RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of magnecor - ELECTROSPORTS 80's from http://www.p38spares.co.uk back in december 2006.
I recently found that a number of boots were very loose, noticed because they are now starting to cause problems with a misfire.

On closer inspection i found that they must have been doing this for a while as the contacts are not as clean as i would have expected.
I tried to reinstate them on the plugs to no avail.

"Never mind" i thought, "those were 10 year guaranteed ones." so i emailed Magnecor:-

"I purchased a set of magnecor (blue) for my p38 range rover 1996 4.6 and have noticed over the past few months that the connection between lead an plug appears loose on a number of the leads.
Is there any way to tighten this up as a couple of them have popped off the plug creating a bad misfire.
I thought about clamping with pliers but read somewhere that this would damage the insulation.
Any advice.
Leads purchased from http://www.P38spares.co.uk late 2006
regards
Keith Dixon"

and received a response:-
"Hi Keith,
The connections at the plug end or any end for that matter should never need adjusting, unless they have been handled incorrectly when fitted or removed for servicing.
If the boots have been fitted or removed at the incorrect angle, what then happens is the ends of the terminals are 'splayed' out and they are then a loose fit on the plug!
NO, they definately cannot be tightened whilst the plug boot is in situ...we have had many leads returned for that reason where the silicone boot has been torn/puctured, hence a misfire from the insulation being damaged.
If you wish to discuss the way forward with this please call me on the number below, or you will probably have to send the set into us for assessment.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Best regards
Phil de Wit"

A good start i though, a response from the managing director.

So i telephoned him today and the conclusion was.

I should post him the leads, he will inspect them (but has had no problems whatsoever with any leads or the manufacture process)
The damage is probably caused by me fitting them incorrectly.
Once inspected he may be able to repair them (but would not be 100% because it would need the crimps removing and recrimping)

So my thoughts are that i would end up having to pay for a second set.

While they are being checked i would need to buy a second set to use so the car is not off the road.

So much for a 10 year guarantee!!!!

I did speak with Andy at P38 Spares who was very helpful but pointed out the 1st year guarantee was with him, the remainder was with magnecor as i had expected.

When they work i think they are good but resent having to shell out again when they are within the guarantee.

What other options are there for good quality leads?

Has anyone else had problems with Magnecor leads?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Andy, thanks for the help with the above.

I have found the KV85's for £85 but wanted to know if there were other options (not magnecor) just in case they would end up with the same problem 3 years down line.

·
Registered
11 Posts
keithdixon said:
Hi Andy, thanks for the help with the above.

I have found the KV85's for £85 but wanted to know if there were other options (not magnecor) just in case they would end up with the same problem 3 years down line.
Hi,

I do heavy duty 8mm silicone ones which are alot cheaper which should work ok , have a look;

http://www.p38spares.co.uk/commerce/pro ... y_8mm.html

These are for the gems engine, I am not sure what engine you have.

Regards,

Andy

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Just my thoughts on HT leads, though I need to point out that we dont get magnacor leads for the P38 here but do have a range of other aftermarket suppliers like HUCO and Boughicords, the latter whom I spoke to admitted that their leads dont last on the P38, LR apparently here carried out test and came to the conclusion that heat along with the high output coils was a big factor against aftermarket leads, true to form a few months back I matched up a set and tried them, 3 days later I ordered a full set of OEM leads and never looked back including around 12 customers so far.

On 9 year old rangies the leads being replaced were only just failing, not bad for age and k's travelled I thought.
These are my findings here but Im sure suppliers elsewhere in the world sell on good faith from manufactureres
like magnacor who supposidly have a good name, on quite a few other brands of cars aftermarket leads work well.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I put on the 8mm Magnecor's but one failed after about 3 years Keith. I fitted them in the first place as a 'Fit n' Forget' item, but when I had them scoped, the lead showed it was not delivering a clean spark, the waveform being messy.

Since then, I buy a set of LR Genuine leads every 2 years, as a service item. That's what AllyV8 suggested at the time as well.

Again, it is yet another item which promises much but delivers little. The Genuine stuff is pretty good TBH.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
I've had Magnecor's fitted for several years, and put them on many other rovers with no issues (yet).

unfortunately many manufacturers warranties don't cover mis-handling, but I understand their point of view.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I can see that putting on the leads perfectly is a bit of an iffy situation but one would think that the springiness of the contact should accomodate a bit of wiggle on install. If the mfg. co. buys a poor quality metal but does not continually test it they would not know how many vibration cycles the metal could take before it fatigues and puts us out of luck. I have an aftermarket brand on ours since before we got it and no known issues yet [can't remember the name but good info when googled] I liked the advert for lumention wires [from uk and I think 70 pounds or so] so I will try to get info from them before I buy. And I do remember one mfg saying that they only use brand X boots just for the reason you mention. You are now the 3rd person I've read that had some type of issue with the magnacore so now I'm sceptical about them. I had an issue with Taylor wires on my van-ie. lots of leaking but it ended up being the corroded engine computer which now seems to be acting up again. When computer was changed arcing was gone because fuel injectors were pulsing properly according to garage. That guarantee is pathetic given the advertising. You would think they would just send a new set but maybe there would be far to many returns. At least you found the issue and hopefully no misfires or damage to the motor.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,387 Posts
I have Magenecors on my P38A - they've been on for about 6 years.

I had one burn at the coil pack end - it burnt the post right off the pack. For a a GEMS motor, that meant a complete new coil pack. I don't know if the lead hadn't been fitted correctly or not.

The local Magnecor agent replaced the lead free of charge.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The standard OEMs are quite sufficient...if you use a smear of dialectric grease all around the inside of the boot before you press it on the spark plug. Improves sealing against moisture etc, makes it easier to slide the boot on, and significantly reduces HV tracking...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just put a set of Magnecor KV85 on and i have to say that 'clicked on' very well. Much better than the blue ever did.
They have a very positive connection and have re-designed spark plug ends. (Straight as opposed to cranked)

I'll send the blue's back to magnecor and see what that say.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts