Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Make no mistake... The Replica Stormer wheels are complete garbage.

I love the look of the Stormer wheels, so I put chromed 22" replica Stormers on my RRS and black/brushed steel 22" replica stormers on my FFRR Supercharged.

Big mistake.

Two of the wheels on the sport are dented already (with normal street driving) and THREE of the wheels are dented on the FFRR SC, including what a normal sized pothole did to them this past weekend. (See below)

Fisrt chance I get, I'm dumping them. Pure die-cast crap. You do get what you pay for. Lesson learned.

Anyone know of a company that makes forged 22" Stormers?

Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
211 Posts
Re: Make no mistake... The Replica Stormer wheels are complete garbage.

Hahahahaha... you'd have to be in a near collision to bend a wheel like that, regardless of construction or metallurgy.

Sorry, just been around big high dollar rims / cars long enough to know that. How'd you actually do that, btw?

I mean I don't blame you - I'd be pissed too if this happened to me, I've missed PLENTY of potholes and construction cut-outs / grading areas.. but you don't bend a 22" wheel by sneezing on it.

How about lending some constructive nature to the thread by mentioning the supplier of the wheels and how long you've had each set on the vehicles? What was the rim and tire size on each?

edit: AFAIK no one makes 22" stormers.. if you've got $$$ burning a hole in your wallet and want to spend $12K on a set of wheels, just buy some HRE's and call it a day. However, what killed the rim in the OP will also destroy an HRE - sorry but that's reality.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Pothole on Sunset Blvd. It hit hard, but nothing out of the ordinary. I didn't even notice the wheel till later that night. I had no reason to believe that a simple pothole could do that to the rim.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Two different shops on eBay. If I remember correctly, both sets were made by two different manufacturers.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Hahahahaha... you'd have to be in a near collision to bend a wheel like that, regardless of construction or metallurgy.

Sorry, just been around big high dollar rims / cars long enough to know that. How'd you actually do that, btw?

I mean I don't blame you - I'd be pissed too if this happened to me, I've missed PLENTY of potholes and construction cut-outs / grading areas.. but you don't bend a 22" wheel by sneezing on it.

How about lending some constructive nature to the thread by mentioning the supplier of the wheels and how long you've had each set on the vehicles? What was the rim and tire size on each?

edit: AFAIK no one makes 22" stormers.. if you've got $$$ burning a hole in your wallet and want to spend $12K on a set of wheels, just buy some HRE's and call it a day. However, what killed the rim in the OP will also destroy an HRE - sorry but that's reality.
Second that I have been around cars a long time and have owned several sets of rims, regardless of what manufacturer or what type of rims you must always avoid potholes.

Construction may have been cheap on the wheels yes you get what you pay for but I've seen cast, forged etc bend like that well on potholes. The one concern you want to look out for when running cheap wheels is if they don't break apart on you due to the poor casting and poor material used that becomes a safety issue. As far as the wheel bending because you hit a pot hold dead on and getting upset that the wheel did exactly as it was supposed to do ie not break apart or blow your tire out it took the brunt of the hit it seems, so honestly I would be happy that your wheels didnt break apart. Next time try avoiding those pot holes and if you want a good forged wheel yes HRE are good but dont think your going to hit a pothole and expect the HRE's not to do the same thing

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts

Sorry for all the salt in the wound Flash....I don't mind your vent/rant. Seems like we always do our tricks to our rides and no matter how hard we try, they get damaged! Keep the faith and go forged...

·
Registered
211 Posts

Sorry I meant to say that I haven't seen FORGED 22" stormers before :)

And yeah sorry I didn't mean to come across like that, BUT I just ordered a set of 22" hyper silver replicas and I'm very excited about it - so hearing that they're "junk" before I've even put them on the truck is a little frustrating! As aspenone mentioned - doesn't mater what you're driving or what the wheels are, if the pothole is "sharp" enough.. it can do some crazy damage. The worst are the ones you can't avoid!

·
Registered
322 Posts

I have 22" replicas for nearly 5 years now driving in the crap streets of DC.... These wheels are incredibly solid.. i've hit tons of pot holes curb rashed them to hell and I've never seen anything like that bent wheel! I remember, back in the day when I got my rims that people were saying the replicas in some cases were more resilient than high end wheels due to the fact that they were replicas....

Either way, my stormer 22" replicas are solid and have been punished like no other... sorry to hear about your wheels my friend, but I think a large number of owners here have replica 22's and have never experienced a problem like that.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
43 Posts

Interesting...ebay has tons of replica stormers...im actually in the market for some oem stormers to replace the non-stormers on the '06 RRS SC.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
63 Posts

Either way, my stormer 22" replicas are solid and have been punished like no other... sorry to hear about your wheels my friend, but I think a large number of owners here have replica 22's and have never experienced a problem like that.
Replicas are hit or miss. Not sure I understand why people spend so much on their RRS and then go and buy cheap replicas. Wheels and tires are your only connection to the ground.

·
Registered
108 Posts

the RRS is so heavy that you really need a very strong, quality rim. hitting a pothole with all that weight, i could see it bending a cheap rim like that. I do still feel for you though, bent rims suck big time

·
Registered
128 Posts

At less than $200 a wheel, they are disposable IMHO. I've replaced one already, but am into the set for less than $1000 total...

·
Registered
96 Posts

check the sports buy/sell forum for some kahns. now those are nice! not sure if they are forged but they usually go $5000 new.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Never bent one of my Dub Pimpstars.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

3E,
One of these years I have to get up to ID to do a bit of skiing in my quest to ski the known universe and I've yet to check ID off on the list. Now that Boise St is in the Big East (wtf?)...

I can't help to bring this back to the forum after a long absence, but this has to be one of my favorite Utube videos, enjoy...

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts

I forgot about that vid.

Shoot, I'm always down to go skiing. :thumb: Just let me know what game you want to see and I'll get the tix!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Deal 3E, I'll buy the first round of baked potatoes. `)

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover Classic
1 Posts

I love the look of the Stormer wheels, so I put chromed 22" replica Stormers on my RRS and black/brushed steel 22" replica stormers on my FFRR Supercharged.

Big mistake.

Two of the wheels on the sport are dented already (with normal street driving) and THREE of the wheels are dented on the FFRR SC, including what a normal sized pothole did to them this past weekend. (See below)

Fisrt chance I get, I'm dumping them. Pure die-cast crap. You do get what you pay for. Lesson learned.

Anyone know of a company that makes forged 22" Stormer
if you would run 285/40/22s with a little meat , you would not have that problem

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.