RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so it isn't the lube shop that did it to me this time -- the last time a lube shop overfilled my brake fluid reservoir and caused all sorts of havoc. This time the tire shop did a simple tire rotation and managed to knock something askew in my ABS system. :clap: I'm getting the ABS Fault and Traction Failure messages and lights on my 99 4.0SE. I'm guessing they knocked one of my sensors out of whack. I don't want them touching the thing again, so I'm going to do some troubleshooting myself. Others on here have mentioned loose ABS sensors -- so I'll check for that and any other kind of obvious damage to the sensors or their wiring. How fragile are the sensors? Can I try to tap them back in with a rubber mallet or a block of wood with a small hammer? Any other things I should be looking at while I'm under there? I just had a new ABS booster installed, but the messages came on immediately after I got the rig back from the tire shop.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
One of the first things the mass service shops do is lift a P38 by the frame... stretching the airbags, level potentiometers, lines to the axles, brakes, suspension components, etc. to their max travel. Always best to lift a P38 by the axles, or very carefully when the axles need to be lowered for component repair. Unless your vehicle is regularly articulated off road, most of these systems haven't been flexed like this in years.

The ABS sensors are behind the brake rotor shield. (not normally a place tire replacement folk mess around.) They should be able to be pressed back into the hub by hand, or maybe a light tap with a mallet. Remove each wheel and inspect each ABS sensor fitment and cabling. If an ABS sensor has backed out the grime line where the sensor beds too should make it obvious. You'll hopefully find a sensor or connector loose from the stretch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I gave all four ABS sensors and the wiring a good check and didn't see any obvious problems. I gave all of the sensors a few taps with a rubber mallet to make sure they were properly seated. I still have the warning messages and the warning lights. I guess my next option is to take it to my local indie shop and have them check the codes. Bummer.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
I had a similar issue a few months ago and it was resolved when I changed my pads and discs.

Recently I have been getting a squeek and thought the pads might have needed changing, I have also been getting the ABS and TC lights coming almost everytime I started the car - I've checked my pads and they are still like brand new - A local Indy has diagnosed a bad Accumulator and has reccomended swapping the ABS pump at the same time.

I am toying with the idea of just swapping the accumulator, but will definitely get the sensors checked out in case they are also responsible for the squeak :think:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's something to consider in my machine -- it needs new pads and rotors on the rear, so maybe that will remedy the problem.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ka177ran said:
I am toying with the idea of just swapping the accumulator, but will definitely get the sensors checked out in case they are also responsible for the squeak :think:

Do it. I had a simmerlar problem with mine, changed the accumulator for a brand new one and everything is fine now. Local garage said it was the £700 of ABS pump that was knackered and needed replacing. My arse was it. 10mins and only £90 later everything was grand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got a call from the shop. My ABS and Traction faults were caused by a loose brake stop light switch. Now how that happened in conjunction with a trip to the tire shop for a rotation is beyond me. Was it merely a coincidence, or did they manage to knock it loose somehow? In any event, it wasn't a major fix and now I can spend my money on some deferred wear items like rear brakes and shocks.

·
Registered
541 Posts
That's good news! If it is the switch that is above the brake pedal then perhaps they kicked it by accident or it is just coincidence. The one on my X type is determined to fall off every few months.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Bolt17 said:
I just got a call from the shop. My ABS and Traction faults were caused by a loose brake stop light switch.
I've had a stroke of luck too - My ABS Lights stopped coming on after I tightened the negative battery terminal :shhh:

Can't believe that Indy wanted me to replace the ABS Accumulater and Pump :doh:

How do these people sleep at night?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts