Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader first time poster reporting in. I have just purchased my 3rd Range Rover a '98 4.6HSE. I found it on eBay in California with just 68,000mi so I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped to Indiana. It is not quite as nice as the seller advertised, but with the help of this forum and some time tinkering in the garage she will be ready to go.
My first Rover was an '89 classic that I had in high school. Several years after that I bought a '98 4.0SE and had it for about a year then traded it for a BMW sedan because I was doing a lot of driving and didn't need the space of an SUV and wanted better fuel economy.
I just bought this 4.6HSE because now I do need an SUV on occasion.
The first thing I noticed when the truck was being unloaded from the transporter was a loud exhaust leak. The neck of the center muffler was rusted through. I did a bit of reading on this forum and found that most people were eliminating the rear resonator. I found a good deal on a new Magnaflow Catback system online so I ordered it. It is a well constructed stainless system with the muffler under the drivers seat and a single tip out the right rear of the truck.
The old exhaust system was easy to remove. When I got the center muffler off I shook it around and could hear a lot of rust in there.
The new exhaust mounted up easily and used the factory hangars. It did not come with bolts and the old ones broke when I removed them, so a quick trip to get some stainless bolts was the only delay on the install.
My initial impressions after 2 days and about 100 miles of driving:
Idle from outside the vehicle sounds perfect. Not obnoxiously loud but has a nice smooth deep tone.
Idle from inside the vehicle is slightly louder than stock but sounds great.
Sound under Acceleration while in 1st and 2nd gear is a bit more aggressive than I wanted but once in 3rd and 4th gear sounds good.
Cruising around town at a steady throttle while under 40mph the system sounds good. It is louder than stock but not much.
At cruising speeds between 40mph and 60mph there is an unbearable drone in the exhaust. It is not extremely loud but the low pitch drone is very irritating. I occasionally will have customers in my vehicle and this will not be acceptable.
At speeds above 60mph the drone begins to go away.
Above 70mph on the interstate the road, tire and wind noise overpowers the exhaust and there is no noticeable noise difference inside the truck compared to stock exhaust.
I will be contacting Magnaflow to see what they recommend about the low pitch drone at cruise speeds between 40 and 60.
I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of upgrading their exhaust system.
Once I run a tank of gas through the truck I will report on fuel economy changes if any. The truck is also equipped with a drop in K&N filter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update on the Magnaflow cat back system. After driving with the new exhaust for 2,000 miles I finally contacted Magnaflow to see what could be done to quiet down the exhaust a bit. Anytime between 1800 and 2200 RPM the drone was miserable. They recommended installing an additional small muffler back where the original resonator was.
I bought a 6" long by 6" round muffler from them. (magnaflow part #14158 - polished race series)
This has quieted the exhaust nicely and I now have no complaints. The truck still has a nice strong sounding idle, sounds very healthy when accelerating and no longer has that horrible drone at steady throttle.
It is still all stainless steel from the cat back and the new muffler was a straight through, meaning you could see right through the thing before it was installed.
If I were to do this all over again I would consider adding Magnaflow part#14156 which is a 6" long 4" round muffler, instead of the 6" round. I am sure it would quiet the cat back system enough to sound good without being anywhere near obnoxious. The 4" round would have made the install a bit easier.
I ended up paying a shop $90 to add the little muffler because they had to do some cutting and welding. I made sure they used stainless rod when they were welding.
I will get some pics up soon.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I just came from a place, and I did the magnaflow as well. I'm very pleased with throttle response and have no complaints at this time. flowmaster would have been too loud; i think i made the right choice. The truck feels like a new truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts