RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a small leak coming from my oil pan so I decided to replace the gasket. I pulled the oil pan cover off and to my surprise found some plastic parts in the bottom. What the heck are they? Truck runs 100% fine.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
321 Posts
Hopefully not a factory assembly line worker's idea at comedy...from first glance it appears to be old gasket material...throw your Rover's year & model into your signature so helping is easier...could it be your pan has been removed by a previous owner (if you bought used)? If so, the debris is likely from a careless reassembly.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully not a factory assembly line worker's idea at comedy...from first glance it appears to be old gasket material...throw your Rover's year & model into your signature so helping is easier...could it be your pan has been removed by a previous owner (if you bought used)? If so, the debris is likely from a careless reassembly.
No these are plastic pieces. At first glance to me they look like they might be part of the guide the timing chain slides on?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,920 Posts
Hi what year and how many miles are on your truck it does look like guide rails and you may be taking the front of the engine apart for repairs

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi what year and how many miles are on your truck it does look like guide rails and you may be taking the front of the engine apart for repairs
It's an 04 and 118k miles i figured the M62 would have been the clue in the title. I don't know that I want to fix it. I might just drive it until it breaks. It's sad but these rovers aren't worth much anymore. So I don't know that I want to invest a bunch of time and money into it. Just depends on what these parts are and if it can survive the way it is. The truck runs 100% fine I wouldn't have even known if it weren't for the oil leak.

·
Registered
256 Posts
100% Main timing chain guide Yeah it will run but it wont be long before you ingest those parts into the oil filter and or they get blown back up and get chewed up more and end up gumming up the VANOS. 118K I would fix it they are still good trucks. I lost my motor on my 03 at 189K I am sinking $15K into a new motor and transmission. in my opinion worth every penny.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
100% Main timing chain guide Yeah it will run but it wont be long before you ingest those parts into the oil filter and or they get blown back up and get chewed up more and end up gumming up the VANOS. 118K I would fix it they are still good trucks. I lost my motor on my 03 at 189K I am sinking $15K into a new motor and transmission. in my opinion worth every penny.
Yikes I don't know about that one... You could buy another one with 1/2 the miles for 15k or for a little more be into a 2007-2008 :whoknows:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes I don't know about that one... You could buy another one with 1/2 the miles for 15k or for a little more be into a 2007-2008 :whoknows:
Yea that's kinda where I am at just not worth dumping that kind of money into one of these trucks at this point. Don't know if I want to buy a newer rover or I've been thinking of getting a new ford f250 turbo deisel. An 03 around here with 100k miles or so would go for about $10k. My 04 is maybe worth 12k.

100% Main timing chain guide Yeah it will run but it wont be long before you ingest those parts into the oil filter and or they get blown back up and get chewed up more and end up gumming up the VANOS
They wont get sucked up since I removed the pieces before putting the pan back on.
Secondly they are at the bottom, unless I flipped the truck upside down they aren't getting back up into the engine. There is a screen on the oil pickup to prevent pieces from getting sucked up. The oil galley on the RR is fairly deep would have to be to hold 10 quarts of oil.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have the 2012 6.7L turbo diesel F350...sweet trucks...and you can get them for a ton off MSRP all day long...sticker on mine was $63 and I drove away for $51

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Yea that's kinda where I am at just not worth dumping that kind of money into one of these trucks at this point. Don't know if I want to buy a newer rover or I've been thinking of getting a new ford f250 turbo deisel. An 03 around here with 100k miles or so would go for about $10k. My 04 is maybe worth 12k.

They wont get sucked up since I removed the pieces before putting the pan back on.
Secondly they are at the bottom, unless I flipped the truck upside down they aren't getting back up into the engine. There is a screen on the oil pickup to prevent pieces from getting sucked up. The oil galley on the RR is fairly deep would have to be to hold 10 quarts of oil.
My 04 range needed about 10-15k in repairs to make it right, trans issue, needed bushings everywhere, just a huge list of things. I ended up selling it and looking at Ford Raptor and RRSC... I ended up with the supercharged. IMO the difference between the BMW range and a Jag range is just ridiculous... Night and Day, the Jag is soooo much nicer.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the 2012 6.7L turbo diesel F350...sweet trucks...and you can get them for a ton off MSRP all day long...sticker on mine was $63 and I drove away for $51
What the heck do you need a f350 for? A buddy of mine at work has the 2012 F250 fully loaded 800 ft lbs of torque. Sweet truck and nice on the inside too. I think he said he got $13k off msrp. I tow a boat so it would be nice. I've been trying to downsize the number of cars I own 5 currently. The rover is worthless for towing since we put 22 rims and low profile tires on it. I was looking at the depreciation ratio between a couple year old rover and the F250 and its about the same. If you start out with a new rover the rover loses but otherwise they are pretty even.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 04 range needed about 10-15k in repairs to make it right, trans issue, needed bushings everywhere, just a huge list of things. I ended up selling it and looking at Ford Raptor and RRSC... I ended up with the supercharged. IMO the difference between the BMW range and a Jag range is just ridiculous... Night and Day, the Jag is soooo much nicer.
I've owned a SC vehicle before and a SC on a Rover worries me. When they work they work great but can be extremely expensive to repair once something goes wrong.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I've owned a SC vehicle before and a SC on a Rover worries me. When they work they work great but can be extremely expensive to repair once something goes wrong.
It doesn't worry me in the least. The engine is built specifically to deal with boost... De-bored, forged internals, low compression, the blower even has twin intercoolers on it. There is a reason jag/rovers use an eaton m112 blower, their supercharged engines were created around the time ford owned them... The engine itself is very similar to a supercharged mustang... If I had to choose the 4.4 N/A land rover or the 4.2 supercharged land rover in an engine reliability comparison, I'd take the supercharged one, it's a way nicer engine. Now if someone was to add a supercharger to a non supercharged range... That'd be cause for concern but that def isn't the case.

·
Registered
321 Posts
What the heck do you need a f350 for? A buddy of mine at work has the 2012 F250 fully loaded 800 ft lbs of torque. Sweet truck and nice on the inside too. I think he said he got $13k off msrp. I tow a boat so it would be nice. I've been trying to downsize the number of cars I own 5 currently. The rover is worthless for towing since we put 22 rims and low profile tires on it. I was looking at the depreciation ratio between a couple year old rover and the F250 and its about the same. If you start out with a new rover the rover loses but otherwise they are pretty even.
It's an oilfield prerequisite! I do haul thousands of pounds worth of Castrol oil from time to time...so I have the 350 long bed...it's funny there's not much price difference between the 250 and the 350...nor short bed vs. long bed...so I went all the way. I nearly killed my poor Toyota Tundra...so now I have a rig to suit my needs. Yeah, nothing like 400hp w/ 800 torque...and better MPG than my Tundra 5.7L! I'm getting 16.3mpg, w/ lots of short trips and the occasional heavy load...a 1 ton doing better than a 1/2 ton...gotta love diesel...although the fuel cost is higher...trade offs!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's an oilfield prerequisite! I do haul thousands of pounds worth of Castrol oil from time to time...so I have the 350 long bed...it's funny there's not much price difference between the 250 and the 350...nor short bed vs. long bed...so I went all the way. I nearly killed my poor Toyota Tundra...so now I have a rig to suit my needs. Yeah, nothing like 400hp w/ 800 torque...and better MPG than my Tundra 5.7L! I'm getting 16.3mpg, w/ lots of short trips and the occasional heavy load...a 1 ton doing better than a 1/2 ton...gotta love diesel...although the fuel cost is higher...trade offs!
Funny that you mention the Tundra because that was also in the running we had a Tacoma before we bought the Rover and loved it. Purchased for $17k in 98 brand new sold in 06 for $11.5k. I dont think any car I have ever owned has faired that well depreciation wise. But looking at the Tundra I didn't see the same thing. Also comparing it against the F250 I think it loses big time in just about every category. How do you pass up 800 ft lbs of torque that nuts!

And Castrol synthetic oil is the only oil I use probably not the same stuff you work with. Care to send me a few thousand pounds? haha :D

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It doesn't worry me in the least. The engine is built specifically to deal with boost...
My concern is the blower and sensors. When things go wrong on a FI engine they can be detrimental to the engine. Having everything work perfectly is imperitive with FI, go lean and you will melt forged pistons pretty easily. I'm not dissing the SC I love them just would scare me on a rover :)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
My concern is the blower and sensors. When things go wrong on a FI engine they can be detrimental to the engine. Having everything work perfectly is imperitive with FI, go lean and you will melt forged pistons pretty easily. I'm not dissing the SC I love them just would scare me on a rover :)
Oh right.. haha... Well lets hope it throws a code or something before going WOT on a lean condition... This is why I always run wideband in my supercharged cars, well except this one of course :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
image.jpg

Today was 550 gals...stainless offshore tote...sorry nsx, it wasn't your engine oil...perhaps on the next load!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts