RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever converted the air suspension system on the P38 to full manual control (via a switchbox or remote)?

Example video of what Im talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDnvf4EUFPE

Lowriders and hotrodders started "bagging" cars like this several years ago, with fast air suspensions with compressors , metal tanks and the airbags. Since the RR already has most of these components, is there a simple way to add an airtank, perhaps new compressor, switches etc and make it a "fast bagged" setup?

has anyone done it? Links? resources?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
hmmm Anything is possible with cash thrown at it.......

I dont know enough about the low riders etc but I always thought they employed some sort of air ram or hyraulic type of ram to raise and lower the car, and its not actually "air bags" as such.

You would need to seriously beef up the valve block and at least tripple the air line diameter and run some CRAZY pressures in your air tank to charge the system to get anywhere near the sort of rapid response your after. The Range Rover Classic air suspension seems to have somewhat snappier movement compared to the P38.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no im not talking about hydraulics...im talking about air suspension , which is known as "bagging" and has become very popular in the US in the past 5 years or so.

Bagging a car/truck, as in the video, uses many of the exact same components as the RR system.

Im not looking to hop, just have manual up/down/side to side control as I please.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
yeah that would be quite easy, especially as recently pinouts and even maybe some software has been talked about and posted.

G

·
0 Posts
I can.

Just yesterday I was unloading/loading a canoe on the car where I was forced to park the car such that the right side was much lower than the left. Obviously this meant the roof rack was tilted to the right and thus the canoe really want to move to the right. It would have been nice to lower just the left airsprings to keep the car level while parked. Of course this feature would only be safe when the car was not moving.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
halik said:
i cant think of a good reason why you'd wanna have tilt fwd/back and left/right functionality...
I can.

When you use the Rangie with a roof tent or when you sleepin to make it level even on a rough terrain

Quite impressive

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
996TURBO said:
halik said:
i cant think of a good reason why you'd wanna have tilt fwd/back and left/right functionality...
I can.

When you use the Rangie with a roof tent or when you sleepin to make it level even on a rough terrain

Quite impressive
or traversing a side-slope...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Or if you've dropped something down one of the vents on the dash and want to roll the car from side to side to make it fall into the drain tube.

Hundreds of totally valid reasons.

David

ps :wink:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
I can picture my mother in law getting in and lowering her side of the truck once she is in. This would indicate she is entirely too big for my truck and she'll have to find other transportation! Sigh... dang that might just be worth it! :twisted:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts
Some of the uses have already been mentioned, here are mine over the last few weeks:

1. Drop to put on roof rack and roof top tent
2. Rise to full height to wheel a bit, yes, with tent on top
3. Autolevel on uneven site for tent.
4. Off road height for more wheeling
5. Drop to lowest to remove tent.
6. Drop to lowest to pick up grandmother
7. Drop to enter low overhead parking garage (the attendant came running out to tell me "no SUV's" but with a hit of the button I drove under the bar 8)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
So've I.

And I also used the manual air suspension to level the RR when overnighting on a slope w/our roof-top tents this summer.

If you want to make your RR bounce and dance like the lowriders, you'll need a much bigger resevoir (air tank) and much bigger solenoids and lines capable of moving large quantities of air quickly. But why?

One of the more stupid things I've seen since starting in on air suspensions is a 'dance pad'. Looks kinda like the mat from the game 'Twister' with switches in the individual fields and is connected to the valve block. As the dancer hits the switches in the pad, the car 'dances' with him/her. You could do that and really have fun.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Just thought I'd add, that playing around with the EAS with a 'manual controller' is great fun. I built mine over a year ago and went to town a bit with lights and switches. It is incredibly uplifting to know that whatever happened to my EAS ECU - including going in "EAS FAULT" mode, you can still get home. This was of course before "EAS" released the code to reset the ECU. Thanks "EAS" whoever you are!..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts