Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I’ve been battling deformed lug nut caps for years but now have a new problem. I think the tire place I had it at recently stripped the cap such that it spins when trying to loosen it get the tire off.
Anyone have a suggestion on how to deal with a stripped cap?

Perhaps a clean way to pop it off without beating up the rim?

Many thanks.

· Registered
2011 L320 RRS 3.0 TDV6 HSE Luxury with Dynamic Pack - Fuji White on Ebony with Ivory contrast
1,160 Posts
22 or 7/8” deep impact socket and a hammer. Beat the socket onto the lug nut in roughly the correct orientation then remove. Then beat the lug nut out of the socket. When done replace with Gorilla one piece lug nuts.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've been thinking of doing tht but figured to see what the forum had to say. Already ordered solid lug nuts to replace. My bad for not doing that earlier.

· Registered
2011 L320 RRS 3.0 TDV6 HSE Luxury with Dynamic Pack - Fuji White on Ebony with Ivory contrast
1,160 Posts
Other option is try to very delicately chisel the cap off, but it takes a lot more time and effort than just whacking a socket into place. Use a bigger hammer than the socket so it’s harder to miss. Or use a beater extension so you’re further away from the wheel. Not sure what your resources are though.

· Premium Member
2013 Autobiography RRS 5.0SC...L322 03 Vogue 4.4lt
532 Posts
Very good idea...what was Land rover thinking when they put this S/S covered lug nut on a vehicle as heavy as this.
I will do the same as you @Murry and purchase a set of solids and fit before the tire outlet get my vehicle i a year or so to fit new tires...and i despise locking lug nuts as i always miss place the key lug nut and have to bash the bloody nut off anyway.

· Registered
2006 l322 Westminster #41
1,941 Posts
Would really appreciate a heads up on where to purchase the solid wheel nut as I have seen items but not 100% sure they would be correct. Thanks

· Premium Member
532 Posts
Would really appreciate a heads up on where to purchase the solid wheel nut as I have seen items but not 100% sure they would be correct. Thanks
A place like this...https://www.lrparts.net/lr068126-set-of-20-heavy-duty-one-piece-alloy-wheel-nuts-in-black-for-range-rover-l322-l405-range-rover-sport-2005-onwards-discovery-3-4-5.html..... have what you're looking for , might not be you're model but will have though. sorry i couldn't copy the link you'll have to go into the web page.....just an example what's out there.

· Registered
2007 Range Rover 4.2 SC V8
546 Posts
14 x 1.5 mag seat

I got fed up with the stock ones, the nuts behind the caps are hollow in the center. I took a punch and punched through the cap and pried? Pryed? Them off when they started to slip.
I found a decent set of solid ones and threw the others out. Good riddance

· Premium Member
532 Posts
14 x 1.5 mag seat

I got fed up with the stock ones, the nuts behind the caps are hollow in the center. I took a punch and punched through the cap and pried? Pryed? Them off when they started to slip.
I found a decent set of solid ones and threw the others out. Good riddance
Where did you get yours (nuts that is) from Aaron? cost? not being personal either mate. 😁

· Registered
2007 Range Rover 4.2 SC V8
546 Posts
I did not mention that specifically in fear of being judged. Auto parts stores wanted 30$ per nut!!!. I found a set of 20 on amazon for 45$. Gambled and tried them out and they worked well. Haven't rusted or come loose.

EOTH 20PCS 1.81" Black 14x1.5 Closed End Bulge Acorn Lug Nuts - Mag Seat - 0.87" Hex Wheel Lug Nuts for Land Rover LR3 LR4 Range Rover & Sport https://a.co/d/8Zx125x

· LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
6,067 Posts
I bought some off evilbay to replace the locknuts. The wheel nuts already on the car didn’t have covers.

· Premium Member
532 Posts
I did not mention that specifically in fear of being judged. Auto parts stores wanted 30$ per nut!!!. I found a set of 20 on amazon for 45$. Gambled and tried them out and they worked well. Haven't rusted or come loose.

EOTH 20PCS 1.81" Black 14x1.5 Closed End Bulge Acorn Lug Nuts - Mag Seat - 0.87" Hex Wheel Lug Nuts for Land Rover LR3 LR4 Range Rover & Sport EOTH 20PCS 1.81" Black 14x1.5 Closed End Bulge Acorn Lug Nuts - Mag Seat - 0.87" Hex Wheel Lug Nuts for Land Rover LR3 LR4 Range Rover & Sport : Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement
Thank you Aaron, I’ll have a look at Amazon Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
57 Posts
Very good idea...what was Land rover thinking when they put this S/S covered lug nut on a vehicle as heavy as this.
I will do the same as you @Murry and purchase a set of solids and fit before the tire outlet get my vehicle i a year or so to fit new tires...and i despise locking lug nuts as i always miss place the key lug nut and have to bash the bloody nut off anyway.
" ... what was Land rover thinking when they put this S/S covered lug nut on a vehicle as heavy as this."

The same as MG when they put S/S covered lug nuts on such a light car as the MGF. They were thinking that people changing wheels would use a long handled wrench (spanner if you prefer) to loosen them and a long handled torque wrench (spanner) to tighten them. Tire jockeys use air guns set on high as time is money to them. The impact wrench rounds the S/S covers, especially here in the US where most tire shops use SAE sockets regardless of the car. I think the USA is the last country in the world not using the metric system.

BTW, I believe the S/S lug nuts have free rotating washers that actually contact the wheel surface, avoiding undue wear on the wheel centers. Solid lug nuts don't. I have seen wheel centers cracked from using solid lug nuts and an impact wrench.

· Premium Member
532 Posts
" ... what was Land rover thinking when they put this S/S covered lug nut on a vehicle as heavy as this."

The same as MG when they put S/S covered lug nuts on such a light car as the MGF. They were thinking that people changing wheels would use a long handled wrench (spanner if you prefer) to loosen them and a long handled torque wrench (spanner) to tighten them. Tire jockeys use air guns set on high as time is money to them. The impact wrench rounds the S/S covers, especially here in the US where most tire shops use SAE sockets regardless of the car. I think the USA is the last country in the world not using the metric system.

BTW, I believe the S/S lug nuts have free rotating washers that actually contact the wheel surface, avoiding undue wear on the wheel centers. Solid lug nuts don't. I have seen wheel centers cracked from using solid lug nuts and an impact wrench.
You haven't forgot where and who built these vehicles...this is why ! ;)

· Registered
1,160 Posts
There’s a few manufacturers who have done SS covers on the lug nuts. GM and Ford also come to mind. As pointed out it’s the use of impact guns that actually does the lug nuts in. I know everyone says it’s rust between the stainless and metal lug, but how did the gap for it to exist come to be? Usually an impact gun deforming the SS cover. The answer @bkwanab gave is also spot on, hand tools with correct fitting sockets is what’s intended to be used. Good luck finding a shop that does this though. I personally do it where I work, I also use a torque wrench to put them back on. That is unless the previous shop went impact crazy and I have to break out the angry tools to get them off.

As for lug nuts, I’ll only recommend one brand from lots of experience with their products and that’s Gorilla. I have intentionally beaten and abused their lug nuts and they just kept coming back for more. They are solid lug nuts with the washer and the chrome is very durable, not entirely sure about the black coating.

Font Electronic device Technology Gas Circle

· Premium Member
532 Posts
I have seen wheel centers cracked from using solid lug nuts and an impact wrench.
This is a real fact using any type of lug nut...you use a impact (angry tool) gun and over time i can see you 'll have damage....like @NoExpet has mentioned general hand tooling and a torque wrench is all you need after fitting a tire.
@NoExpert, these Gorilla lug nuts that have been described to us seem to be the real deal...so i have already bit the bullet and purchase a set and if i decide they are good enough to keep my family safe i'm a happy man...no more rusted, stuck or damaged lug nuts.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I have solutioned this problem. Formerly capped lug nut is off and new solid one on. This is what I did.

I took a dremel fitted with a metal cutter and “gently” cut off the cap end making sure to not cut the rim. about 3/16 or 1/8 back from the cap end. I then was able to pry off the SS to a solid lug nut behind the cap which takes a 21mm socket. However, this was enough room to get on a socket to get the nut loose. So I put flat head screwdriver between the nut and the SS cover and went around the nut lifting it from the nut. With the cap pushed back and away I could get more of the socket and for some this may be enough it was not for me (started to strip the nut).

I kept at peeling back the SS cap and eventually it split in half and I was able to lever out the cap and pull it out with pliers. With the full nut exposed and a 21mm socket it was easy to remove.

Note I surrounded the area in heavy duty duct tape to protect the rim and that worked ok but there was some minor damage.

Hopes this helps someone in the future

1 - 20 of 35 Posts