor has an inspection hole and adjuster nut for the EPB. You could try to back that off all the way and hopefully release the EPB shoes from the inner hat of the disc.

Taking the wheel off, remove the plastic plug on the rotor hat and rotate the rotor until the nut shows up. If you can't rotate the rotor by hand (likely if the pb is engaged even a little), you might try to get some leverage by wedging a bar between the studs and trying to turn the rotor.

Good luck.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gents...

Indeed, I have tried to gently move the car forwards and backwards to dislodge the brake shoes, although that's not recommended since it can also screw up other items, including the transfer case - according to the mechanic.

I've threaded a piece of rope thru the cable below the cup holder to get leverage and feel like I'm pulling with all my might, but nothing releases, tried it several times last night, but to no avail. Luckily I think that even though I am past warranty, the module itself may still be covered by my friend at the LR dealer, since it wasn't that long ago I had it replaced...OK, well 20K miles is not exactly yesterday, but we'll see.

Goose - The hole on the rotor is exactly the next step to do tonight, I had to adjust that the last time the EPB module was installed as the brake shoes were just too close to the drum and were binding a bit, so had to back it off a few clicks.

At any rate, driving the P-car this morning, so left the RRS on the driveway...the mechanic is coming over tonight (house call!) to help me do the brake shoe adjustment.

Many thanks for the inputs...I scoured the UK site as well last night, but although several have found the looped cable, none seem to have actually been able to dislodge the brakes more than once.

This is one area where I feel that the electronics are a disservice, much rather have a manual process, but even that manual emergency release doesn't seem to work well...unless I'm doing something wrong.

Cheers fellas.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Yes that's great service, hope he figures it out, and let us know what he does in case we have this problem.

And I agree on the elctronic part--LR needlessly complicating the system w that.

Which brings me to a question. No, not the question if you can drive the speed of light would the headlights still work one :D ....but when that EPB module fails, is it designed to fail so the parking brake is engaged?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
PJPR01 said:
I've threaded a piece of rope thru the cable below the cup holder to get leverage and feel like I'm pulling with all my might, but nothing releases, tried it several times last night, but to no avail.
It's not going to help now, but next time try using the round "hook" at the end of the handle extension for the cheapo floor jack under the floorboard in the trunk. That's what the hook is for (to pull the emergency release cable of the EPB under the cup holder) and it's quicker and safer than a threaded rope, since the access plug between the cup holders doesn't give you much wiggle room to begin with.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
It may not be the EPB itself that's bad. I had to take my new LR4 in 4 times because the shoes acually backed out on their own, essentially turning on the EBrake. The first three times, they replaced the shoes and the smoked rotor, and then replaced the EPB module ($800)! It did it again , so I got rid of the truck. According to my dealer, they have had this problem with Sports and LR3's, but this was the first LR4 that has done this, although the LR4's haven't been out for very long. They have never had it happen on a Full Size RR. You may have to manually back off the adjusters to free it up.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks PA...that's what I'll be trying in the next hour when the mechanic comes over...failing that I'll have to cut the cables and get the new module with cables replaced.

Frankly, I'm almost thinking about not even having an EPB anymore...but we'll know soon enough!

Thanks again everyone!

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Don't cut the cables!... they are all (including the emergency release one) built into the module, which is a loaf of bread sized thing above the spare tire. The module alone is $800!!! plus 3 hours labor. My plan was to just unhook the cables inside the drum, or take the shoes out completely, but PA requires a functional Ebrake for inspection.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well...partial success - and managed to save the mechanic a trip over after all.

I managed to release the brakes after jerking on the emergency release cable about 10 times as hard as I could (Umberto...you weren't kidding about the amount of force it takes to release this), and finally the brake shoes released, and all is good for driving.

Naturally however, there is still a flashing RED parking brake light on the dash so will see if that disappears later tonight, and upon trying to re-apply the EPB, I can now hear just a smooth noise, not the same screeching as before, so this suggests that the plastic gears inside the bread loaf sized module are probably stripped.

At least now we're drivable again, but looks like like the EPB module will have to be replaced - so we'll see if I get lucky and have it covered under warranty even though I'm about 800 miles past that now.

Thanks everyone for the inputs...

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Well...partial success - and managed to save the mechanic a trip over after all.

I managed to release the brakes after jerking on the emergency release cable about 10 times as hard as I could (Umberto...you weren't kidding about the amount of force it takes to release this), and finally the brake shoes released, and all is good for driving.

Naturally however, there is still a flashing RED parking brake light on the dash so will see if that disappears later tonight, and upon trying to re-apply the EPB, I can now hear just a smooth noise, not the same screeching as before, so this suggests that the plastic gears inside the bread loaf sized module are probably stripped.

At least now we're drivable again, but looks like like the EPB module will have to be replaced - so we'll see if I get lucky and have it covered under warranty even though I'm about 800 miles past that now.

Thanks everyone for the inputs...
If you need another module, and don't care if its used, I would be curious if these guys can get one and what the price would be. I know LKQ is one of the largest networks in the US.
http://www.lkqcorp.com/location/location.asp?state=TX
I have not needed to get anything from a breaker for the RRS yet :pray: so I don't have any first hand experience if they have RRS parts. I know a guy who used them for other makes (body parts primarily) with good success though.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Goose...I'll check on that since I know I'll need another module.

Frankly, unless they cover it under warranty, I'll definitely look for one from a wrecker yard, since the EPB is not that critical an item unless I lived in San Francisco on Lombard street!

:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for this thread!

I have an 08 RRS SC I just got a few weeks and the same issue happened to me. Luckily, I was in my driveway when it happened. I saw the video on YouTube from powerfulukltd and followed it but my brake still wouldn’t release, that led me here. I also had to get a better tool to put through the loop for more leverage for pulling to finally release the brake.

An important note is that the brake will release but the flashing light will remain on the dashboard so you will easily think that the brake is still engaged when it is actually released.

I now have the same issue that the flashing red parking brake light is on but it is actually released. I never heard any screeching sound with the parking brake, just a normal sound like it’s engaging but does not.

Question for anyone who experienced this is did you have to get an EPB Actuator replaced or was it something else? I see that they are an expensive fix.

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same issue. My 2008 RR Sport SC EPB will intermittantly screach when engaged. This been happening over the last month but I would get it to release by turning the vehicle off and on again. Yesterday it happened again in my driveway(my luck) but this time it wouldn't release, no matter what I did. Why on earth would they design a system like that? I am lucky that I am stranded home but this could happen anywhere away from home. I'll try using the release ring tomorrow and eventually unhook the cable from the break because I dont need headache

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Why on earth would they design a system like that?
There is nothing wrong with the design. Most failures come from lack of use. Just like transfer cases... folks that drive only in the malls can;t figure out why their transfer cases won;t go into low range. Like anything in life, if you don;t use it you lose it. If you are not a parking brake person, at least cycle it once a week just to keep things operational.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The error in the design on this EPB was that they used plastic gears inside the box instead of metal ones. Even with regular use of the EPB, I went thru 3 EPB boxes over 200K miles. It's a ****ty design, odd that no one has come up with an alternative. Either way, use it often and regularly, as that is a better way to at least extend the life, but it doesn't guarantee unfortunately that it won't fail at some point...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but the mechanic at the dealership tells me to always manually release the EPB instead of pressing down on the accelerator. Have a nice weekend.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same issue. My 2008 RR Sport SC EPB will intermittantly screach when engaged. This been happening over the last month but I would get it to release by turning the vehicle off and on again. Yesterday it happened again in my driveway(my luck) but this time it wouldn't release, no matter what I did. Why on earth would they design a system like that? I am lucky that I am stranded home but this could happen anywhere away from home. I'll try using the release ring tomorrow and eventually unhook the cable from the break because I dont need headache
Well I tried releasing the brake with no success. I applied lots of force but its still stuck. Its still making the screahing sound diplaying the the following; Parking BR Fault System Not Functional. Any ideas on how I can get this release?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but the mechanic at the dealership tells me to always manually release the EPB instead of pressing down on the accelerator. Have a nice weekend.
Somehow the manual release its not working for me. If I manually release it everytime, wouldn't the brake light on the dash keep flashing?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts