RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MAF cleaning using gasoline? (after reading the MSDS for CRC MAF cleaner)

I live in a remote place and there's no MAF cleaner available here (and because of hazmat regulations, it can't be shipped by air).

I looked up the MSDS for CRC MAF cleaner and found it's just.... gasoline, with some carbon dioxide as propellant.

What do you think of cleaning the MAF using gasoline? How would you physically accomplish the task? Are there some additives in gasoline that I'm overlooking and that might leave a deposit on the MAF?

If I were in a regular, populated area, I would just go down to the store and buy the CRC stuff and not worry about it, but for me that's not an option.

http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/5110.pdf

Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated 64742-49-0
light
80 - 90 %

Carbon dioxide 124-38-9
5 - 10 %

2,2,4-Trimethylpentane 540-84-1
3 - 5%

n-Hexane 110-54-3
3 - 5 %

Methanol 67-56-1
< 1 %

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Re: MAF cleaning using gasoline? (after reading the MSDS for CRC MAF cleaner)

If it's a Bosch engine, you probably won't gain anything from cleaning the MAF. They don't seem to respond to the effort required unlike the earlier model

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the advice, but it's a GEMS. I have one Bosch P38 and one GEMS P38, and this one is the GEMS.

I was able to find some electrical contacts cleaner, so will try that tomorrow. I'm still pretty convinced MAF cleaner is just gasoline, but the hard part is getting gasoline in a form where I can spray it on something and won't set off a firebomb. Easier to just use the electrical contacts cleaner, which is obtainable around here.

Thanks again for the tip though. I didn't know that and will keep it mind for my Bosch truck.

·
Banned
135 Posts

I think you answered your own question with your analyses of the ingredients. A couple of years ago when I had a need to clean my MAF, I viewed a Youtube video on the subject. The guy's direction was to spray the MAF liberally--drench it. The problem was that on the Bosch, the wires were exposed on the wire grid side of the housing. Moreover, the removal of the sensor from the housing required a special tool. I used a very small flat head screwdriver and got the sensor out and cleaned the wires and the metal grid on the housing. Had I had the benefit of your post, I would have simply swished it all in a bucket of gasoline, let it dry, and reinstalled it. I know that the GEMS version is not only physically different, but also performs its function in a different way. That difference is very well spelled out in RAVE. In fact the GEMS has only one wire versus the Bosch's two wires. But in either case the object is to degrease it,. I would say, "Just do it".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Good post, WARover. I ended up drenching it (GEMS) with electrical contacts cleaner (that is supposedly plastic-safe), to excellent results. More power, and fuel trims now around 0, instead of strongly negative.

MSDS sheets are of great use in a place where the original formulations of things are often not available.

·
Registered
690 Posts

The GEMS one is rivetted shut. I drilled out the rivets in my dead one and found a little PCB potted in jelly-like gunk and four small torx screws that I could remove to withdraw the whole sensor from the MAF body.

Yesterday I gave mine a good hosing with brake cleaner and it seems to have made it a little less flat between 2000 and 3000rpm. It could now just about pull the skin off a rice pudding if it hasn't been sitting for too long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts