RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Im prepping for some maintenance work and need to know a few things about the L494 RRS.

1. Where is the oil dipstick? I know you can check it electronically, but I am sure there is a mechanical way to check as well. Do i have to buy a dipstick? Where's the tube?
2. Same question for the trans. How and where do i check the level?
3. Is there a way to run a self-diagnostic without a scanner? My Benz had "secret" menus through which i can access fault codes for most systems. Anything on the L494?
4. Are the brake pads a straight forward job? Simply press the piston back in? There is no special electronic method to retract them?

Thanks guys!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
I don't believe that no one here knows any of this info :???:
I cant believe you don’t know how to use the search function of a forum.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
I don't believe that no one here knows any of this info :???:
Totally inappropriate response from someone who has not even read the forum guidelines. Bumps are never appropriate in less that a day. Dude, it's the weekend. Folks here are out enjoying their time, their rigs, family, friends and home projects and other activities. Weekends are slow on the site, always have been. Folks spend far more time browsing the forums during the work week, in the evenings or when they wake up and are sipping coffee. You gotta give folks to SEE your post, KNOW the answer and FEEL like sharing. Then again many of us us would point you to your owners manual and search function as pointed out above and to read the guidelines.

You intial posting ws doomed from the moment you hit enter. We still have no idea what year 494 you are requesting info for nor do we have any idea if it is petrol or diesel. Again, read the guidelines, follow them so as to help us help you. Without basic model info it is impossible to give you accurate information other than RTFM.

Many Range Rovers have not any kind of dip stick for engine oil or tranny fluid in ages. Transmission dip sticks disappeared in late 1999 when BMW changed P38s over to Bosch management. Engine oil dipsticks disappeared several years ago when full engine covers and "see your dealer for service" became the norm. At this juncture you don;t even remove a drain plug to change oil, you use the provided vacuum tube and appropriate equipment. Now there is still a drain plug, but that requires removing an entire under carriage plate to reach it. Other fluids like differentials and transfer cases never had dipsticks and you have to actually remove plugs and get a finger dirty. :shock:

Common guy, read the guidelines, learn the flavour of the site and give folks a chance to actually respond before making snarky comments when it hasn't even been 24 hours since posting.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't anticipate such a rough start with the LR crowd. Hopefully things smooth out from here.

I know forum rules and guidelines, just don't own an RRS at this moment, so no info to fill out... fingers crossed that'll change this week. I am looking at 3 different RRS's this week (2014-6, 5.0L SC Dynamic - Ford's V8 SC and 8 speed ZF trans) and once I know which I'm taking home, i'll complete the user bio. I wanted to ask so i know when i am looking them over. I saw one yesterday privately and couldn't find dipstick tubes anywhere. Mercedes don't have the dipsticks to discourage the end user checking, but they do have the tubes where the service tech can check with a "MB tool" aka dipstick. I'd gladly go buy the LR dipstick at the dealer before seeing the next 3.

And i didn't mean for my comment to be snarky in any way, sorry if it came off that way. I just saw that there were 94 views and no replies. I meant the bump to be more of an encouragement to share even if info wasn't complete, not a whiny complaint.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
So the 15 that was everything you wanted did not pan out? Do some research. Owners manuals can be read for free on the Land Rover site in the owners section. That takes you to TOPIx which is the info source for all technical bits for owners and techs. No matter how you look at technical questions, we can not answer without basic model information... things change far too frequently from model year to model year and even half way through a model year.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the 15 that was everything you wanted did not pan out? Do some research. Owners manuals can be read for free on the Land Rover site in the owners section. That takes you to TOPIx which is the info source for all technical bits for owners and techs. No matter how you look at technical questions, we can not answer without basic model information... things change far too frequently from model year to model year and even half way through a model year.
Unfortunately no. Lots of scratches, dings, interior was pretty beat up. I had to pass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts