Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help Please, i have fitted a 2nd hand autobox to my 99 4.0 litre p38 ,(autobox sold to me all good with no problems) it had a new filter and fluid the same time, the problem i have is that the box doesnt change up as soon as i think it should,when you come to an incline or put it under any load (giving it a bit of gas ) it kicks down and revs hard, i have changed the xy switch with no change,any ideas ?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,229 Posts
What was the reason for swapping the autobox?

The only thing I can think of at the moment, is that the gearbox ECU has adaptive values to adjust the pressures and shift delays etc - to allow for wear in the components in the box, and also (I think) to 'adapt' a bit to driving style (if you're a lead foot or a nana). If your old box was swapped because it failed, then it could be possible the ECU has adjusted shift patterns etc to allow for it as much as possible - but because the new box is in better condition, it's now causing somewhat erratic behavior.

I'm not an expert in any sense on the gearboxes - so someone else might have better/proper advice - but that was the first thing that came to my mind.

It almost sounds as if it's stuck in 'sport' mode - as this changes the shift patterns to hold the revs for longer before changing - however, this is done in the ECU rather than the box itself, and you would have the SPORT notification on the message centre, and a 'S' beside the gear indicator on the message centre. (and the sport button lit)

Sorry if this doesn't help, but hopefully someone can be of more use!

Cheers,
Marty

1 - 2 of 2 Posts