RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello yesterday for the 1st time in 17 years of owing my p38 i encountered the death wobble it was so bad ithought my no was up
Most resent i have change 4 shocks to the terra firma one and changed the front panhard rod which was the original one.the front swivel cv may a wear all drag links and track rods have been done steering damper is about 18 month old any help thanks ste.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello yesterday for the 1st time in 17 years of owing my p38 i encountered the death wobble it was so bad ithought my no was up
Most resent i have change 4 shocks to the terra firma one and changed the front panhard rod which was the original one.the front swivel cv may a wear all drag links and track rods have been done steering damper is about 18 month old any help thanks ste.
07770844896 phone calls welcome

·
Registered
376 Posts
try putting front tyres on rear and see if that does anything , if you have fixed steering issues and now you have wheel shimming its the wear pattern on the tyres . theirs a lot of theories on wheel shimming but its actual cause is from poorly worn tyres, brought about by poorly balanced tyres and or worn steering components (its a dynamic balance issue)
PS if that doesn't work you need new tyres?

·
Registered
129 Posts
what about your radius arm bushes/ wheel balance? you may have replaced the wheels to do the shocks, I suppose, do you have the same tires on each axle?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That's the problem then. Poly bushes are absolute crap, you need real ones.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Find and decode the 'date code' on each of your tyres. Tyres get hard over the years (- especially the really long wearing ones like the original Michelin's). If the tyres are over ~8 years old, then change them.

A few years back, there was one section of road about 40 minutes drive from home, that would always trigger the death wobble for about 10 seconds - really scary. Since I put a new set of tyres on it's never done it again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi mate, search utube for p38 dreaded death wobbles. I think Rimmer brothers replace the anti roll bar rubbers and that cures it . I have a pair for mine in wait .

·
Registered
129 Posts
Before spending money on other bits (unless something looks obviously shot ) then I suggest you get rid of the radius arm polybushes first. I've worked my way through the whole front suspension in the last 12 months (due to profound death wobble), and the only thing that genuinely made a difference was eliminating the polybushes on the radius arms, all the rest has been incremental at best.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Not worth the effort. You've been told, bin the poly bushes and fet the correct things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello mate im pick a set up tomorrow lol thanks pal
Poly bushes are junk, and probably feeding the problem. Rover Genuine rubber is the only stuff that you can count on to last, ask me how I know. If you do it yourself you'll need the special bushing tool and a minimum 20-ton hydraulic press.

Also, you might want to get new ball joints. That's what cured mine. I had one that had allowed water in and rusted out the interior.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you do the radius arms yourself, whilst you need some tooling, it is possible to do without the bespoke bushing tool or a 20 tonne press. I don't mind buying tools, but buying expensive tools that you can only use for one operation is annoying. Compress the bush through a taper bearing race 30306

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello mate i put polybushes in about 2 years ago i have just done balls joint both side they where shot both wheel bearing and cv joints and all front roll bar links and bushing too rad and panhard the only thing to do next week replaced steering damper with the new terrafima one drive good now

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
Stedalton
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing