RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Situation:
1700 mile trip from Nashville TN USA to Emerald Isle NC USA with the Rover loaded to the gills and entire family in the vehicle. We made it 102.2 miles while on the interstate oil light came on engine is running but very roughly. No smoke, sounds like the engine is not getting any oil. Called Land Rover Roadside assistance. Tow truck in on the way. Land Rover Knoxville TN USA is sending a vehicle to pick us up. This should be fun.

charliet

·
Registered
701 Posts
OUCH! I'll bet there was some permanent damage to your engine. :( HOPE NOT THOUGH :pray:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FINALLY got a tow (about 110 miles) to Knoxville. Maggie is at the dealer. The service manager was awesome. He took us to the rental car place and then stayed after closing to make sure we got our stuff out. They actually came and picked us up so the family did not have to ride in the tow truck.
My wife was trying to explain to the kids what happened to Maggie. She told them that Maggie had a clogged artery and need open heart surgery. She explained that the oil was the blood and her engine was her heart. I thought it made sense. Lets just hope she needs a stint! We are on the way to the beach...via a POS Kia optima. Man i miss Maggie.

charliet

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Maybe you should stop calling her Maggine, and start calling her Murphy. And while the dealer is lubing her up, ask them to save some for your gasket too...cause you're gonna need it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear you! They are going to diagnose first. If i dont like it, which i probably wont. I will get her towed to the house. I wanted to get the engine rebuilt anyway. Yea, it sucks but what you gonna do a hundred miles from home. Screw it! Its just money.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same boat...after i get an estimate. Here is what i am thinking. Bad juju from the dealer on an estimate. Tow her home, take the engine out, do what i do, put back in, turn the key, drive off. OR: pay the bill and drive home. We will see. While at the dealer, guess what the wife wants...a 2010 Sport. That aint happening.

Off to the beach to have a beer and watch the kids play in the sand.

charliet

·
Registered
86 Posts
This sounds familar...Sometime last year, I had the same thing happen to my rig on the way back from work...Except, engine light came on along with the engine running rough...Limped it home and as I pulled into garage, oil light cam on...After doing a little investigating, found that I had broken the passenger side rocker assembly shaft...This ment that one of the rockers came loose and popped the lifter right out, leaving it sitting in the top of the valley(reason for motor missing, valve not activating)...Well, that dropped my oil pressure real quick, hence, the oil light coming on...This was a easy fix for me and parts were under 200 bucks(new shaft, $50, and gasket kit $135)...If I would of taken to shop, labor would of killed me, as top half of motor needed to be removed to replace lifter/pushrod...After all was said and done, rig ran like new again...I hope your ordeal is as simple as mine...It's better than a spun bearing or cracked block... :( ...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Made it to the beach!

Ok, what are your thoughts on the possible problems? Here is what i know:
Noticed oil light flickering intermittently.
Oil light on.
Pulled over sounded like a wounded duck.
Drove to a safe area (i initially pulled over in a not so desirable area in the sticks of TN ((i am from TN so i can say that))
Engine cooled down.
Started he up sounded like crap.
Tow truck inbound.

What you think? OIL if FULL and clean, no new leaks, was getting a ticking sound from engine. I tried to locate the sound but i think it was the entire engine.

thanks in advance

charliet

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Land Rover Knoxville just called...clogged oil pickup screen & dead battery. Got her off in time to avoid damage. Total including to of 120 miles $750.00. Considering I am away from home and with the family i did not think to was so bad. Yea i could do it at home but the tow back home would be $250.00 plus to $200.00 from the gas station in the boonies to the dealer. This has been my first experience with Land Rover Knoxville and they have been great! Mechanic said she would need a head gasket replacement this winter but not to fret and rush to do it. It has been on my list of to-do's. I will keep you informed.

charliet

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I'd say they sound a little optimistic. Do brace yourself as oil starvation can do more damage than you think and the $700 may increase.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
I hate to agree and bring a cloud overhead, but if it's makin noise from oil starvation, it's doing damage somewhere.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Maggie is HOME from the Hospital

I picked her up from LR Knoxville. The wife and I cleaned out the Kia Optima rental. Loaded the kids and stuff and took off. She drove much better than before. My wife said she had more acceleration getting on the interstate. Loaded down with kids and crap (Thule rack, bicycle and oversized spare on the rack along with all the junk in the trunk) she managed over 13 mpg averaging 57 mph for about 200 miles.
From the dealer: "Found oil pick up tube clogged removed oil pan and pick up tube cleared pick up replaced oil and filer test OK now signs of leakage from cyl head gaskets" Tech also said the oil was clean with no metal in the sump. I was lucky to get her stopped and off when I did. Any more driving could have caused engine damage. Would running Sea Foam or anything else like that have dislodged something in the engine and caused this? Or is this just a over time thing?
Service tech said she has around 6K miles before head gasket "failure." So I'm off to research head gasket replacement.
Have a few questions:
LR Gasket Set or aftermarket Composite Set?
Does any one make a complete set of silicone hoses for the P38?
While in there what else would you get into?

One more thing, the dealer changed the oil and replaced the filter with a LR filter. That filter is much longer than the Mobile 1 filter i have been using. Which filters are you guys running in your rigs?

Regards,

charliet

·
Registered
640 Posts
Just as a Point of Interest What did they Clear from the Pick up Pipe and what did he base his Assesment On that the Head Gaskets had around another 6k miles before they Fail or Need Replaceing.

Cheers

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess it was the Tech's experience as there were "signs" of leakage. I will be investigating tomorrow. I dont know the "sings" of leakage so any suggestions would be appreciated. I dont have any coolant loss or leaks. The Rangie IS running much better and sounds great. Before the hospital visit, the engine had a little of a ticking sound that had seemingly worse. The blockage, once again according to the Tech, was "oil gunk".

Regards,

charliet

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
When I resealed my sump on my 96 "White Peril" there was alot of nasty stuff on the oil pickup including some of the old sealant.. After it was cleaned of gunk the engine definately made less lifter noise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts