RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I would like to know if anyone knows what mechanical modifications can be made to the suspension of a RR SC 2011 to make it more comfortable/softer. Although I haven't found a technical explanation it seems that the suspension of the SC is firmer than in other models. It's a bit uncomfortable because in daily use you can notice the irregularities of the road. Has anyone tried any modifications to the suspension to make it softer? Thanks very much.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Easier and cheaper solution is to replace the tyres with bigger profile ones

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hello, I would like to know if anyone knows what mechanical modifications can be made to the suspension of a RR SC 2011 to make it more comfortable/softer. Although I haven't found a technical explanation it seems that the suspension of the SC is firmer than in other models. It's a bit uncomfortable because in daily use you can notice the irregularities of the road. Has anyone tried any modifications to the suspension to make it softer? Thanks very much.
You can’t get smaller wheels with your calipers. There are even other 20” wheels that won’t fit due to the sheer size of the brakes.

Replace the control arm bushings. The rubber in general doesn’t last very long on these vehicles.

Also consider an IIDtool to actually lower the “Normal” height of the suspension. It actually lowers at highway speeds unnoticeably but riding like that all the time may provide a softer ride. Just don’t let yourself hit the bump stops... would be counterproductive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
894 Posts
To really change the suspension for softer rates, you would have to convert to conventional springs with a softer rate. Course you would loose height adjustments and run the risk of turning it into a handling mess of a car. Is this a new car to you? Are you sure everything is working properly? I have a '12 SC and cant really imagine wanting a softer suspension. I would take a "firm" mode for curvy pavement but I don't really think of a L322 as corner carver anyway.

·
Registered
293 Posts
To really change the suspension for softer rates, you would have to convert to conventional springs with a softer rate. Course you would loose height adjustments and run the risk of turning it into a handling mess of a car. Is this a new car to you? Are you sure everything is working properly? I have a '12 SC and cant really imagine wanting a softer suspension. I would take a "firm" mode for curvy pavement but I don't really think of a L322 as corner carver anyway.
It’s the fact that some bumps feel very isolated and others, while more shallow, are incredibly jarring.

It’s a combination of bushings gone and interior rattles that makes owners want a softer suspension.

·
Registered
894 Posts
How long do control arms last on the L322? Mine seem fine but only 64k. My old Audi consumed them every 50-60k but the wear was more obvious through sloppy steering than ride.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,147 Posts
I'm about to replace all the front ones and the ball joint on the wife's '11FFSC. Look to be original at @150k miles. One clunking a little.
One thing you may want to check is that the struts are in good order. The fronts are variable rate, so may be stuck in the "firm" setting. Check the wiring at the top of the strut to start. There is a wiring harness you can replace with a new one, as they break at the top of the strut

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all, thanks for your answers. This is a used vehicle I bought 1 year ago so I could not really know if something is wrong. It is just firmer than expected; usually at low speeds in the city I feel like I can feel all small irregularities in the road. On the road is fine so maybe it is related to the height of suspension that is lowered at high speed as mentioned. So far the main possibilities are:

-change of tires for bigger profiles, doable
-
control arm bushing replacements, doable
-lower height of suspension, doable
-
convert to conventional springs (this is too much of a modification for me)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, forgot to ask if anyone knows why the l405 seems to have a softer suspension vs our L322 as most owners stress how the ride much more comfortable

·
Registered
293 Posts
Also, forgot to ask if anyone knows why the l405 seems to have a softer suspension vs our L322 as most owners stress how the ride much more comfortable
A lot can do with suspension geometry, caster comes to mind, that can affect whether your wheels are being pulled or pushed over the bumps.

Best we can do without changing vehicles entirely is replace the old dry rotted rubber bushings. Bags are bags until they start leaking, but the shock absorber may come to mind as something to inspect. Smaller wheels are completely off the table for an S/C.

I’m approaching 150k miles in my 2012. I’m thoroughly convinced it’s age not mileage.

·
Registered
170 Posts
probably the shocks are softer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm about to replace all the front ones and the ball joint on the wife's '11FFSC. Look to be original at @150k miles. One clunking a little.
One thing you may want to check is that the struts are in good order. The fronts are variable rate, so may be stuck in the "firm" setting. Check the wiring at the top of the strut to start. There is a wiring harness you can replace with a new one, as they break at the top of the strut
Here's a good thread on this. My 2011 RR SC suspension had a drastic change, and the fault light came on, the thread below saved my ass and $$.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,147 Posts
Here's a good thread on this. My 2011 RR SC suspension had a drastic change, and the fault light came on, the thread below saved my ass and $$.

Exactly what I was saying. The wiring kit is super easy to install

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thicker rubber will give some comfort i.e moving to 50-55-60. check what STD for you year here .

Use this tyre comparison to match the speedo etc so it does not diviate too much .

·
Registered
44 Posts

For sure bushings and rubber bits in suspension lose their give with age. Try lowering tire pressure for day. Drop it by 5-10lbs just to see how it feels. Tires should be less than 5 years old to be most supple.

My 2008, w/new struts feel firmer than the old ones. Ride is rougher than my D4 Audi A8. I think with the most comfortable tires, the RR should be close tho.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts