Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made the switch, got the dream car, 20 miles off the lot a situation - Honest Dealer?

Hi Guys,

Long time reader, first time poster as evident by my post count to the left. Anyway, I won't waste your time asking to diagnosis my problem, I've searched enough to believe I have an idea. The short of the situation is this, I bought a 2008 RRS S/C yesterday, I was thrilled. Literally 20 miles off the lot I received a 'reduced engine performance' message. It wouldn't go above 3000RPM, no acceleration, sport mode 'fixed' it. I understand it could be the coolant pump or the sensor so that's not my question (however if there's any other insight i'd love it). My main question is, what should I do with the dealership that in my eyes just swindled me.

I called them obviously upset. They sold me a car and literally 20 miles later an issue. I bought the car under the assumption it was in good health (as they mentioned). The car is obviously not in good health. They were very understanding, sent a loaner, took the RRS back to check it out but that again isn't a solution. In my eyes the value of the car wasn't appropriate because it wasn't a well running car. They have a personal check for the balance (as mentioned i traded in my ever running Tahoe). Should I can cancel the check? I feel like I have every right to because they sold me something I didn't want but I also feel that's a quick way to escalate the situation. More importantly and this is where I need your help, what are the long term impacts on the car if the coolant pump needs to be replaced? Is this a chronic problem that I'll have again in 6, 12, 24 months? What if they simply say it was the sensor so appease me short term knowing longer term i'll be back, should I demand something else?

Right now I think it'd be only fair if they give me an extended warranty to ease my concerns. I did not buy the extended warranty because I assumed it was a working car. It was not. Should I simply demand my money back as one issue is indicative of future issues? What are your thoughts? A little about the dealership, they're a reputable Jaguar Land Rover dealership, so it's not some random one-off so i'm expecting them to do the right thing rather than screw me but it's clear they didn't fully vet the car. I should mention there is 1-month / 1,000 mile warranty (i'm worried they're going to provide a fix that they know will last 1-month) and i'll only be back there in 3 months.

Thanks in advance, obviously a stressful situation as every friend and family member said they run poorly and i'll always be in the shop. I feel like Ralphy on Christmas Story and I just shot my eye out.

TarHeelMe

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Re: Made the switch, got the dream car, 20 miles off the lot a situation - Honest Dea

Welcome. Why don't you give them a chance to fix it first?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Made the switch, got the dream car, 20 miles off the lot a situation - Honest Dea

cars can fail at any point, 20 miles, 200, 2000 miles off the lot. you have a warranty albeit short but more importantly you declined an extended warranty which was probably not the wisest decision with a 6yr old range rover.

·
Banned
531 Posts

Right now I think it'd be only fair if they give me an extended warranty to ease my concerns. I did not buy the extended warranty because I assumed it was a working car. It was not. Should I simply demand my money back as one issue is indicative of future issues? What are your thoughts? A little about the dealership, they're a reputable Jaguar Land Rover dealership, so it's not some random one-off so i'm expecting them to do the right thing rather than screw me but it's clear they didn't fully vet the car. I should mention there is 1-month / 1,000 mile warranty (i'm worried they're going to provide a fix that they know will last 1-month) and i'll only be back there in 3 months.
i doubt you're getting them to buy back the car over a minor issue like this and the dealership is not in the business of giving away extended warranties. it's an authorized LR dealer they will repair the car they do not want LRUSA backlash and they're not going to ruin their reputation over a 2008 RRS with a CEL. what type of PPI or research did you do on the vehicle before purchasing it? secondly what did they diagnose as the problem?

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts

We call that a proper welcome into the LR family.

But seriously though, if it's a JLR dealer, they'll do the right thing and fix it. It's an easy fix and a common issue, I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

We call that a proper welcome into the LR family.
That's a good point. They're probably just testing you. If you go completely crazy because of a warning light or 5 popping up, they will send you over to their Toyota dealership and take the RRS back. I sense from your post you are about to snap. Show them you have what it takes. :grin:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hey guys, thanks for the quick feedback. I of course am going to give them a chance to fix it but I wanted to hear what your thoughts were about how they represented the car at the point of sale before they called me and let me know my options. Of course I understand cars can fail anytime, 20, 200, 2000 miles later but for it to happen literally 20 miles after you leave starts off the relationship with a bad taste in your mouth. Not to mention, you don't really care about that happening until it happens to you, right? As the consumer, the dealer should stand behind there cars they sell and let's see, hopefully they do. I did feel good about buying from a LR dealer because at the end of the day, they're not a fly by night organization. I was more interested in things to come post the fix, if it's a longer term issue or the precursor to bigger issues. If I should ask them to do something specific now vs. after my one month. How I could correctly speak with them when they come back to me.

Tgibrit - I did research on the extended warranty and the majority of articles stated that those extended warranties are high margin after sale products that aren't worth the value for a 6 yr old car unless there's a catastrophic situation shortly after you buy it. The dealerships have it down to a science, it's a losing bet unless you have a really bad car - maybe I do. Maybe for me it would have been perfect. But, after 20 miles off the lot you don't think they'd offer that to me? Even at a discount? If not, that would seem like a red flag...

I'll keep you guys posted.

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts

Tgibrit - I did research on the extended warranty and the majority of articles stated that those extended warranties are high margin after sale products that aren't worth the value for a 6 yr old car unless there's a catastrophic situation shortly after you buy it. The dealerships have it down to a science said:
i would agree with you in general and typically decline extended warranties. but i am starting to rethink this with the increase in very expensive electronic systems the cost of a single failure can easily cover the cost of the warranty; i am more concerned with electrical than mechanical generally. i made the extended warranty part of the purchase price for mine when you have the most leverage (of course it raised the price but got an ok deal in the end) as range rover do not enjoy the best reputation for mechanical or electrical systems reliability.

it sounds like the dealership did react well to the situation so i would push for a discounted warranty.

good luck with getting her fixed, when i bought the rrs i knew the risks but **** i love driving it!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Normally I pull out the Rocky Balboa motivational speech in times like these, but I feel this may be more appropriate. Just substitute "RRS ownership" for "basketball"

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts

Generally speaking, you have absolutely no right to cancel that check unless you can show that they concealed something from you AND that you couldnt have discovered it with a reasonable inspection. It doesnt sound like this happened unless they wiped the error codes from the car's computer before selling it to you.

Youre documenting the issue right now. If it's recurring or is not fixed properly then you have an argument that they must continue to warranty this issue (and anything created by it) past the 1 month warranty.

That being said, I think youre in an excellent position to negotiate an extended warranty but do not expect to get it below their cost. Best of luck

Fyi sensors fail all the time, randomly. One failing in a 6 year old car that may have sat for a while is not indicative of a "bad car"

·
Banned
531 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the quick feedback. I of course am going to give them a chance to fix it but I wanted to hear what your thoughts were about how they represented the car at the point of sale before they called me and let me know my options.
i think you're overreacting here but to answer your question we have no idea how it was represented and cannot comment on it because we only see your side of the story. you never posted the original link to the advertisement and i am not sure what that would even do... what we think or feel about the dealer's representation of a vehicle has no bearing on what will be done to resolve your problem. you may have missed it but i asked before... did you have a proper ppi performed and research that particular vehicle?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Gosseyloosey - the Tar Heel motivation helped, thanks.

Nico3687 - thanks for the advice about the legacy issue and how even after one month I would have a valid claim for continued service to that specific problem. I had not thought of it but it makes sense, hopefully that doesn't happen!

Iconoclast - I, of course, respectfully disagree. While I understand things breakdown I bet anyone who drives off a dealer lot and doesn't even make it home would be pretty upset. Regarding the vetting I did prior, well, I looked at the CarFax, so that's something. Plus, they provided the pre-certified check and gave it a clean bill of health. I didn't think to take it to another dealer because who knows RRS better than the actual dealership.

Update for all - the dealership fixed the coolant pump, said that was the main culprit. When I asked about restoring my faith and extending the warranty there response was we'll do whatever it takes to make things right - which is great. But first, they're going to recheck the whole car. From there, they said they'll call me back about extending an additional warranty. And if they don't, they'll find a car for me that meets my expectations. Net, that's a satisfactory answer and what I believe is fair. If they re-check the whole car again, and find it doesn't have any issues then why not give me a little longer of a warranty for the hassle and to stick by their brand. If they find more issues and don't have the faith to offer an extended warranty then I believe there's a case that this was sold under false pretenses (i.e., how do they find issues now vs. yesterday when checking the car). At that point if they don't have faith in it why should I?

Will keep you all updated, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Where in NC are you located? Which LR dealer are you dealing with? I know there's a few of us on this site from NC and could give you a better idea on the dealers customer service.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

If they re-check the whole car again, and find it doesn't have any issues then why not give me a little longer of a warranty for the hassle and to stick by their brand.
That's not really how it works.

The factory warranty(which expired 4 years from initial sale date) is backed by LR North America. The dealership is nothing more then a franchise, and does not provide the warranty. They may offer you an extended warranty, but this would be backed by a third party, not the dealership or the manufacturer. The standard 30 day warranty that comes with purchase, legally doesn't cover that much, each state is different when it comes to this. Good to hear they are standing behind the product they sold you.

'Their brand' is really whatever the franchise is, not the manufacturer. That said, if they offer you an extended warranty at no, or reduced cost, I would suggest taking them up on it, as these vehicles will need repairs, and a good extended warranty will usually pay for itself.

The coolant pump issue is a common one, but also one that there is not really a check for when it comes to inspecting the vehicle for sale. If they had cleared the fault and sold you the truck that is one thing, but if it just so happened to trip the fault as soon as you bought it, they would have had no idea on it being ready to fail. I know this sounds like it would be too much of a coincidence, but I can assure you it happens. I was on a test drive once with a customer that had purchased a vehicle earlier that same day, just to show them some of the features of their new (used) vehicle, when a ignition coil died. No warning, no previous issues, it just went.

These are however very reliable vehicles, and when properly maintained generally not that bad as far as them being in the shop. When something does go wrong however, they can be expensive to repair. If you like the truck, and they offer the extended warranty, even if you have to come out of pocket a little, it is probably a good investment. Get it, and enjoy the new vehicle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Johnny06Rover - I'm in the Raleigh / Durham area - any suggestions would be great as it sounds like my service days are just beginning!

RoverGuy7 - Thanks for the advice. I knew i'd be in the shop, I knew it wasn't a Tahoe and I accept that; I've been waiting for one of these for so long. The abruptness and uncertainty around what the dealer was going to do is what caused anxiety. I have no doubt they're great trucks with proper maintenance - on that note any tips outside the usual frequent oil change? I'll have to do my homework here.

UPDATE FOR ALL - Spoke to the dealer many times today and iterated essentially what I have here - disappointment in not making it home after buying the car and the now lack of confidence I had in the wellness of the overall system (correct or not that's honestly how I felt). Their response, and they've been great the whole time, was the right one and what I expected. Of course they will fix it all. And, as I hoped, and as I asked for, they're providing a free 12-month warranty. That works with me, anything after 12-months wasn't there today and should be my responsibility. I can now drive confidently and start to enjoy the truck. It made it home today!

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

-TarHeelME

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover Sport Red Limitied Edition
40 Posts

Great outcome, I was just going to post that they should fix the problem and give you a discounted one year warranty.
Free is even better.
I am lucky with my 2013, I have the 4 year plus 3 year extra aftermarket warranty.
I should be good on this Rig.
I did the same on my 2007 chopper I bought in 2009 and they are rebuilding my engine as we speak. Lucky me.
Trev

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
36 Posts

It sounds like a generous dealer. enjoy your new vehicle.

I had a somewhat similar situation happen with my last car an E class MB, just a day after i purchased it from a dealer 3 hours away, driving home the whole cluster lit up red and said stop immediately! i did and the car was spewing coolant. pretty dramatic. so of course i was devastated that my new car was doomed.... well, it got towed to the dealer and turned out to be a $5 clip on a coolant hose that failed, drove the car for 3 more years without a hiccup. loved that car. hope this colors your experience a little.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Drive the crap out of it, beat it up, make sure you get the sway bar bushings replaced, and the coolant hoses checked. There is a plastic housing for the coolant thermostat that always cracks, if you get larger rims the differentials usually go, so make sure you do all of that and get it covered under warranty. PLEASE make sure your warranty is in writing. Congrats best of luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.