RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 HSE Bosch : Do you need to remove the timing chain cover to replace the front main bearing? Going to do it without pulling motor. Looks like in pictures you can get to it without, but I have never tried.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Based on typical gm design you should not have to but I'm not sure either. Forgive me but I am curious as to how you have determined that just the front set of inserts needs changing.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Turpin said:
I am going to change all bearings, but was not sure I could get to the front one like I can the other 4.
You can get to all the bearings as far as I know (having just done the job on a 4.6, but GEMS), but I'm afraid you'll have a very hard time both getting the old upper halves out and the new ones seated properly without removing the cranckshaft. :think:

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Turpin, thanks for the reply. So obvious. I remember from reading old hot rod books that to move the upper bearing shell you bend a cotter pin in a T shape and insert it into the drilled oil hole in the crank,turn the crank and let the bent part of the cotter pin catch the bearing shell and push the shell out as crank is rotated. Good luck with your project. Hopefully the new shells have a bent piece at one edge to keep them from rotating when installed [vs a dowel in the block and a hole in the insert]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts