RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this truck a year and half ago. It came with aftermarket 20 inch wheels which i hate. I got my hands on some RR Sport 20 inch wheels that ill be putting on. I did the cv axle few months ago and realise that they previous owner converted from OEM lugs to the standard lug and lug nuts set up. I havnt taken it apart yet to see how he did but just wanted to see if anyone had this issue. Thank you

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,997 Posts
you need to remove the wheel and take a picture of the lugs and the nuts,
otherwise you know as much as we do

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Bizarre on all fronts. I can;t imagine anyone changing lugs to install rims. The conversion of lugs and nuts would cost as much as the tacky rims they installed. Are you sure they didn't just use tapered instead of ledged Rover nuts, or the other way around?

Of course as we have no idea what year rig you have there's not much more we can guess at.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points im getting new tires soon within a week or so ill be doing some more investigation to see what exactly they did. ill have some more info once i take the calipers off and get back with you guys

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Do you mean that they used conical acorn style nuts instead of collared lug nuts like factory?

I think there's confusion on what your explaining Your explanation sounds like someone converted it to stud nuts like a volkswagen e which I assume isn't what you meant.

Lug nuts are wheel specific so if the aftermarket rim requires an acorn then a collared lug like oem wouldn't be used. You just need to get oem style lug nuts for the factory wheels. I would recommend gorilla nuts available on Amazon eBay etc. way better than factory

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,997 Posts
A few pictures will clear things up.............
removing the calipers will not reveal what kind of lug nuts you have or the studs
right now its clear as mud.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know for sure its converted to lugs and lug nuts just gotta remove the calipers to see the complete set up. Hoping ill be able to remove them without any fuss

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
ALL Land Rovers have lugs and lug nuts. In fact most every car on the road has lugs and lug nuts. So posting that it has been converted TO lugs and lug nuts means nothing. We also still have no clue what year rig you have. As noted above some years have tapered lug nuts and others have collared or "top hat" lug nuts. More than a few members over the years have cried foul and been confused. You could also have a situation where the stainless steel caps have been removed from factory lug nuts. When you add in that there would be no way to convert down to smaller lugs and converting up to larger lugs would be simply useless, your post makes no sense without photos. You do not need to remove a caliper to post a photo of a nut. :lol:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
IMG_8362.JPG

It's a caliper on a nut, get it....

I miss goose....

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
LMAO... I was goinna post a pic of an acorn... Your shot is far ahead of anything I would have come up with.

Agreed, nobody could make light of a thread like Goose. :sad:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ladies and gentlemen. to be more clear my truck is a 07. My 05 had the conical style and this doesn't. As a few of you stated some trucks have the conical style and the traditional syle. It is not uncommon for people to convert in order to expand wheel choices not sure.

either way one i get the new tires ill figure it out. good info though which clarify somethings

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Actually the proper method is to match the nuts to the requirement of the rim to ensure proper securement. The actual studs are not replaced, just the nuts. There are pages of lug nut manufacturers that make different lengths and fitments for L322/Sport/LR3/LR4 studs. They come in many finishes and can easily be custom coated to match whatever bizarre finish a customer can think up. I can not imagine there would ever be a reason to replace the studs on an L322 for after market rims. The L322/L320 models were the first mass market push for aftermarket rim companies. The L322 was really the start of the whole customizing mentality and everyone under the sun wanted on board.

Are you perhaps referring to seeing spacers?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen. to be more clear my truck is a 07. My 05 had the conical style and this doesn't. As a few of you stated some trucks have the conical style and the traditional syle. It is not uncommon for people to convert in order to expand wheel choices not sure.

either way one i get the new tires ill figure it out. good info though which clarify somethings
To be more clear? Dont you mean "what I should have said in my first post"?
And you "know for sure" its been converted to "lugs and lug nuts"?
May I ask....WTF are you talking about? ALL L322's had lugs (studs) and nuts. Are you really saying some idiot removed all the studs, put different ones in there, then installed some junk after market rims with a different style lug nut? The lug nut I have no problem with, that was probably more ignorance from an AutoZone acne riddled teenager than anything else, but the studs? Nope.
Why would anyone swap studs out? To try to utilize those "Dubs" sitting in the corner that were actually made for a 1979 Caprice?
This is why I dont buy rigs that have been attacked by African tree monkeys with a brain disorder.

By all means, pull the caliper, axle shafts, differential, and so on, to show us these magical "lugs" though.... Or just get a set of OEM lug nuts and install some Rover wheels to your Rover.

Martin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts