RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a major coolant leak from my 2004 Range Rover, and have no idea where it can be coming from, everything from the under side is in coolant so I can't figure out where it is coming from, although from looking it seems to be dripping down to the ground from the front of the oil pan. I first figured it is the connector people have issues with, but I checked mine and its completely dry, so now I'm thinking it might be the coolant gallery (valley pan) but with that I wouldn't think that huge amount of coolant would leak out I'd even say a gallon a day. Please help me. Before I do the valley pan I want to be sure that it is the issue

Attachments

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
Your pictures are of little help. You have to approach the leak systematically. Where is coolant and where does the engine have holes and where does the radiator have holes? The holes have either a hose connected to them, a pipe with gasket, a pipe with o-ring ... The radiator has the same rules. So look at all of the hoses, pipes and gaskets for leaks. The engine valley pan is a known leaker on the M62 engine. Usually the coolant drains through two weep holes on the back of the block. These can be hard to spot as they get crusty, but they should be there. You should check these holes. Clean them out and see if you have a major flow. Another common leak point on an older M62 engine is the rear coolant cross pipe - the pipe that runs from each side of the head. The gasket goes bad and the bolts start to fail. Both of these locations can be picked up with a mirror. The coolant cross pipe also connects to the water pump via two coolant pipes that tie the back of the engine coolant cross pipe to the front water pump. These o-rings can also go bad with age. The coolant cross pipe also has two hoses that tap in to it - again these can go bad.

The M62 has a couple of freeze plugs, but I have not heard of these going bad. Of the three engines I have worked on personally, I have not seen any leaks from these plugs.

Basically you will need to go through every place where coolant flows and look for signs. Remember that coolant will drip down due to gravity and will get blown back due to wind. This makes the process tricky, but by starting from the front and moving towards the back - looking first on the top and then going down - you can figure it out.

You can get some coolant dye, hose off the engine first, put the dye in the coolant and let the car warm up. With the UV light you will spot the leak.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
KG has tons of very very good information, start with inspecting the rear of the engine. You can remove the cabin air filter box with the two bolts on either side. Either 13 or 15mm IIRC. Whole thing pulls out, and you will be able to see everything a little easier.

Another diagnostic tool would be a pressure tester. A hiss may be audible from the source of the leak.

Note.. The colour of your coolant seems incredibly off, whether it is contaminated with oil or the wrong type.

Only use either Land Rover Blue or BMW Blue coolant, not the Dexcool-esque looking coolant there.

You're in Chicago, how far are you from Lake Geneva? I may be able to help you with a lift to better inspect it. I may have parts on hand.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If the fluid is not blue its not coolant.By the looks in your photos its a brown/orange fluid which would indicate an oil leak unless you are using the wrong coolant in your engine , that orange stuff from autozone is not recomentded for aluminium engines and it could dmage certain rubber components. if the front of the engine is dripping coolant the usual suspects would be your water pump gasket or the rubber o rings in the valley pan pipes, if the drip comes down to the bell housing at the back it most probably is the piping at the back of the intake manifold , some fitting fail there and or it could be the valley pan gasket that has failed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts