RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i am fairly new to the forum and right from the start i got a question.

So my car starts than goes to 2000rpm drops down to 1000rpm and than low and cuts out, i unplugged the MAF and it does not do it anymore, it keeps the rpm at 1100rpm when cold and lower when warm.

So i took the MAF and checked if i got resistance trough the pins and i do.

The check engine light is not on and i checked all the fuses.

Just before i order an MAF can some one tell me if that would be the symptoms of an shot MAF as i read in this Forum that if it is alright and i unplug it the engine should cut out and now i am a little confused as the engine runs better without the MAF.

Is there a way to check if the MAF is working right?

The Range Rover got LPG and i read that some LPG systems cause backfire and brake the MAF, but as i am getting resistance through the pins i am not sure if the MAF ist dead or not.

Any advice highly appreciated

Thanks and greetings from Germany

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to keep you guys updated, i reconnected the MAF and i noticed that it is starting better with the MAF connected, the problem felt like the Engine is not getting enough fuel, so i changed the fuel filter and pulled the OBD codes, it had a few codes in it, two for the MAF, two for the Oxygen sensors and two for the coolant temperature sensor.

I deleted all the codes and fixed the plug from the temperature sensor as it was broken, i reset the idle of the car once the engine got warm and it seems to be running better now, definitely no starting problems anymore just when it is cold it drops the RPM and cuts out but only for a short period of time and than it runs.

Next up i will check the fuel pressure and check the fuel pump filter in the fuel tank, than new spark plugs for the use with LPG and new spark plug wires.

I have checked for codes with the OBD scanner a couple of times and so far i got nothing which is quite good.

soon more.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Just to keep you guys updated, i reconnected the MAF and i noticed that it is starting better with the MAF connected, the problem felt like the Engine is not getting enough fuel, so i changed the fuel filter and pulled the OBD codes, it had a few codes in it, two for the MAF, two for the Oxygen sensors and two for the coolant temperature sensor.

I deleted all the codes and fixed the plug from the temperature sensor as it was broken, i reset the idle of the car once the engine got warm and it seems to be running better now, definitely no starting problems anymore just when it is cold it drops the RPM and cuts out but only for a short period of time and than it runs.

Next up i will check the fuel pressure and check the fuel pump filter in the fuel tank, than new spark plugs for the use with LPG and new spark plug wires.

I have checked for codes with the OBD scanner a couple of times and so far i got nothing which is quite good.

soon more.
clean your MAF with carberator cleaner as dust and dirt build up across the sensor can cause erratic revs and make your vehicle run rough.
It worked wonders for me but I also have to replace 2 of my O2 sensors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, i forgot to mention that i cleaned it before i reconnected the MAF, basically it is running pretty good at the moment, so far no codes showing when checking with the OBD, the only problem the car got is that it drops the idle and cuts out the first 2 min after that it runs normal.

Fuel consumption seems to have gone down and it did not have any starting problems so far.

I will also swap in a other MAF in a few days to see if it changes the starting idle behavior, i will also fit the original Air Filter box as it has the smaller one from the 99 model.

I keep you guys updated

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i connected a other MAF and now i got starting problems again and a code for the MAF is showing so tomorrow i will swap in the old one and see how it runs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So finally I can get back to you Guys, I fixed the Problem with a new Ignition coil, spark plugs, new spark plug wires and new gaskets for the plenum housing and the intake manifold, she runs like a dream now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts