RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to Idaho, and Idaho has no smog or inspection laws. Which to me is huge and the most amazing thing ever. I am not quite sure what I plan to do yet, but other BMW's that use this exact same power plant have a wide variety of aftermarket header options, coming in shorty and longtube variants. In theory, could an application for BMW cross over to the L322 with the m62 BMW motor? There are several different variant, but this is just a general idea I found on eBay.

Let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
ALthough things like headers may be universal across all M62 engines I would expect there to be a wide variety of Y pipe/cross over variations specific to fitment. I would pay very close attention to items around the exhaust manifold and double check the specs of whatever headers you investigate. Be a bummer to receive nice shiney new headers and find something in the way when you go to install them. Now that I think about that the only thing required for a company to say "they fit M62" is to have the same bolt pattern to the block and at the Y pipe. More than a few times when doing aftermarket items I find the block end goes on great but the other end can be a bit frustrating.

I think this is where you would want to visit the local old fogy with a welding shop and see what he is able to do for you with custom work. Chances are you will have better fitment, much lower cost and have local good old boy support if something needs to be tweeked a bit.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That actually makes sense. I don't want to completely rule out a pre made set, but I literally moved from the city to the country. Lots of fab shops out here, might check out a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I was introduced to a welder and his shop 40+ years ago. I have to say I have an unhealthy relationship with that place and my projects. However their workmanship, friendly help and desire to take on anything different or new has resulted in some spectacular projects. A well placed bottle of bourbon, an occasional cigar and even an odd doughnut drop off has kept me in exhaust, fab work and even a few freebies over the years. They have done everything from Packard limousine work for me. full custom repairs, full dual on a Cadillac V12 and even marine exhaust on my twin Volvos.

·
Banned
901 Posts
ALthough things like headers may be universal across all M62 engines I would expect there to be a wide variety of Y pipe/cross over variations specific to fitment. I would pay very close attention to items around the exhaust manifold and double check the specs of whatever headers you investigate. Be a bummer to receive nice shiney new headers and find something in the way when you go to install them. Now that I think about that the only thing required for a company to say "they fit M62" is to have the same bolt pattern to the block and at the Y pipe. More than a few times when doing aftermarket items I find the block end goes on great but the other end can be a bit frustrating.

I think this is where you would want to visit the local old fogy with a welding shop and see what he is able to do for you with custom work. Chances are you will have better fitment, much lower cost and have local good old boy support if something needs to be tweeked a bit.
The oft maligned good ole boys. I bet thats the best route here too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts