1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man Shot and killed with wife while getting into his Range Rover

Aloha Range Rover Mates,
I saw on the news this happened in a shopping mall in New Jersey. SO horrible and it made me think about how to protect my wife and myself. Now i know all about situational awareness and paying attention to your surroundings.
So i was talking to my wife about this and we both agreed that if they the bad guys want the car we would give it to them. but if it looked like the bad guys were going to do us harm then i would do everything possible to stop them. Which would include carrying a can of pepper spray a taser and as a last resort a firearm. Now i do have a few firearms but where i live you cant get a conceal carry permit and would not want to break the law.
My wife said screw the law i don't want to be dead and that she would carry the firearm if necessary.
We live in a pretty good area in California pretty safe as far as we know. We do a lot of road trips when i am off my ship and just thought better safe than sorry and have one locked up legal in my rover when traveling.
So what do you think.
Merry Christmas to all stay warm and safe.
Capt Ken Chinn
US Merchant Marine or dirty bear drinking Playboy sailor as everybody thinks i am.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: Man Shot and killed with wife while getting into his Range Rover

If you pull it you better use it ! I think if they are out to get you,you will not see it coming! Too many problems with holding a weapon, ie, what if they get it? Where am I? will I hit someone else if I miss ? What if the kids get hold of the weapon? Are they really a threat ? Its only a car! So many choices in the US of A

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Aloha Capt Ken.

Hopefully this man was not a member of this site and my prayers go out to his wife and family.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ls-mall-shooting-carjacking-article-1.1549107

This mall is not far from me :sad:. The mall is about a 20 minute highway ride from Newark, which means its easy access for the excrement from that jewel of a city that wish to carjack and shoplift on a regular basis. Based on what I see in the local paper, and I'm sure the mall owners do everything possible to keep those stories to a minimum, car jackings and other thefts (headlights etc) are not uncommon. It's a very upscale mall, i.e, they display Bentleys, Porsche's and RR's on the mall concourses, they even have a Tesla showroom.

Such a shame and lets hope they catch them.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts

They're about $25k off on that RRS's book value though

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
38 Posts

Very sorry to hear that. NJ, NY and CA are horrible for having gun laws that only penalize the law-abiding citizen. The criminals don't follow the law! If you don't have a CWP I would certainly carry pepper spray, bully club, or some type of weapon. Situation awareness is crucial. If you carry yourself strong and are scanning, looking for possible threats, most can be avoided. Criminals also look for that. They're going to go after the weak, someone not watching what's going on, sucked in their iPhone. If you do carry, practice, practice and more practice. Educate your kids. Go over what it is, it's a tool and what it's for it's no longer a mysterious taboo. It's an equalizer.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

The criminals don't follow the law!
Hence the name criminals...I think.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts

NJ, NY and CA are horrible for having gun laws that only penalize the law-abiding citizen.
That's a can of worms you don't wanna open. Lol

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts

The last time someone stooped to politics on this board it ended in the thread being deleted and a couple members getting the boot. Let's continue to keep RRnet free from religion, politics, foul language and sexual content so that it is inviting to everyone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sorry i don't want to get thrown off this site. You guys are great
Merry Christmas
Capt Ken

·
Premium Member
788 Posts

Sorry i don't want to get thrown off this site. You guys are great
Merry Christmas
Capt Ken
it wasnt directed at you

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

it wasnt directed at you
Plus what fun would the "guess where Capt Ken is?" contest be, if we didn't know where you were?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well that's good to know lots of Aloha on this site that's for sure.
My Latitude is 27 degrees 43.7 Minutes North 091 Degrees 06.5 Minutes West.
I will be stuck here till the 28th. Christmas at sea sucks.
Then i have to go to school for Radar Renewal and then school for Helicopter underwater evacuation training. That class is really fun they have a simulator of a helicopter on a crane and the dunk you in the helicopter under water and turn it upside down and you have to push out the windows unbuckle your harness and swim to the surface. Its to simulate a helicopter crash at sea so you might live. this is how we get to the ship from Houma LA, it about a hour flight out to the ship we fly over all the swamp people and see all their camps pretty fun ride. you can google its called HUET training.
Have a Merry Christmas
Ken

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
38 Posts

Merry Christmas from where it's a balmy 65 degrees in December!:shock:

·
Banned
901 Posts

I'll tell you what my driver instructor told me (in DC which has crazy gun laws too) keep a firearm in the car (under the front seat) loaded without one in the chamber. If you get pulled over tell the cop about it and tell him why you have it. In CO the gun laws are a bit more sane and provide for that.

If you are really worried about the law and have money I'd get a working revolver from before 1894. These are considered historic and you can keep it loaded and not have any issues ever. If a cop does put you in jail for it you can sue the department and make some money (the worse you are treated the more you will get).

The L322 Glovebox is almost built for a .45 or full size sig.

How do you deal with pirates Capt? I've thought about getting a 50 BMG if I take my boat into international waters past like the caribbean.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts

In CO the gun laws are a bit more sane.
Home of one of the first school massacre sites AND the most recent.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Aloha Cliff, Merry Christmas.
As far as bringing a fire arm on your boat a 50 BMG would be a great anti pirate Rifle i have shot one a few times with a seal team on board while carrying military cargo through the straights. it is really hard to hit a moving object at sea while your boobing up and down on a yacht. I was on a ship and had a hard time hitting a 55gal drum. If your going to the Caribbean you have to be really careful what you have and declare when you enter the countries territorial waters. I have some old capt buddies that run big yachts out of FT Laurderdale and i can tell you what they do. I would just hate to give you some advise and read about a american in a foreign country like mexico in jail. I think the Caribbean is pretty safe. on that note i would do everything possible to protect my crew family etc and would just say my firearms were lost at sea fell overboard after the fact. :)
Hope you and your family have a great Christmas
Ken

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts

Home of one of the first school massacre sites AND the most recent.
Couldn;t resist could ya? :roll:

So care to barf up some regurgitated stance on whales? :snooty:

·
Premium Member
788 Posts

Couldn;t resist could ya? :roll:

So care to barf up some regurgitated stance on whales? :snooty:
Regurgitated? No. But if you want a lucid, thought provoking opinion then ask, by all means.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts

But no, I could not resist the irony

1 - 20 of 24 Posts