RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am looking for advice from anyone who has a P38 with the M57 (D30) engine conversion.

Mine has been on the road for a few years now with a cut and shut oil sump from the donor X5, but where it was cut and shut it has distorted slightly meaning it is a nightmare to seal on the block.

I have read (maybe on this forum but cant find the thread now) that the sump from one of the car applications (5 series?) will fit without modification, i.e. doesn't clash with the front diff.

Anyway just wondering if there is anyone out there with an M57 where the sump is 'factory' not cut and shut, and if they know what vehicle it came off.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The M57 BMW block is based on the previous M51 block design. They are very similar.
The p38 version of the M51 sump is an alloy casting and is larger capacity than the car version to cope with off road angles. That would be your best bet if it fits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

The If is the big question, so I'm hoping there might be someone who has this engine fitted with a standard sump, I know that's a long shot (probably not that many M57 engine'd P38's out there) but the other option seems to involve buying different used sumps and seeing if any will fit...

Capacity wise the M51 engine'd P38 takes a couple more ltrs of oil than the E53 from what I can find online, I know capacity and shape aren't directly linked, but don't have much else to go on.

The E39 525 looks like it might work based on 6 - 6.5ltr capacity and pictures on fleebay but it would be great if anyone knows for sure either way.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For info of anyone else doing this in future, the P38 2.5d (M51) sump wont fit the M57 block. The M51 sump is longer and doesn't have clearance for the oil pump chain drive.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts