RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, my question is if it ever snowed in Mammoth Mountain, California, while driving an RRS, do you need snowchains. My dealer told me that when it's starts to snow and they see you with a Range Rover, they let you through. Is this TRUE? or just BS?

We're planning on going up to Mammoth this weekend and there's a forecast that it might snow up there, so i was just wondering if i should invest in snowchains. FYI, i live in Los Angeles, and i don't see myself driving in thick snow that often.

Also, if you get snowchains, how good are they at protecting your wheels (i have 20" Stormer wheels) and i'm afraid that it might get scratched and dinged from the snowchains while driving. Or are the chains pretty tight and snug when installed. I've never had any experience with snowchains, so please explain to me.

Thanks.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
carter said:
hello, my question is if it ever snowed in Mammoth Mountain, California, while driving an RRS, do you need snowchains. My dealer told me that when it's starts to snow and they see you with a Range Rover, they let you through. Is this TRUE? or just BS?

We're planning on going up to Mammoth this weekend and there's a forecast that it might snow up there, so i was just wondering if i should invest in snowchains. FYI, i live in Los Angeles, and i don't see myself driving in thick snow that often.

Also, if you get snowchains, how good are they at protecting your wheels (i have 20" Stormer wheels) and i'm afraid that it might get scratched and dinged from the snowchains while driving. Or are the chains pretty tight and snug when installed. I've never had any experience with snowchains, so please explain to me.

Thanks.
I doubt they would let you through on summer tires at a checkpoint, no matter what vehicle you drive. With M+S or snow tires in lieu of chains they might let you through since you are driving a 4x4 vehicle. If conditions are bad enough (never happened to me on the way to Mammoth though, they usually keep those roads Spic And Span especially during the holidays), it wouldn't hurt to carry a set of chains in the car anyway, last thing you want to do is spending your holiday in beautiful downtown Bishop because the sky opens up, you cannot find chains that fit and CHP won't let you through. If chains turn out not to be required you can always return them for a refund when you come back. I don't know much about tire chains, but I think it might be tough to find a set that fits your 20s on a short notice, especially down here in Southern California. I think Land Rover recommends Spike Spiders for your 20s, they would probably cause less damage than chains to the alloys, should you have to put them on. I am sure you will get good suggestions shortly from more experienced forum members used to that funny white stuff... :wink: Mammoth is a great getaway, have a good time and post pictures when you come back. Happy holidays!

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
carter said:
My dealer told me that when it's starts to snow and they see you with a Range Rover, they let you through. Is this TRUE? or just BS?
In the years I have been driving Land Rover products I have only been stopped once at a check point. THe pass had JUST closed a matter of moments before reaching the closure. The patrolman asked if I had chains with me. I pointed toward the back, he smiled and waved me through. I think the Hummer in front of us was a bit miffed. :mrgreen: Any other time I have always been waived through while other trucks and Burus were turned around.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They would probably let you through, but I wouldn't do it - just not worth it. All the electronics in the world won't help if you've got zero grip.

AWD + wrong tires = All Wheel Drift

Incidentally, I just picked up my RRS Supercharged the other night and they made me sign a document that stated that I would not install tire chains on the 20's.

I'm going to set up a set of 19's with winter tires - I've currently got Nokian's on my Cayenne S and used to run Blizzaks on my Audi S6.

By the way, this is just my two cents, for what its worth. I'm sure some do ok without a dedicated winter setup. I live in the bay and usually go to Tahoe every other weekend ... figured winter wheels were only a little more than my insurance deductible :D.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very smart. They will pay for themselves with the first avoided accident

the deductible is only one part of it... Possible injury or worse, deprecation, lawsuits from who you hit, etc all make snow tires a great investment

1 - 6 of 6 Posts