RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I think I might be able to get my hands on an LT85 (Santana) manual 5 speed transmission including matching transferbox, which was mated to a 3.5V8 (which is also included in the deal). In my car I have the same engine, but a 3 speed Torqueglide auto. Frankly I really dislike automatic transmissions. The 3 speed is smooth, but seems to leak at times and does not exactly provide stellar acceleration.

Question is would an LT85 fit in the range range rover? As far as I can tell the combination was only fitted in the Defender. I know the transfer case on the 3 speed is very different with an almost 1:1 high range ratio. So regardless I would swap it all as a full set. I would need to find a clutch pedal, but I think the manual stick will fit through the cover already in the console.

Worth the effort?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
yes it will fit but being a santana box you may be in for a surprise when it fails, santana had a knack for using their own style of land rover parts. often british parts have difficulty fitting in santana cases, if going manual I highly reccomend an r380 with lt 230 t case.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
359 Posts
yes it will fit but being a santana box you may be in for a surprise when it fails, santana had a knack for using their own style of land rover parts. often british parts have difficulty fitting in santana cases, if going manual I highly reccomend an r380 with lt 230 t case.
Santana was lightyears ahead of BL Solihull when it came to building things properly, including gearboxes. This part has to be coming out of a 3.5 carbed (not Defender) 110 from the UK.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Santana was lightyears ahead of BL Solihull when it came to building things properly, including gearboxes. This part has to be coming out of a 3.5 carbed (not Defender) 110 from the UK.
Well, it is suppose to have come out of a 1987 which looks like a 90 (SWB) and has a 3.5 V8 (carb) so yes it probably is a UK model imported later.

Not sure when they started using the Defender name, I am more of a Series man myself

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had to custom make it as it was a 4 speed from 1974 , the 5 speed pushed it up higher and further in towards the front

Still work in progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
372 Posts
Sorry, not going to let this one slide without laughing... Santana deisels are the biggest pieces of garbage you can find in the US. The Juans have a terrible reputation for NLA parts, and if they were lightyears ahead of solihull then they would still be making them today........

All that aside, the swap should work... If it were to fail, you should be able to pull it apart with little issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts