RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a cheapy one first ($60 bucks) knowing that was wrong. It ran worse with that than it did with the old no name one thats on it currently. Im a BMW fanatic and its the same for those, Bosch only. So I searched what brand is oem for these and came up with bosch. I orded a Bosch one and it came, but its wrong. Mine is a 3 wire. Bosch seems to be 5 or 6 wires. What am I missing? Thanks in advance peeps!

20190120_165104.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
What year is yours? I’d imagine there is likely a difference between Bosch (Thor) injection and the earlier GEMs engine management. Check to see that you’re ordering the correct part.

·
Super Moderator
2,332 Posts
GEMS uses a 3 wire MAF, post 99 Thor uses a Bosche 5 wire as it includes the intake air temperature sensor. If you need a GEMS 3 wire one you shouldn't be looking at Bosch, you need a Sagem Lucas.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
I got a cheapy one first ($60 bucks) knowing that was wrong. It ran worse with that than it did with the old no name one thats on it currently. Im a BMW fanatic and its the same for those, Bosch only. So I searched what brand is oem for these and came up with bosch. I orded a Bosch one and it came, but its wrong. Mine is a 3 wire. Bosch seems to be 5 or 6 wires. What am I missing? Thanks in advance peeps!
Peeps? :roll: That is so pants. :lol:

Trying to decipher you claiming to have an L322 06-09 in your basic profile and posting in the P38 section now your signature says 98 P38 4.6... that is not a Bosch. the change from GEMS...General Engine Management System to Bosch happened mid year 1999 after BMW purchased Land Rover.

So what part number did you actually order? Was it ERR5595 or MHK100800

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If my profile say anything other than 98 p38 4.6 hse, its wrong. I clearly stated what I have, even has a picture for those of you who cant read so good...So far, Site admin is ZERO help other than yelling at me for stupid ****. I never claimed to have an L322 06-09 whatever that is. I dont know what GEMS is. Figure this...I JUST BOUGHT THE THING AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT!!! Holy ****!! Thanks to Richard for actually answering my question.

·
Registered
419 Posts
GEMS...General Engine Management System is the intake system on 1998 and before. I have a 97 with GEMS and although it is easier to work on the Gems, the Bosch system gives a bit more power I hear.
As for the maf they changed in 99 to a 5 pin. I clean my maf with this regularly. It is the Cleaning other connectors helps a lot.
image_481831.jpg Good luck finding the 3 pin MAF as stated.

·
Super Moderator
2,332 Posts
happened mid year 1999 after BMW purchased Land Rover.
Actually, BMW purchased Land Rover in 1994 and the change was due to OBD2 compliance becoming mandatory in Europe in 2000. Although the GEMS engine management system was sufficiently OBD compliant to satisfy the NAS legislators from 1996 when it became compulsory in the US, it was not fully compliant so did not meet the European requirements. The Bosch Motronic system had been around for a number of years, and was used on numerous other vehicles so it was easier to swap to a different engine management system than upgrade the Sagem Lucas GEMS system.

To the OP, the correct MAF sensor you need is ERR5595, forget Bosch, a 98 has no Bosch components at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts