RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone... hopefully I don't sound too lame but I'm about to purchase a 2016 RR Sport in the next couple weeks from a friend (he's leaving the country for work for a few years and offering to sell to me for what he owes left on it) but before I 100% commit, I've been trying to do a lot of research but figure a majority of my questions might be answered more swiftly via a forum.

Background, this would be my first luxury brand card, so a majority of my questions will stem from that. I'm coming from a 2013 Jeep Rubicon (prior was a Mazda Speed 3) and was deciding between a new wrangler or used RR and ultimately decided on the RR because of this oppurtunity that just came up. Also find it kind of fitting that it's like combining my Jeep and MS3 in terms of SUV and speed.

Anyway first thing, price. From what I'm seeing online, I think the price is really good.

Specs: (photo attached of actual car):
- 2016 Range Rover Sport SE
- 14k miles
- Climate comfort and visibility package (heated seats/steering, blind spot monitoring)
- Fixed panoramic roof
- Upgraded to 22" black wheels
- Dark grey oak trim
- Black out fog lights

Asking price is $49,990, which is what he has left on the car. That seems like a deal right?

And then I have some other luxury brand car noob questions.

Tires:
I've always just got my tires from tire depot, or something similar. Because this is a luxury car, when it's time to replace or rotate, do you recommend sticking with the dealership? Kind of a weird question (and I hope it doesn't sound ignorant) but I've just never seen luxury cars at these places when I needed tires rotated or changed out haha.

Oil Changes:
Everyone keeps telling me I'm gonna be charged an arm and a leg for oil changes but from what I've googled, people say I'm expected to pay around $250 an oil change? That doesn't sound too bad especially if I'm only doing it 1-2 per year. I only drive to work twice a week so my mileage will be quite low which is why I don't think my oil changes will be frequent.

Cost of maintenance:
Again people keep telling me "to be careful" about this. I'm aware that the cost of maintenance will be higher for luxury cars but do RR's need more maintenance than the average car? Are they breaking down more frequently? What other yearly maintenance issues can I expect besides normal car maintenance?

First article on University of google literally states: "The annual cost estimate to maintain a Land Rover Range Rover is approximately $332**, depending on your service provider." That seems quite inexpensive haha. Again, I get if bigger issues arise, it's a different scenario but I wonder if all these "be careful about luxury cars" people are just people who've been burned...

Infotainment:
From videos on youtube and some articles I've read, the infotainement system on this thing looks pretty average, terrible really for the price. 90% of the time I'm using my phone anyway for google maps, Spotify, etc. but it would be nice to have something better. Are 2017 infotainment systems upgradeable/compatible for the 2016 models? I think I read somewhere that you can upgrade the 2017 models to add Apple CarPlay.

Anyway... I'm really excited and I hope it all works out, but if you have any advise regarding any of this or anything in general about being a range rover owner, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

89376D28-9105-49D2-A44D-3CF529E9A7DD.jpg

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
298 Posts
I’ve had a 2016 sport and this is my experience. I can’t really comment on the price.

Tires: if they are on rims and such I usually avoid the dealership, mainly cause it’s harder to book in with them. Most the time I use my tire guy to just take off and put on. Plus it’s easier to do cause in Ontario, Canada, I am always changing tires for winter and summer and rotate at that time. I don’t think you’ll have problems with the tires as long as it’s the right size etc.

I haven’t had anything that wasn’t covered by warranty. I think overall quality has gotten better.

Maintenance does cost more, but is easier and more reasonable because it’s annual. Call around cause I don’t believe the price is the same from dealer to dealer. Also, if you’re out of warranty and can find an independent shop, bonus!

Infotainment- you’re right. I just use my phone for everything. I bypass the in car system. It’s okay, just the phones are just so much responsive intuitive.
I use this to hold my phone and charge it using the cigarette lighter. It’s worked really well!

[2 Packs] Magnetic car mount,Mpow Air Vent Car Mount Magnetic Cell Phone Car Mount Universal Phone Mount Holder Car Cradle for iPhone 8/8Plus/7/7Plus/6s/6/6 Plus, Samsung Galaxy a5/note 8/S8 Plus/S7/S6 Edge/S6/S5 LG Huawei and Other Smartphones - Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XK6WFB7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WgziCbER6D54M

Truthfully, if you go ahead, the MY16 does have quirks (all manufactures do) but if you can get past them, you’ll probably fall in love the with brand and the car.

Good luck with the search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
Price seems okay. It’s the base model but the mileage is rather low. The price is easy to research on what dealers are selling for. The main drawback will be your deal includes the standard 4 year 50k warranty whereas a similar 2016 with low mileage from a dealer will almost certainly be a CPO that comes with a 6 year 100k warranty.

For tires I use a local tire place. Dealer charges too much in my opinion. I’ve had to change mine about every 25,000 miles, using the 22 inch continentals which ends up being around $2,000 for a set of 4.

For oil changes I used the prepaid plan but bank on services to be somewhere between $300-500 per visit. Fortunately these only come annually or every 16,500 miles or so.

Maintenance plan, I’m still under warranty as I bought the extended warranty at delivery. I would be hesitant to own this car outside of warranty or at least be willing to move on quickly if a problem developed. With that said my vehicle has been reliable in three plus years and 52k miles.

Infotainment cannot he upgraded. I suppose anything is possible with an unlimited budget, but to my knowledge nobody has upgraded a 16 to 17 information system on this forum which tells you all you need to know.

Good luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can't comment on the price. Doesn't seem bad but yes should be easy to research on kbb, edmunds etc. Tires I rarely go with the dealer. Use a local wheel/tire shop and either buy from them or buy from Tire Rack and drop ship to them. Oil changes yes around $250-ish per. I've had zero issues in 2 years and 25-30,000 miles.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
127 Posts
The price is likely too high. Used cars are rarely worth what you are left owing on them, unless you are at the very end of your lease/term. You should go into a dealer and look at other 2016 CPOs, get a sense of the options and colors, etc. These are not inexpensive and you owe it to yourself to find the best car for you and not just take one that fell into your lap.

Price wise remember that the asking price for used cars at a dealer are usually quite a bit higher than what you can actually get them for. Look at the trade-in number at KBB and Edmunds as a starting point (in real life dealers pay you a bit less than that for an actual trade). Dealer used cars should be sold at a premium that private sales, since they offer extra services and warranty and reassurance. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy your friends car, but you are doing them a big favor because their alternative is to get much less for it in a private sale. Also look at similar askiny prices for a 2016 RRS in cars.com and Auto Trader. You know more about this car which is a plus, but don't just pay whatever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
It doesn't matter if you dealer has very few few CPO. LRNA ONLY supports the factor warranty mileage and time frame. CPO is handled by a third party company ALWAYS

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
As far as price it not out of line at all. Up here, purchasing from private out fitted like your friends is $54984. That is with the nation average of 25K miles. So taking into account your only has 14K miles...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback, I replied earlier but they aren't posting for some reason but I'm close to finalizing the sale and hope everything works out! Excited to purchase my first Range Rover Sport! Been all over YouTube and Instagram looking and videos and photos.

One question I do have is a lot of photos I see has the tire looking real close to the fender, meaning there's not much wheel gap. Is this most likely because people are putting the car in access mode so it looks lowered?

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Mike you are a newbie, review the forum guidelines.

Dear fellow rangerovers.net members,

In an effort to keep spam from contaminating our forum, moderators and administrators have recently implemented a manual approval system for messages posted by newly registered members. You may have noticed a new category of members called "NEWBIES". The first handful of posts from such new members (whether new topics or replies to an existing topic) will need to be manually reviewed and approved by a forum moderator or administrator before appearing on the forum as intended. Eventually, newly registered users will automatically become regular forum members, able to post at will and without waiting. We feel this method will greatly diminish chances of spam, blatantly commercial and self promoting posts or PMs from cluttering our forums and slipping in unnoticed by mods and admins alike. It will also give us the opportunity to permanently ban spammers before they are ever able to post a single junk message on our beautiful site.

If you are a newly registered forum member with 2 or less posts under your belt and your freshly composed and submitted message does not appear right away on the forum as you expected, do not panic! :wink: Do not furiously compose and post the same message over and over again! :lol: Be patient and allow one of the resident mods and admins to review and approve it, as we routinely check for these specially flagged messages on every board several times per day. Depending on the time you post, it may take a few minutes or a few hours, but we will get to it and your message will soon appear where you intended it to be. Welcome to our community!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I ended up purchasing it and I’m in love! Definitely some quirky things about the vehicle, the speakers and infotainment center are just absolute trash! But considering I plan to upgrade the sound system and am ok using my phone for everything, the truck is a beast! Happy to be part of the RRS family

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts