RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recently purchased a 99 4.6 HSE for his daughter. It has developed a very loud exhaust leak toward the rear P/S engine bank manifold which was diagnosed as a head gasket leak by a local repair shop. Frankly I am skeptical since the car does not appear to be misfiring and nor does it overheat. I see signs of some orange gasket sealer around the manifold which might point to some previous work having been carried out but before I tear into it I would appreciate your words of wisdom.
Thanks all,

Chris.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi,

check my post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36983

It first started as an exhaust manifold leak (very faint sound) and ultimately it developed into a fully blown head gasket (which is the sound in the video).

FYI, the manifold leak was more of a tick sound.

N.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
That sounds weird Chris.
Funniest head gasket sound I have heard, sounds much more like the exhaust manifold gasket to me too mate.
Let me know when you find out, and offer still stands to weld the manifolds if they need it :thumb:
Tell the guy I will give him $500 for the POS and take it off his hands though :lol:

Martin

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bumpity bump; Seems like it is the head gasket after all. I replaced the manifold gaskets and no change. Funny, in years of auto work I have never seen a head gasket do this. Here's hoping it isn't the head itself. :pray:

Chris.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts