RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Considering the idea of getting rid of the 4.6 for a Chevy 5.3.
I keep having issues with my engine, and even on it's good days, I could use a little more power.
I'd LOVE to see a L83 running under that good ...
I know there is already a (very good) thread dedicated to an LS swap on this forum, but I'd like to know what you think about it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Is there something mechanically wrong with your 4.6, or could you just benefit from plugs, leads and cleaned injectors? They run nicely when properly maintained. I transformed mine in the last 18 months

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Huge amount of work.

·
Registered
450 Posts
their is people that have gone down this road you start at the transfer case and work forwards from their. your big problem is getting the shaft that adapts the two together , you need to speak with martin about that (LS conversion). if you can get him to do another run off shafts i will take one . good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The mechanical side of things is just engineering, it's tying it in with all the electronics and getting everything else to work that takes the skill.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Been there and done it.
I did a big write up, search for it.

Martin

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
237 Posts
swaps are almost never an economical solution on modern cars and swapping will without a doubt cost a lot more money/time than maintaining the current V8.

then again if you want more power, even a mild 5.3 has more power on the table than the hottest RV8s out there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been there and done it.
I did a big write up, search for it.

Martin
Yes, I read your thread and I wrote you some PM. You didn't answer to the last one (adaptor shaft availability).

·
Registered
959 Posts
To me, this is one of those things you have to really want to do. If you aren't going to enjoy the project by overcoming the challenges that come up, its probably a bad idea. I think Martin's project was awesome and I was happy to follow it at the time. But he has the full suite of skills needed and the place to do it. Welding, mechanics, access to machinists, understanding of electrics. And a crap load of patience.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Agree entirely. It isn't simply a case of pulling one engine out and fitting a different one unless you want to do away with the EAS, ABS, BeCM, etc. Then you'd just end up with something like a Ford Bronco that looks like a Range Rover..

·
Registered
450 Posts
it sounds like their is enough interest in the conversion ,maybe martin could do another run of shafts , with you and me that makes 2 and i'm sure there is more if the word was put out for them to come forward
so how about it martin , one more run off shafts please?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I'll try to get with my "shaft" guy rofl
And sorry about not replying, I kept it as new to remind me.... which was a mistake apparently lo

·
Registered
27 Posts
I suspect some knowledge might be transferred from a similar swap on a DII

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
OK, I'm waiting to hear back for the guy that made the adapter shafts many moons ago. They are finding the specs and pricing, then I should know early next week.
I've seen the D2 kits, but have no direct experience with them. One thing that you may be overlooking.....the transfer case is different than a P38 case. Not sure if they use the D2 trans or not, but worth considering.
If I get a price, as a heads up, I will not order a thing until they are paid for up front. Sorry, but been stuck with bumpers, sliders, etc in the past.
I'll need a number for him, so if anyone is seriously interested enough to hand over money, post here so i know what number to get. I'm expecting under $500 per shaft if I get at least three, but that remains to be seen

Martin

·
Registered
450 Posts
the d2 mentioned has a tl 230 transfer . disco;s aren't range rovers if you want disco stuff its availiable off the shelf (marks4x4) have it (,watch the video)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
put me down for one please martin . do you still have my email address
Please pm me again, or email me if you have mine mate.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts